Subject: Re: [70ATTENDEES] Construction noise

From: "Lindberg, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:14:46 -0500

Construction should not start that early!  I will be meeting with the hotel within 90 minutes and report back with more details following our meeting.
--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

----- Original Message -----
From: M Graff <[email-masked]>
To: David Frascone <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue Dec 04 15:08:00 2007
Subject: Re: [70ATTENDEES] Construction noise

The noise is so loud in my room that to use it for more than a pit  
stop is impossible.  I have not bothered to ask the front desk for  
more than to only start the noise after 8am. The first day there was  
hammering at 7:15 and today it sounded like lots if moving things  
around and dropping things.

--Michael

On Dec 3, 2007, at 15:01, "David Frascone" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> Can we do anyrthing about the noise during the day?  I usually sneak  
> to my room a couple of times a day to catch up with work, and the  
> noise is unbearable.
>
> I called the front desk, but was only told that the hotel is full,  
> and there's nothing they can do.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> 70ATTENDEES mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/70attendees

_______________________________________________
70ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/70attendees
_______________________________________________
70ATTENDEES mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/70attendees

---

From: "David Frascone" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:07:40 -0500

I usually use my room between meetings to finish up on slides, read e-mail,
and unwind.  Plus, my wife is flying in later this week for a "vacation"

I was told by the front desk, in a not-very-polite manner, that the hotel
was full, I could not move, and there was nothing they could do about the
noise.

-Dave

On Dec 4, 2007 4:45 PM, John C Klensin <[email-masked]> wrote:

>
>
> --On Tuesday, 04 December, 2007 15:14 -0500 "Lindberg, Jon"
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > Construction should not start that early!  I will be meeting
> > with the hotel within 90 minutes and report back with more
> > details following our meeting.
>
> In my first conversation with them on the subject yesterday, I
> was informed that the construction crew worked 8 to 4 or 8 to 5,
> that I could expect the noise during that interval all week, and
> that I had better get used to it because there was no
> alternative.   The person I spoke with also told me that it was
> ok because we were all in the meeting area all day anyway and
> there was no construction there.   Fortunately for me, a short
> time later the folks with the rotary hammer apparently managed
> to break a pipe over the room, resulting in the room becoming
> uninhabitable, and they had a cancellation, so they moved me.
> But that clearly isn't a general solution.
>
> People pay for these rooms for 24 hours,  not when the hotel
> thinks they should be in them.   If the hotel wants to make them
> uninhabitable for 8 or 9 hours of the day, the rates should go
> down by at least 1/3, probably more.
>
>     john
>
>

---

From: "Lindberg, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 19:58:16 -0500

Marcia and I just completed a 90 minute review with the Westin regarding
the issue of Construction Noise.  An expanded plan of action and options
has just been agreed by the Westin.  Here are some highlights of the
plan:

*There will be absolutely NO heavy construction noise (hammering) before
9 a.m. or after 5 p.m.

*If you hear noise between the hours of 5 p.m. and 9 a.m., then please
call the front desk.  The Manager on Duty (MOD) is now empowered to talk
directly with the construction workers on site to quiet the noise.

*If you are in the Tower, you should not hear construction noise, as
there is only construction in the main building from floors 5 up to the
top floor 9.

*If you are in the 'Main' building and you have been bothered or are
bothered by noise during the day time construction work hours, then
please call the front desk and ask to be placed on a high priority wait
list for relocation to a room in the tower.  This list will be managed
on a first come/first served basis.  If/when a room does become
available, the hotel will send a bellcap to your room to help you move
your belongings to the new room.

*If you are in the 'Main' building, and you are bothered by the noise
during the day and cannot wait to be relocated to the tower, then the
Westin will make arrangements for you to be moved to the either the
Marriott or Renaissance Hotels, provide you with complimentary bellcap
service and a complimentary taxi to move your belongings over.  There
already exists a complimentary return shuttle between the Westin and
these hotels.

*If you are dissatisfied with the response that you receive, then please
contact both [email-masked] and myself at
[email-masked] and we will work quickly and until resolution
with the hotels senior management.

Best Regards,
Jon Lindberg

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:45:11 -0500

john

---

From: M Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:11:50 -0800

The hammering started very quietly at 7:10 this morning and got quite  
loud at times after 8:05. It isn't the volume really but the rythm  
that tends to wake one up.  I did not call the front desk as the other  
person in the room was sound asleep and after a phone call would not be.

--Michael