Subject: [81attendees] FW: New Requirement for US Employees traveling toCanada

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 00:04:05 +0200

Exactly. 

There is a difference for the travel reason between "business" and
"attendance in an international conference".

E.g., if you tell the US immigration the reason for your travel is
business, 

they assume that you are going to sell something or will have business
meetings with negotiations.

This is not the case for an IETF meeting.

Cheers, 
Mehmet

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of ext Scott Brim
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Chu, Ursula; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [81attendees] New Requirement for US Employees traveling
toCanada

I say "conference of people from all over the world...  You should see a
lot more like me coming through. We're all here to try to make the
Internet better".

---

From: Joe Abley <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 15:17:23 -0700

On 2011-07-09, at 18:04, Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich) wrote:

> E.g., if you tell the US immigration the reason for your travel is business,
> they assume that you are going to sell something or will have business meetings with negotiations.
>  

Perhaps you are talking about some different IETF meeting from the one I am familiar with.

Joe

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:10:22 +0900

> This is not the case for an IETF meeting.

then why are all those vendors there?  :)/2

randy

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Jul 2011 21:42:11 -0400

>> meetings with negotiations.

Actually, business meetings are fine.  Just don't sell stuff (unless you 
have the requisite GST registration) or get hired for a job.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 10:50:23 +0200

The point is whether you aim to sell something, i.e. do business.

Our aim is Internet standardization.

Cheers, 
Mehmet 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Joe Abley [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:17 AM
> To: Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)
> Cc: ext Scott Brim; [email-masked]; Chu, Ursula;
[email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [81attendees] FW: New Requirement for US Employees
> travelingtoCanada
> 
> 
> Perhaps you are talking about some different IETF meeting from the one
I am
> familiar with.

---

From: Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:44:33 -0400

I have discovered that "I am attending a conference" is safer than "I am giving a talk at a conference".

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John R. Levine
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2011 9:42 PM
To: Randy Bush
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [81attendees] FW: New Requirement for US Employees traveling toCanada

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly
_______________________________________________
81attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/81attendees

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 09:45:05 -0400

>>>>> "Ross" == Ross Callon <[email-masked]> writes:
    Ross> I have discovered that "I am attending a conference" is safer
    Ross> than "I am giving a talk at a conference".

Yes.  Speakers are usually paid!
The concept that we are all equals at the IETF is a foreign concept to
immigration.  "International Standards Meetings" is what I have always
said.  

They will ask you if you are being paid, and the answer is "I am
salaried by XYZ Corp of Country, this is part of my job. I am an
attendee" 

-- 
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls  [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works, Ottawa, ON    |net architect[
] [email-masked] http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
   Kyoto Plus: watch the video <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzx1ycLXQSE>
	               then sign the petition.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:10:57 +0200

> salaried by XYZ Corp of Country, this is part of my job. I am an

  It always helps for me to say "I am not getting paid to speak.  I am
paying for the privilege of attending the conference"

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Klaas Wierenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:15:08 +0200

> paying for the privilege of attending the conference"

but than again, you can always rely on your Quebecois accent ;-)

Klaas

---

From: Alan T DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 17:09:40 +0200

Alan DeKok.