Subject: Re: [72attendees] Some thanks (was: 72nd - T-shirt Pick Up)

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:02:05 +0100

On 8/1/08 at 1:16 AM -0700, Randall Gellens wrote:

>At 6:09 PM +0100 7/31/08, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>>While I was not carried about on a litter with rose petals thrown 
>>in my path while faeries made sure that I was able to control any 
>>network for 80 kms around, and while the temperature was not 
>>controlled to my personal specification 24 hours a day
>>
>>The only real sour note has been the discovery that so people 
>>normally live in a world completely arranged for their convenience. 
>>I'm envious.
>
>Perhaps we're not on the same list.  I haven't seen any complaints 
>about anything even 10% as ridiculous or petty.  I've seen 
>reasonable requests for consideration of dietary needs, for example, 
>and complaints about networks that don't work, and such.

Yeah, we do seem to have a S/N problem here, and lousy noise filters. 
There were some real (reasonable) complaints about this meeting which 
instantly get swallowed up in a sea of "howls of horror and disgust". 
Then we get a series of "everything was wonderful" messages, which 
some folks will read as, "all of the complainers were loons". And 
then, of course, we had silence at the IAOC plenary.

The IAOC has to (unfortunately) filter through both sets of silliness 
and find the actual problems that occurred during the meeting (and 
there were problems; more than some meetings, less than others). 
Hopefully some of the more reasonable folks can send calm 
constructive messages to the IAOC expressing those, avoiding comments 
about the crimes against humanity they may or may not have committed.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102
_______________________________________________
72attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/72attendees

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:45:33 +0100

Exactly. Just as an example of my bigger issue: Not being able to get
reasonable hot water in the bathroom for a week, and not having got a
reasonable solution from the hotel, and having got a cold because that (as I
really want to shower every morning and every night even with cold water if
no other way), is a very valid complain.

I really think it is stupid to ignore this kind of issue and even more silly
to keep saying "everything was wonderful". And I decided to send that to the
list unless I really saw there was no other way to sort out directly with
the hotel in the expectation that someone from the organization will push
them, indeed I got private messages of other folks with the same problem.

And please, note that despite some other folks perceptions, and don't use
those messages as complains, moreover as a mean to show what I believe is
not good enough, so we can correct it, either this time or next one.

I never said the meeting was not productive, but the number of cons,
compared with previous events, at least for me, was really *high*.

Regards,
Jordi

> From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:02:05 +0100
> To: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [72attendees] Some thanks (was:  72nd - T-shirt Pick Up)
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Avshalom Houri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:16:09 +0300

Seem that many of the more justified issues are stemming from the site 
remoteness as dietary restriction issues and people that wanted other 
hotels and had to commute one hour a day twice.

Dietary issues could have been solved in remote site with more awareness 
not sure if the issue of other hotels could have been solved.

Maybe the registration of the IETF should be enhanced to provide more 
feedback on dietary needs so the organizers can estimate the needs. The 
registration site can also be enhanced so people can indicate the meetings 
that the want to attend and their priority for attending the meeting. This 
can help to avoid conflicts in scheduling meeting time. 

--Avshalom

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]> 
Sent by: [email-masked]
01/08/2008 12:48
Please respond to
[email-masked]

To
"[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
Re: [72attendees] Some thanks (was:  72nd - T-shirt Pick Up)

Exactly. Just as an example of my bigger issue: Not being able to get
reasonable hot water in the bathroom for a week, and not having got a
reasonable solution from the hotel, and having got a cold because that (as 
I
really want to shower every morning and every night even with cold water 
if
no other way), is a very valid complain.

I really think it is stupid to ignore this kind of issue and even more 
silly
to keep saying "everything was wonderful". And I decided to send that to 
the
list unless I really saw there was no other way to sort out directly with
the hotel in the expectation that someone from the organization will push
them, indeed I got private messages of other folks with the same problem.

Regards,
Jordi

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or 
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the 
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware 
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this 
information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: Dale Worley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:55:55 -0400

Despite a few problems, I found the meeting and the venue quite
pleasant.  I particularly enjoyed being able to sit outside, in the
shade and the breeze, and look out over the flowers and forests and golf
course, and fantasize that I was a villain in a James Bond movie,
relaxing at a tropical resort.  In addition, the venue provided a
singular genre of humor:  Pubs in Dublin charge more for Budweiser than
Guinness!

Dale