Subject: [74attendees] IPv6 only on Mac

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:28:58 +1200 (ANAT)

When I join the IPv6Only network, I don't have any DNS. 

ping6 www.google.com does not work, as no resolution. Tips?

---

From: Nathan Ward <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:45:20 -0700

> ping6 www.google.com does not work, as no resolution. Tips?

You need a DHCPv6 client. OS X does not have one natively included.

The same is true of Windows XP.

--
Nathan Ward

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:43:16 -0700

> When I join the IPv6Only network, I don't have any DNS.

mac does not do dhcpv6 for dns, you need to hand configure

randy

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

You must be kidding right? ;) 

Is there anywhere an IPv6 checklist of things to fix on each device/network to get it IPv6 only capable? 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Nathan Ward" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, 24 March, 2009 7:45:20 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific 
Subject: Re: [74attendees] IPv6 only on Mac 

-- 
Nathan Ward 

_______________________________________________ 
74attendees mailing list 
[email-masked] 
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/74attendees

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 06:03:47 +0100

=> but you can run a DHCPv6 client so in fact the question is more
whether there is a stateless DHCPv6 server annoncing DNS servers
on the IETF IPv6 only network...

[email-masked]

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 22:39:34 -0700

> network to get it IPv6 only capable?

Well http://noc.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF74network tells you which  
DNS addresses to use... That's pretty much all you need.

---

From: Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:06:01 +1100

In message <[email-masked]>, Iljitsch van Beijn
> DNS addresses to use... That's pretty much all you need.

	Or you could run your own nameserver and talk to the roots
	using that.
-- 
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email-masked]

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:49:36 -0700

> You need a DHCPv6 client. OS X does not have one natively included.

Is there a server running? I compiled wide-dhcpv6, but I see no  
responses:

[eggert@dhcp-17d0: ~/Downloads/wide-dhcpv6-20080615] sudo ./dhcp6c -D - 
f en1
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: extracted an existing DUID from /var/db/ 
dhcp6c_duid: 00:01:00:01:11:5d:2a:32:00:17:f2:cd:94:09
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: failed to open /usr/local/etc/dhcp6cctlkey: No  
such file or directory
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: failed initialize control message authentication
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: skip opening control port
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: cfparse: fopen(/usr/local/etc/dhcp6c.conf): No  
such file or directory
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: reset a timer on en1, state=INIT, timeo=0,  
retrans=383
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: a new XID (1c9742) is generated
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: set client ID (len 14)
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: set elapsed time (len 2)
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: send solicit to ff02::1:2
Mar/25/2009 10:47:59: reset a timer on en1, state=SOLICIT, timeo=0,  
retrans=1088
Mar/25/2009 10:48:00: set client ID (len 14)
Mar/25/2009 10:48:00: set elapsed time (len 2)
Mar/25/2009 10:48:00: send solicit to ff02::1:2
Mar/25/2009 10:48:00: reset a timer on en1, state=SOLICIT, timeo=1,  
retrans=2151
...

tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol  
decode
listening on en1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
10:47:59.851283 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit
10:48:00.940379 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit
10:48:01.456708 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q]  
25/0/0[|domain]
10:48:01.456905 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q] 6/0/0[| 
domain]
10:48:03.092255 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit
10:48:07.376042 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit
10:48:11.885527 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0 [4a] [56q][| 
domain]
10:48:16.282592 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit
10:48:33.456598 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q]  
25/0/0[|domain]
10:48:33.456782 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q] 6/0/0[| 
domain]
10:48:33.500993 IP6 lars-2.local.dhcpv6-client > ff02::1:2.dhcpv6- 
server: dhcp6 solicit

Lars

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:55:37 -0700

> Is there a server running? I compiled wide-dhcpv6, but I see no  

I was getting responses earlier when I ran my DHCPv6 client, but  
haven't tried since yesterday.

---

From: Mohsen Souissi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:04:12 +0100

So here's a (new?) challenge for the top 2 providers of OS's for
laptops used by IETFers: Native DHCPv6 clients!

And with the NOC for next IETF meetings running a DHCPv6 server with
all useful info would be a good extra step towards adoption of the
IPv6-Only SSID ;-)

And I won't be provocative by asking for DHCPv6 option for prefix and
gw info, that'be too much and RA's are perfectly fine and much more
scalable for an IETF meeting... Take it easy :-)

Mohsen.

