Subject: [82attendees] Why can't we walk?

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:22:09 -0800

I ended up booking a room at the Shangri-La's Far Eastern
Hotel.  On the meeting accommodations page it says that you
can't walk from there to the convention center.  Why not?

Thanks,

Melinda

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 16:52:55 -0700 (PDT)

It's about 2 kilometers away:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202242792288504239937.0004abd9856d6ec81a436&msa=0&ll=25.035877,121.55797&spn=0.004977,0.009613

You can certainly walk, Google estimates it will take 27 minutes.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Melinda Shore wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 82attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees
>

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:19:54 -0700

BTW, the Far Eastern aka Shangri-la is a real nice hotel. Take time to look at the artwork.

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:49:29 -0700 (PDT)

I should add that taxis are not expensive in Taipei and that public 
transportation is also generally very good. Check the annotated Google
map linked from the host website:

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 18:55:34 -0700

> You can certainly walk, Google estimates it will take 27 minutes.

and likely quite over 27c.  and i believe that the op is a recently
converted alaskan.

randy

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

According to weather.com, the average for the November 13 - 18
(aka IETF week) is a high of 23 and a low of 17, so walking early
morning or early evening should not be too horrendous...

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:10:42 -0800

> and likely quite over 27c.  and i believe that the op is a recently

It's tempting to be at least a little sarcastic about this sort of
thing, but seriously, I do think that saying the issue is that it's
a couple of km  from the meeting space rather than asserting that
it's "unwalkable" without an explanation would be more helpful for
people who are trying to sort out hotel options.

But yeah, temperatures here will be below 0F by the time I leave for
Taipei, and I figure some discomfort in Taipei is a given.

Melinda

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 23:24:19 -0700

> thing, but seriously, I do think that saying the issue is that it's a
> couple of km from the meeting space rather than asserting that it's
> "unwalkable" without an explanation would be more helpful for people
> who are trying to sort out hotel options.

for ripe/wien, i just changed reservation from the conference hotel to
one about 2.5 km away because it is in a nicer place and half the price.

> Taipei, and I figure some discomfort in Taipei is a given.

the food makes up for it.  wait 'til you try moose dumplings :)

randy