Subject: [74attendees] Wireless network - rogue IPv6 RA detection?

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 08:16:31 +0000

Hi,

I looked on the meeting web page but couldn't see any advertised way to
contact the network ops people for IETF74 yet, hence this mail.

Each IETF meet we often see rogue IPv6 Router Advertisements on the
wireless network, usually for 6to4 addresses.

Would it be possible for the ops to set up and use a rogue RA detection
tool, such as RAMOND?   http://ramond.sourceforge.net/

We use this in our own network, and it was also used at the recent Cisco
Networkers event.   In addition to detecting and deprecating rogue RAs,
it also logs the offending prefixes and MAC source addresses, etc.  

By trying it at an event like the IETF it may be possible to improve it
further.  Obviously if it proves to be problematic for some reason it 
could easily be withdrawn from use.

I have contact info for the author if it is deployed.

Tim

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:10:21 -0400

> contact the network ops people for IETF74 yet, hence this mail.

Network Ops <[email-masked]>
Meeting Trouble Desk <[email-masked]>

I don't know whether they're being watched yet.

Barry

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:16:09 -0700

Gentlepeople,
	We'll see what we can do to add this to our task-list once we get  
onsite. Believe me, we feel the same pain with bad RAs and would be  
happy to mitigate the problem. We'll update the list on our success  
before the meeting opens.

	Tim, shall I interpret your comment to be an offer of help in the  
NOC? :-)

	- Jim

On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Barry Leiba wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 74attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 06:20:45 +1200 (ANAT)

May be good to contact Ray Pelletier, [email-masked], as he is IETF Administrative Director, working full time on IETF logistics. 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Barry Leiba" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Tim Chown" <[email-masked]> 
Cc: [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, 18 March, 2009 6:10:21 AM (GMT+1200) Auto-Detected 
Subject: Re: [74attendees] Wireless network - rogue IPv6 RA detection? 

Barry

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:24:52 -0700

You certainly can always ping Ray, but the network crew monitors this  
list as well.

	- Jim

On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Franck Martin wrote:

> May be good to contact Ray Pelletier, [email-masked], as he is  
> IETF Administrative Director, working full time on IETF logistics.
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 22:20:12 -0700

> May be good to contact Ray Pelletier, [email-masked], as he is IETF
> Administrative Director, working full time on IETF logistics.

and an excellent source of technical help

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:49:11 +0000

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'll talk to Jim offline to see if its
practical/appropriate to deploy ramond or a similar tool to try to 
mitigate rogue RAs next week.

Tim

-- 
Tim