Subject: [6tsch] Winter / summer time

From: Tom Phinney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 11:19:41 -0700

In North America, the US, Canada and parts of
northern Mexico begin summer time on 2013.03.10 and return to
winter time on 2013.11.03.

Continental Europe begins summer time on 2013.03.31 and returns to winter time on
2013.10.27.

The UK begins and ends summer time on the same dates as
continental Europe.

China, Japan, South Korea and Russia do not go on summer time.

Within the US, Arizona and Hawaii do not
go on summer time.

See http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2013.html
for other countries

So, what time UTC does the 6TSCH teleconference start on
2013.03.24? Presumably this will also be the time for the meetings
on 2013.11.01.

And what time UTC does the 6TSCH
teleconference start on 2013.03.31?
Presumably this will also be the time for all meetings through
2013.10.25.

I have no personal preference about start time because I live
almost year round in areas that are at UTC+07:00 when I am living
there. But as a result I always have to convert other people's
usually-unstated time basis, since they often schedule meetings in
terms of their local winter time or summer time without
considering that their time will shift one hour back and forth on
specific days early and late in the year. Then they are surprised
when the rest of the world does not shift synchronously with them.

When scheduling persistent international teleconferences it is
wise to consider when the telecon will occur during Winter time,
and during Summer time, because many people will have conflicting
scheduling requirements during the transition intervals when
different countries have or have not shifted their default time.