Subject: [70ATTENDEES] Marriott internet outage

From: Paul Aitken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 05:12:17 +0000

There seemed to be a slight outage in the Marriott's internet at 9pm: 
VPN died, and once the tunnel was down there was no net access at all. I 
couldn't DHCP an IP address.

Guest-Tek said there was a "small issue" with the ISP, and it's all 
working fine again now

- at least for a given value of "fine" which didn't anticipate 100's of 
engineers being online at the same time. The 3rd and 4th hops are >500ms 
and ~750ms away:

  1  198.18.0.1  0.561 ms  0.958 ms  1.010 ms
  2  207.236.117.225  0.992 ms  0.946 ms  23.099 ms
  3  172.16.0.1  627.519 ms  579.654 ms  579.663 ms
  4  206.108.101.65  579.707 ms  646.621 ms  745.595 ms

-- 
Paul Aitken
Cisco Systems Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland.

_______________________________________________
70ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/70attendees

---

From: Neil Schwartzman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 06:50:07 -0800

> Guest-Tek said there was a "small issue" with the ISP, and it's all

Shrug.

The technician I called and I attributed it to a wiring problem during my
outage at 4 p.m. Or so; I jiggled the ethernet and it worked. The young lady
at the front desk here informed me that they sometimes have problems with
'guest-provided cabling' and encouraged me to use the one provided by the
hotel (in the desk drawer).

I ignored the advice and the connectivity has been fine for  the past 12
hours.
> engineers being online at the same time.

I have to wonder, how many here are actual Engineers? I'm not, but my old
man wore an Iron ring for Canadair for most of his career.

For those who are not familiar with the iron ring ceremony, google it.

-- 
Neil Schwartzman
Manager, Compliance & ISP Relations
Sender Score Certified
Return Path Inc.

Have you checked out the new Sender Score Certified info center?
http://www.senderscorecertified.com/info_center.html