Subject: Re: [82attendees] Since we're on the topic of what to do on arrival...

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Oct 2011 19:16:13 -0400

> Is there any economical source of SIM cards at the airport?

A little googlage finds this page about the airport, which says there's a store 
selling SIMs from Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Cellular, and Far Eastone.  Dunno 
about the relative merits of the carriers, but I expect it depends on what you 
plan to do.

I'm interested in reasonably priced local calls and SMS, with reasonably priced 
calls to the US a bonus.

http://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/facility_e.jsp?cnid=1224

> It would be nice to have a working map application before braving the public 
> transit system, although I suppose there are those who might say that 
> crutches of this sort take all the fun out of it...

I'd prefer a printed map.  Call me an old fogey.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:54:16 -0400

On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:16 PM, "John R Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> A little googlage finds this page about the airport, which says there's a store selling SIMs from Chunghwa Telecom, Taiwan Cellular, and Far Eastone.  Dunno about the relative merits of the carriers, but I expect it depends on what you plan to do.

Wow, that's quite a comprehensive vendor list.   Thanks for the pointer.   I will certainly check those stores out when I get in.