Subject: [81attendees] Cirque

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:09:01 -0400

All,

The Québécois are known for their love of circus. During the IETF week
there will be two shows.

---------

Cirque du Soleil (FREE!)

There is a free outdoor show from the Cirque du Soleil called "Les
Chemins invisibles". This is highly recommended. You don’t need a
reservation, don’t need to buy anything. You just show up on site and
watch the show.

During the IETF week, the show will be at 21:30 every day from Tuesday
to Saturday.

More information:
http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/events/chemins-invisibles/maps-info.aspx

Walking directions from the convention centre:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&dirflg=w&t=h&msa=0&msid=214061500835656054549.0004a599ff1ec29bc4a12&ll=46.813116,-71.212521&spn=0.011983,0.028732&z=16

------------

Cavalia

This is an equestrian circus under a big white tent in the port. Prices
start at 45$ and go up depending on the seating area.

During the IETF week, the show will be at 20:00 every day from Tuesday
to the end.

More information and to buy tickets:
http://unrevedeliberte.cavalia.net/en/

Walking directions from the convention centre:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Centre+des+congr%C3%A8s+de+Qu%C3%A9bec,+900+Boulevard+Ren%C3%A9-L%C3%A9vesque+Est,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1R+2B5,+Canada&daddr=Route+inconnue&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=46.813454,-71.208444&spn=0.024612,0.057464&sll=46.815465,-71.213585&sspn=0.012306,0.028732&geocode=FV1BygId7FLB-yGItx7-xe7P_CnPU-1v2JW4TDETBCKqydrm-A%3BFeBwygId1WjB-w&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&z=15

Simon
-- 
DTN made easy, lean, and smart --> http://postellation.viagenie.ca
NAT64/DNS64 open-source        --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server               --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 08:30:46 -0700

Most excellent. If we go after one of the plenaries, we can see two circuses in one night!

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Olaf Kolkman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:36:37 +0200

On Jul 19, 2011, at 2:09 PM, Simon Perreault wrote:

> 
> The Québécois are known for their love of circus. 

I foresee a run on late registrations ....

________________________________________________________ 

Olaf M. Kolkman                        NLnet Labs
http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 17:42:22 +0200

> I foresee a run on late registrations ....

and sale of social tickets ;-)

---

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 13:33:54 -0400

> I foresee a run on late registrations ....

Are you suggesting that we need a special registration
experiment that would provide a reduced fee for someone
attending only the plenaries and a small selection of "special"
WGs?

  :-(

   john

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:34:25 -0400

Saw the Cirque du Soleil show last night.  Was *really* great -- even
though it was a bit short due to the rain.  I highly recommend it.

Thank you for the info!

Lou

---

From: David Allan I <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:43:48 -0400

A big +1! 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lou Berger
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:34 AM
To: Simon Perreault
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [81attendees] Cirque

Saw the Cirque du Soleil show last night.  Was *really* great -- even though it was a bit short due to the rain.  I highly recommend it.

Thank you for the info!

Lou

On 7/19/2011 8:09 AM, Simon Perreault wrote:
> Chemins invisibles". This is highly recommended. You don't need a 
> reservation, don't need to buy anything. You just show up on site and 
> watch the show.
> 
> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&dirflg=w&t=h&msa=0&msid=2140615
> 00835656054549.0004a599ff1ec29bc4a12&ll=46.813116,-71.212521&spn=0.011
> 983,0.028732&z=16
> 
> ------------
> 
> Cavalia
> 
> This is an equestrian circus under a big white tent in the port. 
> Prices start at 45$ and go up depending on the seating area.
> 
> http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Centre+des+congr%C3%A8s+de+Qu%C3%A9b
> ec,+900+Boulevard+Ren%C3%A9-L%C3%A9vesque+Est,+Qu%C3%A9bec,+QC+G1R+2B5
> ,+Canada&daddr=Route+inconnue&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&ll=46.813454,-71.208444&sp
> n=0.024612,0.057464&sll=46.815465,-71.213585&sspn=0.012306,0.028732&ge
> ocode=FV1BygId7FLB-yGItx7-xe7P_CnPU-1v2JW4TDETBCKqydrm-A%3BFeBwygId1Wj
> B-w&mra=ltm&dirflg=w&z=15
> 
> 
> Simon
_______________________________________________
81attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/81attendees

