Subject: [6lowapp] Reference implementation

From: Jon Smirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:11:34 -0500

What are the plans for a 6lowapp reference implementation?

For example there is a 6lowpan implementation in Contiki, but nobody
is updating it to track the current proposals.
Does a ROLL reference implementation exist?

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]

---

From: Jorge Amodio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:50:35 -0600

I second Jon's question, I'm planning to put together a reference implementation
using a Microchip MCU and MRF24J40 but besides Contiki, ArchRock and few
more incomplete efforts it's hard to find an active open reference
implementation.

Any pointers ? suggestions ?

Regards
Jorge

---

From: Brian Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:14:12 -0500

It is likely that Tridium will build an open source implementation of CoAP
as part of their Sedona framework project (http://sedonadev.org/index.html).
 Note Sedona's 6LoWPAN stack is *not* open source (they use Jennic's stack),
but the CoAP protocol likely will be open source.

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Jorge Amodio <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6lowapp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowapp
>

---

From: Jon Smirl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:36:55 -0500

> more incomplete efforts it's hard to find an active open reference

In my past experiences an open reference implementation makes the
standardization process go much faster and the end result is way more
compatible. This is no way implies that companies aren't free to do
closed implementations also.

6lowapp could be developed as a user space program using sockets until
everything is sorted out. Then take the core code and port it into the
devices.

Building ten different implementations of this code doesn't benefit
anyone since it introduces compatibility problems. Compatibility
problems are extremely expensive to fix once they get into the
customer's hands. The idea is to sell finished devices not dev tools.
Expanding the market through compatibility maximizes the volume of
devices sold.

Look at the mess Zigbee is in. The Zigbee IP license is GPL
incompatible. Every one of those little home routers run Linux. The
Zigbee license makes it impossible to build a simple Linux based
router with a SPI connected 802.15.4 radio in it.

I picked Contiki because it already has a working TCP stack both IPv4
and IPv6.
It has been ported to these CPUs: 6502  arm  at91sam7s  avr  cc2430
mc1322x  msp430  x86  z80
It isn't hard to port it to other CPUs. The license has almost no
restrictions other than leaving the copyright notice in.

My hardware is based on the mc13224. I have a little IPv6/6lowpan web
server running on it under Contiki. I'll share my code. Here's a cheap
place to get mc13224 hardware (i bought my dev hardware there).
http://www.redwirellc.com/store/
There is also a USB stick with integrated JTAG (ft2232) that will be
coming out soon.

-- 
Jon Smirl
[email-masked]