Subject: [6lowpan] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-nordmark-6lowpan-reg-00]

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:50:47 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-nordmark-6lowpan-reg-00
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:44:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-nordmark-6lowpan-reg-00.txt has been 
successfuly submitted by Erik Nordmark and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-nordmark-6lowpan-reg
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Neighbor Discovery Registration Extension
Creation_date:	 2008-06-16
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 9

Abstract:
In order to reduce Neighbor Discovery multicast messages it is useful
if the routers on a link can maintain an authoritative list of the
IPv6 and layer 2 addresses for all the hosts on the link.

This draft specifies an extension to the Router Advertisement
messages which trigger to hosts to send periodic registration
messages which can be either unicast, multicast, or anycast.  The
protocol uses a soft-state approach to gather registration
information.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:47:17 +0200

Hi Erik:

I like very much your idea of a new registration message, that's cleaner
than changing NS like I do in the BbR proposal. 

OTOH, we do not seem to have the same model for the LoWPAN. In
particular, your draft seems to  assume that the host would want to
reach numerous routers and register to them all.

For instance, if you have an oil plant or a factory, it makes little
sense for a sensor node to go all across the factory across numerous
LoWPAN hops to register to a router that the node will never use.

In my mind, the LoWPAN nodes form dynamic clusters around the nearest
router and use it. Routers might share a faster, powered network that is
called a backbone in ISA parlance, to discover and reach one another.

Pascal

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Erik Nordmark
>Sent: lundi 16 juin 2008 19:51
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [6lowpan] [Fwd: New Version Notification
fordraft-nordmark-6lowpan-reg-00]