Subject: [74attendees] late registration for Visa

From: Titus Oluwasesan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:39:39 -0700 (PDT)

It was late before I got the Invitation letter to attend IETF event. So I cannot be given Visa

Titus O. Bodunde +2348030676270 +2347092069588

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 18:50:34 -0400

> Titus O. Bodunde +2348030676270 +2347092069588

Our records indicate the Letter of Invitation was requested on 29  
January.  LOI's are provided immediately as a pdf file.
Perhaps there was not enough time to process the application after 29  
January.

Ray
IAD

> _______________________________________________
> 74attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:02:20 -0400

> So I cannot be given Visa

This is incredibly helpful, particularly because it is specific.
Thank you for sharing that information.

Are there measures that the IETF can undertake to make
the IETF "Invitation Letter" available sooner to people
who want to attend IETF meetings ?

Getting those out sooner enables people to file visa applications
sooner, for whichever host country, which in turn should increase
the visa issuance rate.

Yours,

Ran

---

From: "Coko Tracy Mirindi Musaza" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 02:03:14 +0200 (Egypt Standard Time)

Dear All,

What can we mean with  " late before I got the Invitation letter to attend
IETF event "

We have to know that sometime We have to improve our dynamic personal effort
 Did IETF sent letter of invitation to our friend in last 2 weeks ,  NOOP!!
I thing they sent it before a mounth.
in my case I've been thinking I will not coming. 

I left Kinshasa ( the DRC), to Rwanda, spending time to looking for new
passport in the DRC and a taking a new Rwandan Visa, at the end I left
Rwanda to Burundi, searching for how to renew my last passport at  DRC
embassy, then coming back to Rwanda again for getting a US Visa with my DRC
passport. that was a history of Chiken and Eggs my friends.

I MOVED 3 COUNTRIES to seach a solution to attend IETF74, at the end I got
my US visa 2 days before I fly to San Francisco.
The staff of organization of IETF was correct with evrybody, exept your case
but I'm not sure with it, You may have some personal responsability for the
respect of timing to get your US visa.
for the Next try too to use your personal Effort and find solution where you
may find it.

Anyway, You should Be here with Us, we will really miss you , we hope to
meet you if others opportunities will be given to us.

Thank you and let grows the Internet community.

Kindly yours.

Coko Tracy

-------Original Message-------
 
From: RJ Atkinson
Date: 3/20/2009 9:03:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [74attendees] late registration for Visa

 

Yours,
 
Ran

---

From: "Dale Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 19:15:10 -0400

As people have discussed, visa problems are almost inevitable.  It seems
to me that we could do some things that would be *useful* for people,
namely recording and summarizing information about how long it takes to
get visas from country A if one lives in country B.  This would help
people planning their IETF registration, obtaining the letter of
invitation, and applying for a visa.  Of course, visa processes aren't
reliable and consistent across the years, but we are dealing with
bureaucracies, and their operations aren't likely to change rapidly.

So it seems to me that it would be useful to create a wiki or some
similar database within which people could summarize their experiences
of obtaining visas.

Dale