Subject: [74attendees] From Airport to Hilton

From: Carolin Latze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:42:03 +0100

Hi everybody,

does anybody know what a Taxi will charge for the transfer from the
airport to the Hilton? I will arrive at 8 pm and prefer Taxis when I am
in a new town :)

Carolin

-- 
Carolin Latze
PhD Student				ICT Engineer

Department of Computer Science		Swisscom Strategy and Innovation
Boulevard de Pérolles 90		Ostermundigenstrasse 93
CH-1700 Fribourg      			CH-3006 Bern
	
phone: +41 26 300 83 30			+41 79 72 965 27
homepage: http://diuf.unifr.ch/people/latzec

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:59:22 -0400

> airport to the Hilton? I will arrive at 8 pm and prefer Taxis when I  

SFO or OAK or SJC ?

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/resources/airports/

Average cab fare to/from downtown SF is $37-$44. A $2.00 exit  
surcharge is included in all San Francisco taxicab meter fares for  
rides originating from San Francisco International Airport.

OAK : Average cab fare from downtown San Francisco is $50

SJC : Average cab fare from downtown San Francisco: $90.

I had earlier suggested that the IETF provide a Taxi sharing web  
resource on-line, but I
have frequently been able to share taxis even without one.

Regards
Marshall

> _______________________________________________
> 74attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

---

From: Carolin Latze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:06:44 +0100

>> airport to the Hilton? I will arrive at 8 pm and prefer Taxis when I am

oops... good question. It says "SAN FRANCISCO CA INTL" whatever that
means... I will try to find that out. :)

Thanks!
Carolin

-- 
Carolin Latze
PhD Student				ICT Engineer

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:08:11 -0400

> airport to the Hilton? I will arrive at 8 pm and prefer Taxis when I  

http://www.google.com/search?q=cost+of+taxi+from+sfo+to+downtown

$43.26.

Joe

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:10:33 -0400

> means... I will try to find that out. :)

That would be SFO

> Carolin

-derek

-- 
Derek Atkins
Principal Software Engineer

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

+1 617 623 3745 | [email-masked]

PGP Corporation -- Rest Secured.(TM)

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private,
confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any
attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and
permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:11:41 -0400

> means... I will try to find that out. :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=iata+code+san+francisco+ca+international

SFO

My point with all this insane human-google-proxy shenanigans is that  
if there's ever a city where google knows the answer to your travel  
question, San Francisco is it, and asking google when what you want is  
fact rather than opinion is highly likely to be more efficient and  
accurate than asking this list.

Not complaining about anything, just trying to help :-)

Joe

---

From: "GOLDMAN, STUART O \(STUART\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:14:44 -0500

You could also consider a shared ride van service such as Super Shuttle for $17 from SFO to the hotel.

Stuart Goldman
Alcatel-Lucent 
Member of the Alcatel-Lucent Technical Academy
[email-masked]
+1 602 493 8438
+1 480 414 1260 mobile
 please save a tree by not printing this e-mail.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Marshall Eubanks
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 6:59 AM
To: Carolin Latze
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [74attendees] From Airport to Hilton

SFO or OAK or SJC ?

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:21:37 -0400

SFO

---

From: "David B Harrington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:37:18 -0400

> have frequently been able to share taxis even without one.

Wear an IETF T-shirt to the airport, or approach people wearing one,
and increase your chances of ride-sharing.

dbh

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:44:23 -0400

> You could also consider a shared ride van service such as Super Shuttle for $17 from SFO to the hotel.

and BART will be ~$5

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:45:22 -0400

>> You could also consider a shared ride van service such as Super Shuttle for $17 from SFO to the hotel.

$5.35 according to www.bart.gov

-derek

PGP Corporation
4 Farragut Ave
Somerville, MA  02144

PGP Fingerprint:
0FEE 5EA1 FF22 E0C9 4FFE
631A 9232 FF93 1C80 1DB7

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:48:14 +0000

> You could also consider a shared ride van service such as Super Shuttle for $17 from SFO to the hotel.
But pick your shuttle.

