Subject: Re: [6tisch-security] 6tisch bootstrap

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 11:35:54 -0400

Peter agreed to my sharing this.

peter van der Stok <[email-masked]> wrote:
    > My suggestion is to make the protocol less RPL specific. There are
    > stacks with other routing protocols, and it would be a pity if your
    > solution could not be used outside tisch.

I think that it could be used...

    > ND supports the concept of default router, and you could use that to
    > propagate the packet from default router to default router to 6LBR.  Or
    > work on a way that the routing can be present during the ND process as
    > Pascal suggests for RPL and seems to have implemented for smartmeshIP.

The solution depends upon 6lowpanND, and to a lesser (and optional) extent,
Pascal's EARO message.  The Joining Node does no actual RPL actions until
after it has been blessed by the JCE.

The provisioning assistant has to know which mesh protocol it is running,
but the activity to send the DAOs is just standard RPL, not specific for the
join process, I think.  The join assistant can do whatever protocol is
appropriate for the environment.   Maybe some other protocol would require
some additional support from the JCE, but no support from the JCE is
required if it isn't also the 6LBR.

    > Michael Richardson schreef op 2014-07-22 00:19:
    >> peter van der Stok <[email-masked]> wrote: > I like the work, we
    >> were thinking in the same direction.  Small > question.  For the TLS
    >> connection from JCE to joining node you need a > routing table from
    >> 6lbr to joining node, but that one does not exist at > that moment, I
    >> think,
    >>
    >> Yes.  That's why the Join Assistant has to emit a DAO about the new
    >> joining node.  Alternatives include: 1) some kind of tunnel --
    >> requires state on the Join Assistant, and on the 6LBR, code which
    >> never gets used again.  2) some kind of proxy -- ditto.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
    >> -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-