Subject: [82all] TICC restrictions on food/beverage

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 12:35:47 -0500

All;

Prior to the meeting it was disclosed that the TICC restricted bringing outside food into the TICC, which generated a lengthy discussion on the IETF list with this subject.

This is a typical provision in venue contracts.

Did anyone encounter any difficulties in this regard?  Anecdotal evidence says not.

Ray

---

From: "Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:38:10 +0100

Depends on what is included in "food" but I did not see that the RFC
Editor had any difficulty in putting out their usual selection of
chocolates and sweets!

yaacov

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of ext Ray Pelletier
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 7:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [82all] TICC restrictions on food/beverage

All;

Prior to the meeting it was disclosed that the TICC restricted bringing
outside food into the TICC, which generated a lengthy discussion on the
IETF list with this subject.

Did anyone encounter any difficulties in this regard?  Anecdotal
evidence says not.

Ray

_______________________________________________
82all mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82all

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 11:47:57 -0600

The only difficulty encountered was that food was only allowed in
certain rooms.  I had arranged a lunchtime meeting and originally had
a room that allowed food.  That meeting room was usurped for the
speaker on Thursday. So, I reminded people that we were meeting in a
room that did not allow food. As a result, some folks did not get
lunch that day.  I do not recall any other venue explicitly
disallowing food in specific meeting rooms (or we weren't told such)
as it is very common to have lunchtime and breakfast meetings (when
food is provided at the venue).

Mary.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 12:18:52 -0600

Hi Ray,

I guess it depends what you consider a problem. I never witnessed enforcement of these rules, but the explicit mention caused me to change behaviors in ways that made the meetings less pleasant for me. When there were no sodas for the first couple of days, I would have brought outside sodas in had I not been warned that they weren't allowed. I have regularly done this at other meetings where the sodas were either scarce or expensive in the venue.  (I didn't discover they were available in the cafe until after the caterer started supplying them mid-week.) This would not have been an issue had the caterer supplied them all week.

OTOH, I did enjoy the pulpy apple juice.

There were also prominently displayed warnings not to bring beverages into the meeting rooms, which means you have to finish break beverages during the break. I am usually in the habit of bringing a soda or water bottle into the meeting and nursing it for the duration.  I'm used to seeing such rules for the terminal room, but not the meeting rooms.

It's interesting that these are typical provisions (and I don't doubt this is true), given that this is the first time they have been, to my knowledge, actively communicated to the attendees. If it has been typical of past meetings, it hasn't been communicated or enforced. Since they were explicitly communicated this time, I assumed that the TICC intended to enforce them. But again, I never witnessed such enforcement.

Thanks!

Ben.

On Dec 1, 2011, at 11:35 AM, Ray Pelletier wrote:

> This is a typical provision in venue contract

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:20:36 -0000

Ray,

It didn't in anyway restrict my actions as an individual, and no-one asked to
see inside my bag.

Cheers,
Adrian

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ray
> Pelletier
> Sent: 01 December 2011 17:36
> To: [email-masked]
outside
> food into the TICC, which generated a lengthy discussion on the IETF list with
this
> subject.

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 21:18:55 +0100

On 12/01/2011 06:35 PM, Ray Pelletier wrote:
> All;
> 
> Prior to the meeting it was disclosed that the TICC restricted
> bringing outside food into the TICC, which generated a lengthy
> discussion on the IETF list with this subject.
> 

Inconvenient but not disastrously so.

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 14:14:26 -0800 (PST)

Mary,

I think the question here was about "policing" rather that specific 
language in the contract. In other words, did anyone get stopped,
challenged, frisked or waterboarded for carrying in food? [:=)]
We didn't hear about any such incidents, and for your specific meeting
the recommendation would probably have been "keep a low profile"
per the host's suggestion.

I have been spending some time in Japan following the Taipei meeting,
and part of that involves attending another conference. I discovered
that the thermostats in the meeting rooms were set to 27C which I 
consider inhumane. The good news is that no "locks" were set so I
quickly changed the setting to a more tolerable 21C and kept my 
fingers crossed until someone would discover this and change it back.
I would certainly want to have the ability to specify "normal" 
temperature in future contracts without wishing to get into a debate
about what that means here.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 19:17:40 +0900

in taipei, undereating was not my problem

randy

---

From: Robert Moskowitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2011 13:37:31 -0500

As you know I almost always need to brown bag my meals, though I do raid 
the bananas, cokes, and sometimes juices that my fees pay for :)   I was 
rather upset about no cokes at first and spoke to Marcia about this.  
She was also upset and said it was being fixed, as it was.

I did typically eat my meals in the hall seating areas or the terminal 
room with no problem.  I did have cokes in the meeting rooms and had no 
comments from the cleaning crew at the end of the sessions.

Oh, I did bring my own food into the little restaurant in the building 
for a noon meeting with a few others.  As long as I bought something (a 
coke in this case), they did not bother me about bringing my own food 
into their eatery.  I have been in hotels in the US where they would NOT 
let me bring my own food into their lobby restaurant at all.

-- 
Robert Moskowitz
Senior Technical Advisor
Security & Standards
Verizon Business Systems
C:248-219-2059
F:248-968-2824
E:[email-masked]

There's no limit to what can be accomplished if it doesn't matter who 
gets the credit

---

From: Hadriel Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 15:36:52 +0000

I brought in some canned drinks and donuts from the local 7-11 and no one bothered me.  I also ignored the no-drinks-in-rooms restriction and no one bothered me about it.  So I thought the restrictions were fine (and not unusual anyway). :)

I was also really happy that they didn't remove the coffee at 9:00:00.000AM like most of the IETF places.  I don't know if the contract had the coffee out longer, or their folks were just not as punctual as hotel staff are, but whatever it was I was grateful.

-hadriel