Subject: [82attendees] IPv6 on a D-Link AP?

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:22:16 +0800

Greetings folks,
just randomly puttering around:
in Quebec City I ended up buying a D-Link DIR-401 WLAN AP, and was 
tickled to find that it supported IPv6!
however....

plugging it into the (wired-only) IETF network in my room did not 
magically get working IPv6 on my wireless. Seemingly, there is no 
supported way to magically snarf a prefix from the net and announce it 
on my WLAN segment.

Is there a working way to do this?

Failing working magic - is there a way to get a subnet assignment that I 
can configure on the box?

                       Harald

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:27:15 +0800

Just a question, but do you have it in a bridged mode, or are you
running it as a NAT box?

-Morgan

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> in Quebec City I ended up buying a D-Link DIR-401 WLAN AP, and was tickled
> to find that it supported IPv6!
> however....
>
> plugging it into the (wired-only) IETF network in my room did not magically
> get working IPv6 on my wireless. Seemingly, there is no supported way to
> magically snarf a prefix from the net and announce it on my WLAN segment.
>
> Failing working magic - is there a way to get a subnet assignment that I can
> configure on the box?
>
>                      Harald
>
> _______________________________________________
> 82attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:02:33 +0800

On Nov 16, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> plugging it into the (wired-only) IETF network in my room did not magically get working IPv6 on my wireless. Seemingly, there is no supported way to magically snarf a prefix from the net and announce it on my WLAN segment.
> 

DHCPv6 prefix delegation?

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:13:23 -0800

if you're adding dhcpv6 pd to the network requirements, please do so...

In my room, I just bridged...

joel

-- 
Joel Jaeggli 

Network Engineering
+1.541.513.4095
[email-masked]

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 10:18:12 +0800

> Just a question, but do you have it in a bridged mode, or are you
Bridged mode is probably the answer, short term. This would also work 
with APs that don't support IPv6.

I suspect that it'll still be answering on 192.168.1.1 on the public net 
- otherwise it's hard to get to the box for turning DHCP back on later. 
Shouldn't be a real problem.

Would be nice to have DHCPv6 prefix delegation available, but I suspect 
the box doesn't support that. At least not with the image it came with :-)
> -Morgan
>
>
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Harald Alvestrand<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Greetings folks,