Subject: [6lowapp] Device profiles

From: Jon Smirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:14:08 -0500

Is 6lowapp planning to develop something like Zigbee device profiles
and cluster library? I'm looking at the Zigbee specs for these and I
can't use them because of their GPL incompatibly. What alternatives
exist?

I currently have 6lowpan and http running on a mc13224.

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]

---

From: "Don Sturek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:29:19 -0800

Hi Jon,

Right now, the CoAP envisions an attribute protocol that follows REST (GET,
SET, PUT and DELETE).   The structures and attribute content formats are not
addressed (and probably would not be).  It would then be up to individual
application developers to define these structures.

In this regard, I would assume that CoAP would not end up looking like
either existing ZigBee device profiles or have the application specifics of
the ZigBee Cluster Library.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Jon Smirl
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [6lowapp] Device profiles

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
6lowapp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowapp

---

From: Jon Smirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:46:42 -0500

> application developers to define these structures.

This approach works fine for me too.  It would make sense to define
standard names for the http parameters and responses in order to
achieve interoperability.

How are you going to integrate a constrained node that only xmits
periodically like a temperature sensors? UDP with a cache and a TTL?
The cache would need to respond to http requests.

What about service discovery?

> the ZigBee Cluster Library.

Is the idea to provide a parallel solution minus the the Zigbee
licensing baggage?

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]

---

From: "Don Sturek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:40:03 -0800

Hi Jon,

Here is a link to the problem statement for CoAP:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-shelby-6lowapp-coap-00.txt

I think most of the points you asked about are to be addressed.

Don

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Smirl [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [6lowapp] Device profiles

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]