Subject: [6tisch] updates to 6tisch-terminology document

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 16:34:53 -0500

In order to support the security parts of the architecture document, I would
like to propose the following text be added to the 6tisch-terminology
document:

   JCE                 the Join Coordination Entity.  This acronym is
                       chosen to parallel the PCE.

   joining node        The newly unboxed constrained node that needs to
                       join a network.

   join protocol       the protocol which secures initial communication
                       between the joining node and the JCE

   join assistant      A constrained node near the joining node that
                       will act as it's first 6LR, and will relay
                       traffic to/from the joining node.

   unique join key     a key shared between a newly joining node, and
                       the JCE.  This key supports smaller installations
                       for which asymmetric methods are considered too
                       large

   production network  A 802.15.4e network whose encryption/
                       authentication keys are determined by some
                       algorithm/protocol.  There may have network-wide
                       group keys, or per-link keys.

   production network key  A L2-key known by all authorized nodes, used
                       for multicast messages

   per-peer L2 key     a key that results from an exchange (such as MLE)
                       that creates a pair-wise L2 key which is known
                       only to the two nodes involved,
                       [I-D.piro-6tisch-security-issues] calls this a
                       LinkKey

   The following terms are used in this document and come from other
   documents:

   DevID               [IEEE.802.1AR] defines the secure DEVice
                       IDentifier as a device identifier that is
                       cryptographically bound to the device and is
                       composed of the Secure Device Identifier Secret
                       and the Secure Device Identifier Credential.

   IDevID              The Initial secure DEVice IDentifier (IDevID) is
                       the Device Identifier which was installed on the
                       device by the manufacturer.

   LDevID              A Locally significant secure DEVice IDentifiers
                       (LDevIDs) is a Secure Device Identifier
                       credential that is unique in the local
                       administrative domain in which the device is
                       used.  The LDevID is usually a new certificate
                       provisioned by some local means, such as the 6top
                       mechanism defined in this document.

   CoAP                The CoAP protocol, defined in [RFC7252] is an
                       HTTP-like resource access protocol.  CoAP runs
                       over UDP.

   DTLS                The datagram version of TLS, defined in
                       [RFC6347], and which can be used to secure CoAP
                       in the same way that TLS secures HTTP.

   ARO                 [RFC6775]defines a number of new Neighbor
                       Discovery options including the Address
                       Registration Option

   DAR/DAC             [RFC6775]defines the Duplicate Address Request
                       and Duplicate Address Confirmation options to
                       turn the multicasted Duplicate Address Detection
                       protocol into a client/server process

   EARO                [I-D.thubert-6lo-rfc6775-update-reqs]extends the
                       ARO option to include some additional fields
                       necessary to distinguish duplicate addresses from
                       nodes that have moved networks when there are
                       mulitple LLNs linked over a backbone.

-- 
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 01:19:40 -0800

Michael,

Pascal (thanks!) created http://tools.ietf.org/wg/6tisch/trac/ticket/32.

Let's discuss these terms at the call tomorrow, and Maria Rita or myself
can add them to the draft after we reach consensus both on the call and ML.

Personally, +1 on those definitions.

Thomas

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM, Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
>
>