The last one I used from SFO into town gave reason to doubt whether it 
had a road-worthyness certificate, insurance, fuel to get there, a 
driver that knew the way.....

On the way back the vehicle and driver was OK except for the en-route 
shouting match between the dispatcher and the driver over how long the 
driver should wait for a pickup, and whether he should go back into town 
for more pax when already part way to the airport. Fortunately this was 
resolved by the driver going into a sulk where I *think* that he was 
concentrating on the road.

In both cases the price was very good, but the cost could have been too 
high.

Stewart

---

From: Carolin Latze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:50:29 +0100

Thanks a lot for all those answers :) I already found somebody to share
the taxi. Even if BART is much cheaper, I prefer the taxi for personal
reasons. And also thanks for the hint about Google... I must admit, I
didn't think about SFs relation to Google :)

Cheers
Carolin

-- 
Carolin Latze
PhD Student				ICT Engineer

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:59:51 -0400

If you are planning on coming from Oakland (Airport or otherwise) on  
the weekend I would recommend that
you pay attention to this page :

http://baybridgeinfo.org/closures-detours

If the Bay Bridge is closed you do NOT want to take a cab / car /  
shuttle from OAK.

When this caught me I was renting a car in OAK. I canceled the car,  
took the BART to the City, and just made
the in-town rental office (they close much earlier than the Airport  
offices) of a different
rental company (the only one I could find that was still open). It  
was, as they say, a near run thing.
But I saved myself a 2 hour detour.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:19:58 -0400

Marshall said...
> If the Bay Bridge is closed you do NOT want to take a cab / car / shuttle from OAK.
...
> But I saved myself a 2 hour detour.

Two hours?  Hm; going from OAK to downtown SF by way of the San Mateo
Bridge can't possibly be more than a 30-minute detour, can it?

Barry

---

From: Jaap Akkerhuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:29:10 +0100

> and increase your chances of ride-sharing.

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair .... You're gonna meet some  
gentle people there

	jaap

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:57:41 -0400

> Bridge can't possibly be more than a 30-minute detour, can it?

The times I have done this it has taken substantially longer than that.
I don't do this regularly, so maybe I am remembering traffic, but it is
not a route I would want to take.

Marshall

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:59:25 -0700

> $5.35 according to www.bart.gov

It is faster and cheaper to get to downtown SF from the
Oakland airport, than it is from SFO.

   $3.55 / 23 min   vs.  $5.35 / 30 min

> -derek

Andy

---

From: Carolin Latze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:03:11 +0100

>   $3.55 / 23 min   vs.  $5.35 / 30 min
hmm... you think I should try to convince the pilot to fly to Oakland? :-)))

Carolin

-- 
Carolin Latze
PhD Student				ICT Engineer

---

From: Amy Vezza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:11:57 -0400

Andy -

Not really.  You first have to AirBART ($3.00) to the BART station  
(bus from airport to BART station), and then your $3.55 trip in via  
BART.  According to the information booth at the Oakland Airport (I  
specifically asked when I was there last month).  For SFO the BART  
station is right at the airport (so I'm told).

I can't speak to the speed, as I haven't actually done it.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:19:37 -0400

> hmm... you think I should try to convince the pilot to fly to  

OAK <-> SFO used to be the shortest wide-body scheduled flight in the  
US. The plane came from / went to NYC IIRC,
and the purpose was so that the airline could sell tickets to either  
airport. I vaguely remember a TV piece about this where a local TV  
reporter bought a ticket and made the flight, for something like $ 200.

Now, I believe that the largest regular aircraft flying between  
Oakland, CA and San Francisco, CA is an Alaska Airlines 737, which I  
imagine is doing something similar, but as far as I can tell they  
won't book that leg as a stand alone...