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:44:18 -0700

I saw it too.  I was worried that, given that it was free and Cirque
du Soleil, that you'd need to get there really early to get in, but I
think there is infinite capacity (everyone just stands around), so you
can get there at 9:30 PM (when it starts) and get in...it's just that
the earlier you come the better a view you'll get.  It is hard to see
some of it with tall people and people with kids on their shoulders in
front of you, but there are plenty of things that are high up that you
can see even if you're short and in the back of the crowd.  (we got
there about 9:20 PM).

Also, it's very confusing finding it, even though it's just a 10
minute walk or so from the convention center, so you might want to get
good instructions.

Radia

---

From: Roland Bless <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 16:12:47 +0200

Hi,

> though it was a bit short due to the rain.  I highly recommend it.

Big +1,
Great artists, great musicians, great sound, great show!

Regards,
 Roland

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 05:48:16 +0200

Another +1 - and no rain on Wednesday so we could enjoy the nearly full hour performance.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Dirk
PS: and it was really free, no asking for donations, no selling of add-ons a.s.o.
Thanks to the (nearly invisible) sponsors I presume ...

Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von David Allan I
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2011 15:44
An: Lou Berger; Simon Perreault
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [81attendees] Cirque

A big +1!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Lou Berger
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:34 AM
To: Simon Perreault
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [81attendees] Cirque

Thank you for the info!

Lou

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:16:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Radia Perlman wrote:

> can get there at 9:30 PM (when it starts) and get in.

I concur with Radia's assessment.  Even on a lovely, dry Saturday 
night, late arrivals could get in.  There is a reserved seating area 
available for $18, but it seems bit far from the stage(s) and probably 
isn't worthwhile unless you absolutely need to be sitting.

I suggest arriving at 9pm when the doors open.  Like Cirque's 
regular shows, there is some amount of pre-show (all dialogue in 
French).

About the show: running time is about 60 minutes, or about half the 
length of Cirque's regular shows.  They do some things that are 
challenging in tents, like fire juggling.  The acrobatics are similar 
in quality, though perhaps not quantity, to the regular shows.  On the 
whole, the show's production value, music, and cohesiveness are a 
quarter- to half-step down from the regular shows, but it's still very 
good.  Whether you've seen Cirque's regular shows or not, I highly 
recommend it.  (And it's free.)

Some pictures and video, in case you aren't sure what you're getting 
into:
http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/evhttp://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/events/chemins-invisibles/photos-illustrations.aspxents/chemins-invisibles/photos-illustrations.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfKzRP9D6Xg

-- Sam

---

From: Harold Ritter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 13:44:54 -0400

I saw the show last night and it is truly excellent. I would encourage everybody who has not seen it yet  to go see it before you leave. 

Le 2011-07-28 à 13:16, Samuel Weiler a écrit :

> I concur with Radia's assessment.  Even on a lovely, dry Saturday night, late arrivals could get in.  There is a reserved seating area available for $18, but it seems bit far from the stage(s) and probably isn't worthwhile unless you absolutely need to be sitting.
> 
> I suggest arriving at 9pm when the doors open.  Like Cirque's regular shows, there is some amount of pre-show (all dialogue in French).
> 
> About the show: running time is about 60 minutes, or about half the length of Cirque's regular shows.  They do some things that are challenging in tents, like fire juggling.  The acrobatics are similar in quality, though perhaps not quantity, to the regular shows.  On the whole, the show's production value, music, and cohesiveness are a quarter- to half-step down from the regular shows, but it's still very good.  Whether you've seen Cirque's regular shows or not, I highly recommend it.  (And it's free.)
> 
> Some pictures and video, in case you aren't sure what you're getting into:

Harold Ritter
Directeur Technique/Technical Leader
Advanced Services Central Engineering
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)

[email-masked]
Téléphone: 514 847 6856

Les Systèmes Cisco 
1800 McGill College
Suite 700
Montréal, Québec H3A 3J6
Canada