Subject: [6tsch] Wireshark dissectors for IEEE802.15.4e TSCH?

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:43:34 -0700

All,

Within this group, we have several implementations ongoing/running of
IEEE802.15.4e, and we will hopefully soon start talking about interop. To
simplify testing and development, it would be fantastic to be able to
analyze packets in Wireshark.

Wireshark's ZEP dissector [1] allows one to very easily inject packet from
a USB connected mote. ZEP indicates the frequency the packet was received
on, so one can imagine having 16 different USB boards, each sniffing a
different frequencies. We could have those boards actually synchronize to
the network, and report the ASN the packet was received on in the timestamp
field of the ZEP header. This would allow us to reconstruct the exact data
exchange, also in time. Finally, using a tun interface can be an
alternative to ZEP, also in Windows [2].

The last piece missing then is a IEEE802.15.4e TSCH dissector. I am not
aware of any in Wireshark, but we might have just the right Wireshark
dissector-guru in this group. Any volunteers for writing such a dissector?

Thomas

[1] http://wiki.wireshark.org/IEEE_802.15.4
[2] https://openwsn.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5373971

---

From: Pieter De Mil <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 13:21:03 +0200

Hi,

I'm working on an IEEE 802.15.4e TSCH dissector for Wireshark.

https://github.com/pdemil/802154e-wireshark

Feel free to contribute.

best regards,
Pieter

On 04/11/13 08:43, Thomas Watteyne wrote:
> IEEE802.15.4e, and we will hopefully soon start talking about interop. 
> To simplify testing and development, it would be fantastic to be able 
> to analyze packets in Wireshark.
>
> Wireshark's ZEP dissector [1] allows one to very easily inject packet 
> from a USB connected mote. ZEP indicates the frequency the packet was 
> received on, so one can imagine having 16 different USB boards, each 
> sniffing a different frequencies. We could have those boards actually 
> synchronize to the network, and report the ASN the packet was received 
> on in the timestamp field of the ZEP header. This would allow us to 
> reconstruct the exact data exchange, also in time. Finally, using a 
> tun interface can be an alternative to ZEP, also in Windows [2].
>
> The last piece missing then is a IEEE802.15.4e TSCH dissector. I am 
> not aware of any in Wireshark, but we might have just the right 
> Wireshark dissector-guru in this group. Any volunteers for writing 
> such a dissector?
>
> Thomas
>
> [2] 
> https://openwsn.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5373971

---

From: Thomas Watteyne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:23:23 -0700

Pieter,

This is great. We quickly discussed this on the 6TSCH call today, I believe
these dissectors will be extremely useful for any future interop event.

Incidentally, I'm meeting with Colin next week in San Jose to talk
Wireshark. After that meeting, I will be very happy to contribute and help
testing your dissector.

Thomas

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Pieter De Mil <[email-masked]> wrote:

> https://github.com/pdemil/**802154e-wireshark<https://github.com/pdemil/802154e-wireshark>
>
> Feel free to contribute.
>
> best regards,
> Pieter
>
>
>
>> synchronize to the network, and report the ASN the packet was received on
>> in the timestamp field of the ZEP header. This would allow us to
>> reconstruct the exact data exchange, also in time. Finally, using a tun
>> interface can be an alternative to ZEP, also in Windows [2].
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.wireshark.org/**IEEE_802.15.4<http://wiki.wireshark.org/IEEE_802.15.4>
>> [2] https://openwsn.atlassian.net/**wiki/pages/viewpage.action?**
>> pageId=5373971<https://openwsn.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=5373971>
>>
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> 6tsch mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/6tsch<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6tsch>
>