Subject: [6tisch] for Pat Kinney: how to refer to 802.15.4?

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 16:43:14 +0100

Pat,

[CC'ing the 6TiSCH ML]

I'm contacting you as chairman of Interest Group 6TiSCH at IEEE.

Tero commented (
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg05094.html):

I think IEEE wants that their standards are referenced as "IEEE Std
802.15.4", not IEEE802.15.4. Might be good idea to replace use that,
and if shorter version is needed just add "802.15.4" to terminology
and define it to mean IEEE Std 802.15.4, and then use the shorter
version in rest o fthe document. We would not want people to write
"RFC.6550", as that would just look funny...

In https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-17 we write
IEEE802.15.4, partly because of habit, partly before it makes sure no
newline will be inserted between IEEE and 802.15.4.

Can you either confirm that that's OK from IEEE's point of view, or
instruct us on the right wording?

Thanks,
Thomas

---

From: PWK <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 10:12:58 -0600

Tero’s correct, we always get lectured from the IEEE editors that the standard is referred to as IEEE Std 802.15.4 (note that Std has no period after it).  Tero’s also correct that once you define 802.15.4 as a short version of IEEE Std 802.15.4, you can use it.  BTW: used as a descriptor, you drop the Std, i.e. an IEEE 802.15.4 device.

Pat

On 5, Jan2017, at 9:43, Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]> wrote:

Pat,

[CC'ing the 6TiSCH ML]

Tero commented (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg05094.html <https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg05094.html>):

In https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-17 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-17> we write IEEE802.15.4, partly because of habit, partly before it makes sure no newline will be inserted between IEEE and 802.15.4.

Can you either confirm that that's OK from IEEE's point of view, or instruct us on the right wording?

Thanks,
Thomas
_______________________________________________
6tisch mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 20:51:47 +0100

Pat,
Exactly the info we need. Thanks, we will discuss this at the interim
tomorrow [1] and include in -18.
Thomas

[1] https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/msg05106.html

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 5:12 PM, PWK <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Tero’s correct, we always get lectured from the IEEE editors that the
> standard is referred to as IEEE Std 802.15.4 (note that Std has no period
> after it).  Tero’s also correct that once you define 802.15.4 as a short
> version of IEEE Std 802.15.4, you can use it.  BTW: used as a descriptor,
> you drop the Std, i.e. an IEEE 802.15.4 device.
>
>
>
> Pat
>
> Tero commented (https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/6tisch/current/
> msg05094.html):
>

-- 
_______________________________________

Thomas Watteyne, PhD
Research Scientist & Innovator, Inria
Sr Networking Design Eng, Linear Tech
Founder & co-lead, UC Berkeley OpenWSN
Co-chair, IETF 6TiSCH

www.thomaswatteyne.com
_______________________________________