Subject: [74attendees] Public transportation options for airport trips

From: Michael Graff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:19:45 -0700

BART is really easy to use to get to the airport. It might even be  
faster than taking a taxi. I believe it was about a 35 minute ride  
today at 9:45 or so with a short 10 minute walk to get to the station.  
It stops right at the international terminal and my terminal 3 was one  
air-tram stop down.

Just an option.  :)

--Michael

---

From: Ed Jankiewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:31:38 -0700

how is BART wrt hauling a large piece of luggage on and off?  I am 
disposed towards using public transit (had a MUNI pass for the week and 
enjoyed many scenic cable car rides to where I wanted to go, plus a few 
not-so-scenic buses...) but when I have a big bag, laptop backpack and a 
guitar too it's hard to sling on and off a train.

On 3/27/2009 11:19 AM, Michael Graff wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 74attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

-- 
Ed Jankiewicz - SRI International
Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research 
Supporting DISA Standards Engineering Branch
732-389-1003 or  [email-masked]

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:37:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Michael Graff wrote:

> BART is really easy to use to get to the airport. It might even be faster 
> than taking a taxi. I believe it was about a 35 minute ride today at 9:45 or 
> so with a short 10 minute walk to get to the station. It stops right at the 
> international terminal and my terminal 3 was one air-tram stop down.

And for those with limited luggage, consider walking to terminal 
three.  It's probably faster than waiting for the AirTrain.  Another 
SFO hint: there are multi-airline carry-on-only check-in kiosks in the 
international terminal near BART that tend to be underutilized.

---

From: Richard Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:46:03 -0700

BART works really well.  I used it every day, coming in from the  
Millbrae location, and saw many people with large bags heading toward  
the airport.

/raj

On Mar 27, 2009, at 11:31 AM, Ed Jankiewicz wrote:

> disposed towards using public transit (had a MUNI pass for the week  
> and enjoyed many scenic cable car rides to where I wanted to go,  
> plus a few not-so-scenic buses...) but when I have a big bag, laptop  
> backpack and a guitar too it's hard to sling on and off a train.
>
>> today at 9:45 or so with a short 10 minute walk to get to the  
>> station. It stops right at the international terminal and my  
>> terminal 3 was one air-tram stop down.
>>
>> Just an option.  :)
>>
>> --Michael
>>
> Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research Supporting DISA  
> Standards Engineering Branch

---

From: Bill Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:57:26 -0400

The only problem with BART for Saturday morning is that it starts at
6:34 (Powell Street Station), and I have to be at the airport at 6:15. 
Sunday will probably be worse.  If you need to go early, check first
using the trip planner at transit.511.org.

  Bill

Richard Johnson wrote:
>> and enjoyed many scenic cable car rides to where I wanted to go, plus
>> a few not-so-scenic buses...) but when I have a big bag, laptop
>> Fort Monmouth Branch Office - IPv6 Research Supporting DISA Standards
>> Engineering Branch

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email: [email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http: //users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:32:47 -0700

> using the trip planner at transit.511.org.

transit.511.org tells me that there is a BART train at 5:30am from
Powell.  Not true?

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:33:15 -0700

> using the trip planner at transit.511.org.

Oops sorry, that's a bus.

---

From: Bill Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:43:30 -0400

Not on Saturday.  See
http://www.bart.gov/schedules/bylineresults.aspx?route=1&date=3%2F28%2F2009
for the schedule for 3/28/2009.

--

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:43:49 -0700

> backpack and a guitar too it's hard to sling on and off a train.

The train entry is flat.   Getting it *to* the train would be the hard  
part.   Accessibility is great at the airport, but you might have to  
carry your stuff down stairs to get into the main BART station.    
There may be a down escalator, but I don't know where.   There is  
*probably* an elevator.   Once you get into the station it's no  
problem - there *is* a down escalator going from the ticketing level  
to the train level.

---

From: Cheryl Madson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:16:04 -0700

There are both escalators and elevators at Powell St.
Station.

Station map shows escalators at end of Powell St.
> http://www.bart.gov/stations/powl/map.aspx

There is also an entrance from the adjacent shopping
center, and you can likely take escalators in there
as well.

Elevator info:
> http://www.bart.gov/stations/powl/accessible.aspx

[Speaking of elevators: the Civic Center street elevator
is out of service (one stop away from Powell).]

thx - C

On 3/27/2009 1:43 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
> carry your stuff down stairs to get into the main BART station.   There 
> may be a down escalator, but I don't know where.   There is *probably* 
> an elevator.   Once you get into the station it's no problem - there 
> *is* a down escalator going from the ticketing level to the train level.
> 

-- 
Cheryl Madson
STG - IOS Crypto Infrastructure
Cisco Systems, Inc.
[email-masked]

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:18:09 -0700

BART is easy, and pretty nice, but BART (and those shuttles, which I 
hate even more than taxis) take longer than a cab, if there isn't 
much traffic.  Realistically, for Terminal 1, BART takes generally 50 
minutes door-to-door.

BART itself between Powell St. station and SFO is 28 minutes, but 
then to get to Terminal 1 it's either a 15-minute walk or the 
airtrain, which is several stops.  When you add together the BART 
ride itself, waiting for BART and waiting for airtrain, plus walking 
to the BART station, door-to-gate it takes a while.

I flew home Tuesday night and returned here Wednesday night, and took 
BART both ways.  If I'm not time-pressed, it's my preference.

Luggage isn't too bad on BART unless it's crowded, in which case it's 
a hassle for you and your fellow passengers.

-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly selected tag: ---------------
Procedures!  Of course, that's what you'd use with a *sophisticated*
machine like this.  Procedures.    --'Ceaser Smith' in _Hot_Millions_