Subject: [74attendees] espresso

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:53:49 -0700

It was suggested by someone smarter than me that I shouldn't share information
about nearby killer-awesome espresso, but ....  good espresso is too hard to
pass up.

Reviews of all San Francisco-area espresso shops, and some restaurant
espresso, is at http://www.coffeeratings.com.  If searing neighborhood near
the Hilton select SOMA (South Of Market Avenue) or Union Square.  

The closest of the honorable espresso shops is Blue Bottle's cafe at 66 Mint
Street (8 minute walk, 0.4 miles = .6km from the Hilton) map:
http://tinyurl.com/c94dwk.  To whet your appetite, here is the New York Times
article about Blue Bottle's cafe highlighting their siphon coffee,
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/23/dining/23coff.html.

In general the best-regarded espresso cafes in San Francisco are Blue Bottle
Cafe, Ritual Coffee Roasters, and Four Barrel.

I have not yet visited, but if you are interested in a unique San Francisco
experience there is a shop on the other side of San Francisco that serves only
toast, coconut, and coffee, called Trouble Coffee and Coconut Club,
http://theshot.coffeeratings.com/2008/01/trouble-coffee/

The espresso at Slanted Door restaurant is quite good, as is their
food/wine/beer.  It's a fancy vietnamese restaurant in the ferry building.

-d

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 07:56:17 -0700

> food/wine/beer.  It's a fancy vietnamese restaurant in the ferry  

+1

The ferry building is nice anyway, there are several other restaurants  
and some nice bakeries, cheese stores, etc. where you can buy snacks.  
The wine store has a small wine bar where they let you eat the food  
you bring if you let them pour you some wine (let them :-)

Lars

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 12:01:13 -0700

On 17-Mar-2009, at 22:53, Dan Wing wrote:

> Street

The espresso at this place is quite fabulous, having just been there  
to test it. Well worth a visit.

The coffee shop itself has a stark decor and has a hipster density  
which is beyond my threshold of tolerance, however. Maybe it'd be  
better if it was not mid-morning on a Saturday.

I can still taste the espresso. It was very good.

Joe

---

From: Coko Tracy Musaza <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:28:34 +0200

Yesterday I was down MACY'S, 3 min from the Hilton Hotel, I enjoyed
with chicken and potatoes.

The concierge guys in the Hotel will give some address of restaurants
you can find no fare from the hotel.
mama mia,  I started enjoying SFO yesterday before I begin IETF tomorrow.

You are All Welcome.

Tracy here.