Subject: [6lowapp] New I-D: Initial Configuration of Resource-Constrained Devices (aka: Bootstrapping / Commissioning)

From: "Oflynn, Colin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 00:21:50 -0700

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-oflynn-core-bootstrapping-00.txt

Lots to do in here still. Note this was posted yesterday, but I didn't get around to forwarding the announcement. This updates the previous 6lowapp bootstrapping document a bit too, but is posted as a new I-D to move to the CoRE group.

Regards,

  -Colin

Filename:          draft-oflynn-core-bootstrapping
Version:           00
Title:             Initial Configuration of Resource-Constrained Devices
Creation_date:     2010-02-28
WG ID:             Individual Submission
Number_of_pages: 28
Abstract:
The Internet of Things is marching its way towards completion.  Nodes
can use standards from the 6LoWPAN and ROLL WG to achieve IP
connectivity.  IEEE Standards ensure connectivity at lower layers for
resource-constrained devices.  Yet a central problem remains at a
more basic layer without a suitable answer: how to initially
configure the network.  Without configuration the network never
advances beyond a large box of nodes.  Current solutions tend to be
specific to a certain vendor, node type, or application.

This document outlines exactly what problems are faced in solving
this problem.  General problems faced in any low-power wireless
network are outlined first; followed by how these apply to
bootstrapping.  A selection of currently proposed techniques is
presented.  From these a more generic approach is presented, which
can solve the problem for a wide range of situations.

An emphasis is on performing this bootstrapping in a secure manner.
This document does not cover operation of the network securely.  This
document does provide the basis for allowing the network to operate
securely however, by providing standard methods for key exchanges and
authentication.

Submitter: Colin O'Flynn ([email-masked])

Author(s):
Colin O'Flynn, [email-masked]
Behcet Sarikaya, [email-masked]