US Airways will sell you a ticket, but it involves a change in San  
Diego. Enjoy.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:49:00 -0700

> and BART will be ~$5

Bonus: if you find some IETFers in the airport who want to go by BART,  
you can team up and avoid the strange-new-city jitters.   Personally I  
find BART a lot more pleasant as a way to get downtown than a taxi,  
but of course your mileage may vary.

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:04:04 -0700

At 10:49 AM -0700 3/11/09, Ted Lemon wrote:
>Bonus: if you find some IETFers in the airport who want to go by BART, you can team up and avoid the strange-new-city jitters.   Personally I find BART a lot more pleasant as a way to get downtown than a taxi, but of course your mileage may vary.

For those of you who haven't been to San Francisco before: BART is underground for part of the system, but above ground for most of it (they re-used old train easements). You get a nice view in many places, particularly the first part coming from either SFO or the Oakland airport.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:15:06 -0400

Ted says...
> Bonus: if you find some IETFers in the airport who want to go by BART, you
> can team up and avoid the strange-new-city jitters.   Personally I find BART
> a lot more pleasant as a way to get downtown than a taxi, but of course your
> mileage may vary.

My mileage is exactly the same.  It's easy to find the BART station at
the airport, and it's easy to use the ticket machines.  Then you just
get in the train, ride, get off at Powell and Market.  The Hilton is
two blocks up Powell to O'Farrell, and two blocks over on O'Farrell.
There really is nothing to be jittery about.  [snaps fingers]

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:26:41 +1200 (ANAT)

And you can take the BART with your suitcase! (you may have to carry it up some stairs tho). 

I often avoid public transports when I have a suitcase, but here it is ok. 

At SFO you have a free shuttle service, that will bring you to the bart. Make sure you have some loose change to buy the BART ticket. The machines do not like you enter a note which is more than a few dollars above the ticket price. 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, 12 March, 2009 6:15:06 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected 
Subject: Re: [74attendees] From Airport to Hilton 

Ted says...

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:39:30 -0700

On Mar 11, 2009, at 11:15 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:
> The Hilton is

We all have different foibles.   There's nothing wrong with a little  
trepidation when visiting a strange city.   But yeah, for some reason  
I find trains more reassuring than taxis... :')

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:39:30 -0700

>but of course your mileage may vary.

I have used BART many times from/to SFO to my house and it
works well. The ride is "entertaining" sometimes... :-)

The only problem with BART is that there is no dedicated
space for luggage. You basically have to "park" your bag
next to you in the middle of the aisle.

The nice thing about BART though is that the train starts
at SFO, so there is a high chance of getting a seat.

---

From: Ignacio Goyret <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:43:47 -0700

At 06:26 AM 3/12/2009 +1200, Franck Martin wrote:

>Make sure you have some loose change to buy the BART ticket. The machines do not like you enter a note which is more than a few dollars above the ticket price.

This is not the case. A ticket is for the amount of money you buy,
not for a particular ride. You can use the same ticket (assuming
it still has money left) for many rides.

You can put any amount of money in the machines, and the machines
will take any coins or bills up to at least $20.

I often buy $20 tickets so I can ride for a while without having
to buy another ticket.

-Ignacio

---

From: Eric Brunner-Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:53:20 -0400

Not to mention other, non-routing benefits of shared fates between 
cooperating flows sharing some midpoint, or even endpoint identifiers. I 
managed to ride-share from the airport to the hotel at the last NANOG.

Of course, if I wear my any of my ICANN shirts, other outcomes may apply.

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:02:55 +1100

> airport to the Hilton? I will arrive at 8 pm and prefer Taxis when I am

	A shuttle will be much cheaper then a taxi and will drop you at
	the door at the cost of a little more travel time.
 
> -- =
> Boulevard de P=E9rolles 90		Ostermundigenstrasse 93
> 	=
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:22:56 +1200 (ANAT)

I arrive Sunday 5:20pm from LAX , if anyone interested for a shared ride.