 On 24 Mar, Nathan Ward wrote:
 | On 24/03/2009, at 7:28 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
 | 
 | >When I join the IPv6Only network, I don't have any DNS.
 | >
 | >ping6 www.google.com does not work, as no resolution. Tips?
 | 
 | 
 | You need a DHCPv6 client. OS X does not have one natively included.
 | 
 | The same is true of Windows XP.

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:14:02 -0700

> laptops used by IETFers: Native DHCPv6 clients!

I'd be happy with RFC 5006 support.

Iljitsch

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:21:30 -0700

On 2009-3-25, at 11:02, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:
> Try 'dhcp6c -i' (stateless-only mode).  There seems to be a stateless
> DHCPv6 server that provides DNS-related information, but no stateful
> server.

Thanks, that worked.

(It seems pretty counter-intuitive that a user would need to know a  
mode to run an _auto_configuration protocol successfully...)

Lars

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:23:17 -0700

Yes, for the record there IS a server, but it is only doing  
stateless.  The only thing we are handing out is name servers.

On Mar 25, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Lars Eggert wrote:

> [eggert@dhcp-17d0: ~/Downloads/wide-dhcpv6-20080615] sudo ./dhcp6c - 
> D -f en1
> 10:48:01.456905 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q]  
> 6/0/0[|domain]
> 10:48:33.456782 IP6 lars-2.local.mdns > ff02::fb.mdns: 0*- [0q]  
> 6/0/0[|domain]
> Lars_______________________________________________
> 74attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]

Morgan Sackett
VP of Engineering

VeriLAN Event Services, Inc.
215 SE Morrison Street
Portland, OR 97214

Tel: 503 907-1415
Fax: 503 224-8833

[email-masked]
www.verilan.com

This e-mail contains proprietary information and may be confidential.  
If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby  
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this  
message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error,  
please delete it immediately.

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:30:54 -0700

At Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:21:30 -0700,

> mode to run an _auto_configuration protocol successfully...)

I must agree...note, however, that there are tools protocol-wise ("M"
and "O" flags of RA) and implementation-wise (e.g., BSD's rtsold can
invoke a DHCPv6 client in a proper mode based on the RA M/O flag).
Sadly, the deployment status is poor: M/O flags are inconvenient and
we failed to clarify or enhance these flags; not all implementations
support these flags anyway, and the use of it is often
counter-intuitive even when they are supported.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:51:31 +0200

> I'd be happy with RFC 5006 support.

That won't be of much help considering the IETF Router Advertisements do not 
provide DNS servers :(

-- 
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Nokia Devices R&D, Maemo Software, Helsinki

---

From: Mohsen Souissi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:40:27 +0100

On 25 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
 | On Wednesday 25 March 2009 20:14:02 ext Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
 | > On 25 mrt 2009, at 11:04, Mohsen Souissi wrote:
 | > > So here's a (new?) challenge for the top 2 providers of OS's for
 | > > laptops used by IETFers: Native DHCPv6 clients!
 | >
 | > I'd be happy with RFC 5006 support.
 | 
 | That won't be of much help considering the IETF Router Advertisements do not 
 | provide DNS servers :(

==> Rémi, that was an item on the wish-list for next IETF meetings ;-)

Mohsen.

---

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:51:14 +0900

> ==> Rémi, that was an item on the wish-list for next IETF meetings ;-)

Even if NOC team supports that, can your OS interpret that ?

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:57:24 +0200

On Thursday 26 March 2009 01:40:27 ext Mohsen Souissi wrote:
>  | That won't be of much help considering the IETF Router Advertisements do
>  | not provide DNS servers :(
>

Ok, good to know. My host is waiting for the option to show up...
(Ubuntu: apt-get install rdnssd)

---

From: "Rémi Denis-Courmont" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 02:01:30 +0200

> Even if NOC team supports that, can your OS interpret that ?

The Linux kernel has had support for it for a few versions. Additionally, 
Apple IETFers have publicly stated their interest on several occasions.

In other cases, you can fallback to parsing incoming ICMPv6 RAs via raw 
sockets, though that's a bit ugly and sometimes wrong.

---

From: Franck Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a bug filled on the apple developer bug database? Reference?

---

From: Vincent Lubet <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:13:49 -0700

> Is there a bug filled on the apple developer bug database? Reference?

Yes, we are shamelessly(;-) aware of the enhancement request that is  
tracked by Radar ID # 5357573

Vincent

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:02:35 -0700

At Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:49:36 -0700,

---
JINMEI, Tatuya