Subject: [73attendees] More on Mexico kidnappings

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:08:40 -0600

Somebody who reads this list sent me the following link after our  
recent discussion on hosting an IETF in Mexico City:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1867138,00.html?xid=rss-world

An excerpt:

There are two kinds of kidnappings in Mexico: those meant for ransom  
and those meant as a warning. This month's abduction of Felix Batista  
in the northern state of Coahuila was most likely the latter — and  
it's one of the more chilling messages that Mexico's ubiquitous,  
police-linked kidnapping industryhas ever sent.

The following link may also be illustrative:

http://m3report.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/

An excerpt:

Various European governments are now warning their citizens that when  
visiting Mexico they must protect themselves as much from the police  
as from the criminals because there are links between the police  
officers and criminal groups.

_______________________________________________
73attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/73attendees