Subject: [6tisch] I-D Action: draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 10:46:17 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over the TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Minimal Security Framework for 6TiSCH
        Authors         : Malisa Vucinic
                          Jonathan Simon
                          Kris Pister
                          Michael Richardson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-05.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   This document describes the minimal framework required for a new
   device, called "pledge", to securely join a 6TiSCH (IPv6 over the
   TSCH mode of IEEE 802.15.4e) network.  The framework requires that
   the pledge and the JRC (join registrar/coordinator, a central
   entity), share a symmetric key.  How this key is provisioned is out
   of scope of this document.  Through a single CoAP (Constrained
   Application Protocol) request-response exchange secured by OSCORE
   (Object Security for Constrained RESTful Environments), the pledge
   requests admission into the network and the JRC configures it with
   link-layer keying material and a short link-layer address.  This
   specification defines the message format, a new Stateless-Proxy CoAP
   option, and configures the rest of the 6TiSCH communication stack for
   this join process to occur in a secure manner.  Additional security
   mechanisms may be added on top of this minimal framework.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6tisch-minimal-security-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Mališa Vučinić <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 19:53:01 +0100

All,

I have just submitted a new version of the minimal-security draft. We will be asking for WGLC on this version in London.

Changelog:

- Introduced tagging of join traffic. This resolution mitigates the vulnerability where the attacker could inject join requests in the network and intermediate nodes would allocate bandwidth as the network uses distributed scheduling.

- Introduced payload for join requests, carrying the PAN ID. In order to enable a JRC that manages multiple networks, the JRC needs to know which network a given pledge is attempting to join in order to hand out the correct keys.

- Editorial reshuffling, reorganization and clarifications throughout. Encompassed the join request-response exchange defined in the document as the “6TiSCH Join Protocol (6JP)”.

Looking forward to discussing minimal-security at the meeting.

Regards,
Mališa

> On 5 Mar 2018, at 19:46, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 6tisch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tisch