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:46:05 -0700

> And you can take the BART with your suitcase! (you may have to carry

nope, escalator all the way

> At SFO you have a free shuttle service, that will bring you to the
> bart. Make sure you have some loose change to buy the BART ticket. The
> machines do not like you enter a note which is more than a few dollars
> above the ticket price.

it takes credit cards, even japanese ones

randy

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:01:20 +1200 (ANAT)

yes but my bank charges me USD5 for every foreign transaction, so I don't use it to buy bart tickets unless I'm deseperate ;) 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randy Bush" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Franck Martin" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Thursday, 12 March, 2009 3:46:05 PM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected 
Subject: Re: [74attendees] From Airport to Hilton 

randy

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:14:51 -0400

--On Wednesday, March 11, 2009 02:15:06 PM -0400 Barry Leiba 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>> find BART a lot more pleasant as a way to get downtown than a taxi, but
>> of course your mileage may vary.
>

Nope.  There are places and situations where mass transit is sketchy or 
inconvenient to use or uncomfortable to use, but this is definitely not one 
of them.  As for ticket machines... I'm pretty sure the BART ticket already 
in my wallet has enough left on it for the round trip.  :-)

-- Jeff

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:30:05 -0400

Super Shuttle is a good inexpensive choice.  After getting your baggage, go up the elevators or escalators to the upper street level (not the baggage street level). 

Look for their blue vans and signs to supper shuttle stop.  You check in with their attendant who puts your ride together.

You can reserve it in advance or walk up without a reservation.  

You may wait up to 20 minutes before they depart because they have a rule: if they don't have a minimum of 4 passengers they will wait 20 minutes before leaving.

Reservations may be made online at www.supershuttle.com or call +1 (415) 558-8500

I took them yesterday (15 March) from SFO and it was a good experience -- except we did wait the 20 minutes as there were only 3 of us but the fare was much less than a taxi to where I was going.

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Behalf Of GOLDMAN, STUART O (STUART)
> Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:15 AM
> To: Carolin Latze
> Cc: [email-masked]

---

From: Coko Tracy Musaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:21:56 +0200

Yep Thomas , Super shuttle may Be a good choice but lil expensive, I
used it last october from LAX aeroport to downtown, I guess this time
I'm gonna use it again.

Carolin, don't worry about it, just spend some 15 to 20 min , The
Super Shuttle ( Blues cars) will drive to the Hotel, U may call for
your reservation Before You come to SFO.

See You then in SFO.

Coko Tracy
Kigali-Rwanda

2009/3/17, Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>:
> Super Shuttle is a good inexpensive choice.  After getting your baggage, go
> up the elevators or escalators to the upper street level (not the baggage
> street level).
>
> Look for their blue vans and signs to supper shuttle stop.  You check in
> with their attendant who puts your ride together.
>
> You may wait up to 20 minutes before they depart because they have a rule:
> if they don't have a minimum of 4 passengers they will wait 20 minutes
> before leaving.
>
> I took them yesterday (15 March) from SFO and it was a good experience --
> except we did wait the 20 minutes as there were only 3 of us but the fare
> was much less than a taxi to where I was going.
>
>
>> On Behalf Of Marshall Eubanks

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:04:44 -0400

> Reservations may be made online at www.supershuttle.com or call +1

Looking at that web site, I get a price of $17.  Is that correct?

Dale

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:12:13 -0700

Another possibility is to try to find other IETF'ers on the airplane and 
share a cab. I try to wear an IETF T-shirt and hope
that people I don't recognize might see the T-shirt and say hello. I 
usually manage to find 3 or 4 other IETFers to share a cab.

It's also a good exercise in getting started on networking. :-)

Radia

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:13:19 -0400

That's what I see also from SFO airport to the Hilton (Zip code 94102).
A tip to the driver is additional.  

> From: Dale Worley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 8:05 AM
> To: Thomas Walsh
> Cc: [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:07:18 -0700

> Looking at that web site, I get a price of $17.  Is that correct?

Matches what I got and seems in line with their other fares.

Tony