Subject: [6tisch] draft charter as of oct 12. Any more comments?

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 11:35:26 +0000

6TiSCH: "IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e".

Background/Introduction:
------------------------

Low-power and Lossy Networks (LLNs) interconnect a possibly large number 
of resource-constrained nodes to form a wireless mesh network. The 
6LoWPAN, ROLL and CoRE IETF Working Groups have defined protocols at 
various layers of the protocol stack, including an IPv6 adaptation 
layer, a routing protocol and a web transfer protocol. This protocol 
stack has been used with IEEE802.15.4 low-power radios.

The Timeslotted Channel Hopping (TSCH) mode was introduced in 2012 as an 
amendment to the Medium Access Control (MAC) portion of the IEEE802.15.4 
standard. TSCH is the emerging standard for industrial automation and 
process control LLNs, with a direct inheritance from WirelessHART and 
ISA100.11a. Defining IPv6 over TSCH, 6TiSCH is a key to enable the 
further adoption of IPv6 in industrial standards and the convergence of 
Operational Technology (OT) with Information Technology (IT).

The nodes in a IEEE802.15.4 TSCH network communicate by following a 
Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) schedule. A timeslot in this 
schedule provides a unit of bandwidth that is allocated for 
communication between neighbor nodes. The allocation can be programmed 
such that the predictable transmission pattern matches the traffic. This 
avoids idle listening, and extends battery lifetime for constrained 
nodes. Channel-hopping improves reliability in the presence of narrow-
band interference and multi-path fading.

These techniques enable a new range of use cases for LLNs, including:
- Control loops in a wireless process control network, in which high
reliability and a fully deterministic behavior are required.
- Service Provider networks transporting data from different independent
clients, and for which an operator needs flow isolation and traffic 
shaping.
- Networks comprising energy harvesting nodes, which require an 
extremely low and predictable average power consumption.

IEEE802.15.4 only defines the link-layer mechanisms. It does not define 
how the network communication schedule is built and matched to the 
traffic requirements of the network.

Description of Working Group:
-----------------------------

The Working Group will focus on enabling IPv6 over the TSCH mode of the
IEEE802.15.4 standard. The extent of the problem space for the WG is 
one or more LLNs, possibly federated through a common backbone link 
via one or more LLN Border Routers (LBRs). The WG will rely on, and if 
necessary extend, existing mechanisms for authenticating LBRs.

Initially, the WG has limited its scope to distributed routing over a 
static schedule using the Routing Protocol for LLNs (RPL) on the resulting
network. This new charter allows for the dynamic allocation of cells and
their exchange between adjacent peers to accommodate the available bandwidth
to the variations of throughput in IP traffic. 

The WG will continue working on securing the join process and making that fit
within the constraints of high latency, low throughput and small frame sizes
that characterize IEEE802.15.4 TSCH.

Additionally, IEEE802.15.4 TSCH being a deterministic MAC, it is envisioned 
that 6TiSCH will benefit from the work of detnet WG to establish the so-called
deterministic tracks. The group will define the objects and methods that needs
to be configured, and provide the associated requirements to detnet.

The WG will interface with other appropriate groups in the IETF 
Internet, Operations and Management, Routing and Security areas.

Work Items:
-----------

The group will:

1. Produce "6TiSCH architecture" to describe the design of 6TiSCH 
networks. This document will highlight the different architectural 
blocks and signaling flows, including the operation of the network in 
the presence of multiple LBRs. The existing document will be augmented
to cover dynamic scheduling and application of the DetNet work.

2. Produce an Information Model containing the management requirements 
of a 6TiSCH node. This includes describing how an entity can manage the 
TSCH schedule on a 6TiSCH node, and query timeslot information from that 
node. MAC-layer interactions to negotiate Time Slots between peers will
be proposed, to be eventually continued at IEEE.

3. Produce an "On-the-fly" (OTF) specification to enable a distributed dynamic
scheduling of time slots, negotiated between adjacent peers, with the capability
for 6TiSCH routers to appropriate chunks of the Time/frequency matrix without
starving, or interfering with, other 6TiSCH nodes.
This particular work will focus on IP traffic since the work on tracks is not
yet advanced enough to specify their requirements for OTF operations.

4. Produce a specification for a secure 6TiSCH network bootstrap, adapted
to the constraints of 6TiSCH nodes and leveraging existing art when possible.

5. Produce requirements to the detnet WG, detailing the 6TiSCH tracks and the
data models to manipulate them from a central controller such as a PCE.

The work will include a best practice configuration for RPL and OF0 
operation over the static schedule. Based on that experience the group 
may produce a requirements draft for OF0 extensions, to be studied in ROLL.

Non-milestone work items:
-------------------------

The Working Group will develop 6TiSCH Test Description documents which will be
updated as the technology evolves, and will be used for running interoperability
events, under ETSI support (i.e., 6TiSCH ETSI Plugtests).
 
Such documents will be helpful for implementers, providing details and 
clarifications, needed for running code, and implementing the 6TiSCH technology.

Each document may address specific 6TiSCH features, in scope of the specific
Plugtest's edition.

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 13:38:37 +0200

Pascal,
Per our discussion on Friday, we need to do a slight rewording of WP 2&3 to
take into account the new terminology introduced in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wang-6tisch-6top-sublayer-02.
For that, we need to agree on a new name for OF. I'll start a 24h polling
period in a separate e-mail, then we'll have the final proposed rewording.
Thomas

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch
>