Subject: [6lowpan] Agenda and latest charter

From: gabriel montenegro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:01:24 -0800

Folks,

According to the cutoff dates for the next IETF:

http://www.ietf.org/meetings/cutoff_dates_62.html

We have until this Monday to make our scheduling changes. We have asked for a 2 hour slot
as per the request included below. Even though it does not appear yet on the preliminary
agenda, it will appear in due time.

Below you'll see the proposed slot agenda as well as the current version of the charter for
our working group proposal. Please send in any further suggestions to the agenda soon.

thanks,

-gabriel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: Request for for a slot in Minneapolis was done using the format for BoF
meetings, although it is expected to become a WG before the meeting.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a. IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4 [6LOWPAN] ("IPv6 over low-power WPAN")

b. Internet Area (int)
   Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
   Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>

c. Conflicts to Avoid:
   IPv6, V6OPS, MANET, ROHC, MOBOPTS, MIP6, MULTI6, CAPWAP, MOBIKE,
   NEMO, RFID, AUTOCONF

d. Expected Attendance: 100

e. Special Requests: Not on Friday

f. Number of slots: 1

g. Length of slot: 2 hours

---------------------------------
 IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4 [6LOWPAN]
---------------------------------
Chairs:
  Geoff Mulligan <[email-masked]>
  Nandakishore Kushalnagar <[email-masked]>
  Gabriel Montenegro <[email-masked]>

Duration:
  2 Hour

Agenda:

  Agenda Bashing	       5m

  Problem Statement            25m
	6LoWPAN: Overview, Requirements, Assumptions, Problems and Goals
	draft-kushalnagar-lowpan-goals-assumptions

	The original milestones targetted a WG last call on this document for
	February, which is not likely. Thus, this slot will hopefully arrive
	at closure to prepare for the WG last call.

  IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4   	30m
  	Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 Networks
        draft-montenegro-lowpan-ipv6-over-802.15.4

	Summarize the decisions taken and the technical approach. Finer
	details about framing, header compression and packet delivery in a
	mesh will benefit from the discussion.

  Security Discussion      	20m
  	No draft yet. The purpose is to put forth an initial description of
	the threat model and the potential solutions in order to better
	understand which IETF security mechanisms are relevant.

  Implementation Considerations	20m
  	No draft yet. This slot will allow us to talk about how one would
	implement such a device. Although this does not directly reflect
	a document targetted for WG official status, it is important from
	the point of view of better understanding and sharing what actual
	"running code" might be like.

  Gap Discussion	       20m
	No draft yet. The goal is to discuss what other desirable work items
	are missing from the current charter and how to address them.

NOTE: FYI, The WG charter as proposed and as being discussed follows below:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4 (6lowpan)

    Chair(s): ???

    Internet Area Director(s):

*Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>* <mailto:[email-masked]>
*Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>*
<mailto:[email-masked]>

    Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe:  [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe
List Info: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

    Description of Working Group:

Note: Given that there is not much precedent for this type of activity at the
IETF, the text that follows is of an introductory nature. Hence, its objective
is to give a general idea of the application area and motivations for the work.
In particular, this section is not to be construed as detailing work items for
the working group. That is done in the following section on the "Scope of the
Working Group."

Well-established fields such as control networks, and burgeoning ones such as
"sensor" (or transducer) networks, are increasingly being based on wireless
technologies.  Most (but certainly not all) of these nodes are amongst the most
constrained that have ever been networked wirelessly. Extreme low power (such
that they will run potentially for years on batteries) and extreme low cost
(total device cost in single digit dollars, and riding Moore's law to
continuously reduce that price point) are seen as essential enablers towards
their deployment in networks with the following characteristics:

    * Significantly more devices than current networks
    * Severely limited code and ram space (e.g., highly desirable to fit
      the required code--MAC, IP and anything else needed to execute the
      embedded application-- in, for example,  32K of flash memory, using 8-bit
      microprocessors)
    * Unobtrusive but very different user interface for configuration
      (e.g., using gestures or interactions involving the physical world)
    * Robustness and simplicity in routing or network fabric

A chief component of these devices is wireless communication technology.  In
particular, the IEEE 802.15.4 standard is very promising for the lower
(physical and link) layers.  As for higher layer functions, there is
considerable interest from non-IETF groups in using IP technology (the ZigBee
alliance, for example, is currently studying what such a work item might
entail). The working group is expected to coordinate and interact with such
groups.

The required work includes items in the following (incomplete) list:

    * IP adaptation/Packet Formats and interoperability
    * Addressing schemes and address management
    * Network management
    * Routing in dynamically adaptive topologies
    * Security, including set-up and maintenance
    * Application programming interface
    * Discovery (of devices, of services, etc)
    * Implementation considerations

Whereas at least some of the above items are within the purview of the
IETF, at this point it is not clear that all of them are. Accordingly,
the 6LoWPAN working group will address a reduced, more focused set of
objectives.

    Scope of 6lowpan:

Produce "Problems Statement, Assumptions and Goals for IPv6 for LoWPANs"
(draft-ietf-lowpan-goals-assumptions-xx.txt) to define the problem statement
and goals of 6lowpan networks.

Produce "Transmission of IPv6 Packets over IEEE 802.15.4 WPAN Networks"
(draft-ietf-lowpan-ipv6-over-802.15.4-xx.txt) to define the basic packet
formats and sub-IP adaptation  layer for transmission of IPv6 packets over IEEE
802.15.4. This includes framing, adaptation, header compression and address
generation.  Furthermore, IEEE 802.15.4 devices are expected to be deployed in
mesh topologies.

As such, the working group may also work on an informational document to show
how to apply an existing MANET protocol to LoWPANs (e.g., AODV, OLSR, DYMO,
etc).

The working group will reuse existing specifications whenever reasonable and
possible.

The working group will also serve as a venue for ongoing discussions on other
topics related to the more complete list outlined above.  Additional related
milestones may be added in the future via a rechartering operation.

Note: As may be obvious from its official name above, this particular working
group will not work on IPv4 over IEEE 802.15.4 specifications.  Given the
limitations of the target devices, dual-stack deployments are not practical.
Because of its higher potential for header compression, its support for the
huge number of devices expected and of cleanly built-in features such as
address autoconfiguration, IPv6 is the exclusive focus of the working group.

    Goals and Milestones:

MAR 2005
	   	Working group last call on draft-ietf-lowpan-goals-assumptions-xx.txt
APR 2005
	   	Submit draft-ietf-lowpan-goals-assumptions-xx.txt to IESG for
		consideration of publication as Informational
MAY 2005
	   	Working Group Last Call on draft-ietf-lowpan-ipv6-over-802.15.4-xx.txt
JUL 2005
	   	Submit draft-ietf-lowpan-ipv6-over-802.15.4-xx.txt to IESG for
		consideration of publication as Proposed Standard

------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan