Subject: [81attendees] Whale watching cruises

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 15:24:49 -0400

All,

I've had several requests for information on whale watching cruises, so I
thought I might send this preemptively to all.

There are whales in the Saint-Laurent river, but not here near Québec city. You
need to go a little bit East, to Tadoussac, where the water turns from
freshwater to salty (well it's not a binary thing...).

Tadoussac is about 3.5 hours drive from Québec: http://goo.gl/IeHeV

Note that you need to take a ferry (free) just before you get there. Schedule
and information is at
http://www.traversiers.gouv.qc.ca/ferries/tadoussacbaie-sainte-catherine_14.php#Schedules

Once in Tadoussac, just pick any cruise you like. There are many offerings.
Tadoussac industry is overwhelmingly centred on whale watching cruises.

There are no guarantees that you will see whales. But chances are that you will.

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Hui Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 06:17:08 +0800

I am on my way back by renting a car, some time ferry has not a short queue
in the afternoon, at least today is, u can see whale even on the ferry,
anyway 3 hours cruise has better view

-Hui

2011/7/25 Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>

> _______________________________________________
> 81attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/81attendees
>

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Jul 2011 18:33:54 -0400

> anyway 3 hours cruise has better view

Whale watches leave from both Baie-Ste-Catherine on the near side of the 
ferry, and Tadoussac on the far side.  You can watch in everything from a 
big tour boat down to a rubber zodiac, wearing foul weather gear.

We took a zodiac whale tour a few summers ago from baie-ste-c, and it was 
really great.  This place is like a cafeteria for whales with the mixing 
fresh water from the fjord and the salt in the estuary, so your chances of 
seeing them are about 100%.  We saw lots of seals, belugas, fin whales and 
a relatively uncommon blue whale, all close enough to hear them breathe.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: Arno Bakker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:06:23 -0400

> big tour boat down to a rubber zodiac, wearing foul weather gear.

You can also book a bus+boat tour leaving right here from Quebec City
(pick up at hotel). Several options:

http://www.croisieresaml.com/en/_destinationproduit.php?iddest=49&idprod=15#tiroirs

https://www.toursvieuxquebec.com/en/forfait/croisire-en-zodiac

I booked with the first via phone. Bring warm clothes (hat, gloves)
if you do the zodiac thing.

Regards,
       Arno

---

From: Alexander Mayrhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:25:13 +0200

> > Whale watches leave from both Baie-Ste-Catherine on the near side of
> > the ferry, and Tadoussac on the far side. You can watch in
everything
> > from a big tour boat down to a rubber zodiac, wearing foul weather
gear.

I did the Whale watching thing back in 2006 (when we were in Montreal).
Based on recommendation on locals, i did it in Grande-Bergeronnes
instead of Tadoussac with this company:

http://www.essipit.com/eng/croisieres_zodiac.html

I would strongly recommend doing the Zodiac thing instead of the big
boats, because they get much quicker to the position of the whales.
That's if you don't mind wearing heavy sailing clothes, including gloves
and hood. They also offer Kayay tours - but whales are definitely
quicker than Kayaks :)

I didn't expect much at first, but it was literally breathtaking - They
were really good at estimating where the whales would  ascended to the
surface, whales got within about 20 meters of the boat. On the way back,
a whale ascended directly in front of the boat, and the skipper did a
very sharp turn & stop - he told us the whales do that all the time for
fun. Bring a camera with a good Telephoto lens (and make sure you got a
waterproof bag for it!).

I even got a GPS track of that ride here: 
http://timatio.com/traces/5881-whale-watching-tour

Alex

---

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:34:59 -0400

Le 11-07-26 11:25, Alexander Mayrhofer a écrit :
> I would strongly recommend doing the Zodiac thing

I completly agree. did that too years ago and was great. (unless you do 
not feel good to be in a zodiac)

Marc.

> instead of the big
> very sharp turn&  stop - he told us the whales do that all the time for

-- 
=========
IETF81 Quebec city: http://ietf81.ca
IPv6 book: Migrating to IPv6, Wiley. http://www.ipv6book.ca
Stun/Turn server for VoIP NAT-FW traversal: http://numb.viagenie.ca
DTN Implementation: http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64-DNS64 Opensource: http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
Space Assigned Number Authority: http://sanaregistry.org