Subject: [6lowapp] certificate compression

From: "Eddy, Wesley M. (GRC-MS00)[Verizon]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:59:42 -0500

In the bar-BoF at IETF 75, I recall a bullet on one of Don's
slides mentioning the need for a certificate compression
mechanism.

One existing standard for X.509 certificate compression that
I know of was developed as part of the Aeronautical
Telecommunications Network (ATN) SARPS, where the limited
bandwidth of air-ground links drove the development of the
mechanism.

It's discussed briefly in:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=964255
which mentions and order of magnitude reduction in size on
the link.

Some specifics can be found online in:
http://www.mccallumwhyman.com/downloads/atnsarps/e3/ed3vol8.pdf

A similar technique may be applicable for the problem spaces
6LowApp considers.

---------------------------
Wes Eddy
Network & Systems Architect
Verizon FNS / NASA GRC
Office: (216) 433-6682
---------------------------