Subject: [82attendees] Guanghua Market Digital Plaza

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 09:01:09 -0500

I went to Guanghua Market Digital Plaza today, kind of Fry's on 5 levels.  Lot
of interesting stuff, even if I did not find was I was searching (Hantek 5200a,
just in case).  I recommend to go after 11:00am.  There was a nice fresh
products market behind the building, and another street behind the market with
more computer stuff.

Taxi was 150/175 from the Hyatt.

- -- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]
Professional email: [email-masked]
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org

---

From: Serge Lachapelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 22:32:44 +0800

Apparently, the camera street is on Hankou St.

http://g.co/maps/ufc3a

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_in_Taipei

/Serge

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 22:01, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAk6/zaMACgkQ9RoMZyVa61fiLQCfTPnCXHYdLkZzXdODgnGf1LJm
> KRQAn1QgabGaHmVSNxW03VwkdLd9p65B
> =DLQU
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
> _______________________________________________
> 82attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees
>

-- 
Serge Lachapelle | Product Manager | [email-masked] | +46 732 01 22 32
Google Sweden AB | Kungsbron 2, SE-111 22 Stockholm | Org. nr. 556656-6880

Apparently, this footer is required in Europe. Apologies. This email may be
confidential or privileged.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don't forward it to anyone else,please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it went to the wrong person.
 Thanks.

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:46:55 +0200

Interesting. The prices at Guanghua were not great. I wonder if they would be better at Hanoku.

A Nikon S6200 cost NT$8000 ($264 US). The same camera costs $220 in the US and I so it for 165 Euros ($224 US) at the airport in Paris, and you never get the best price at airports.

And no, the VAT doesn't account for the difference.

I think a trip there would require a bus/subway ride. Can anyone share any positive/negative experiences with the subway?

On Nov 13, 2011, at 10:32 PM, Serge Lachapelle wrote:

http://g.co/maps/ufc3a

/Serge

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 22:01, Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Personal email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Professional email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Blog: http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org<http://blog.marc.petit-huguenin.org/>
_______________________________________________
82attendees mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees

--
Serge Lachapelle | Product Manager | [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> | +46 732 01 22 32
Google Sweden AB | Kungsbron 2, SE-111 22 Stockholm | Org. nr. 556656-6880

Apparently, this footer is required in Europe. Apologies. This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else,please erase all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to the wrong person.  Thanks.
<ATT00001..txt>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:37:06 +0100

We took the subway on Saturday morning from the City Hall station to the
Longshan station. Good experience. The station is about ten minutes walk
from the Hyatt. The ride was nice and the trains were not crowded, but
it was a weekend day. The ticket machines sell magnetic coins which are
scanned when you enter and retained at exit. They have a map with the
name of the stations in English and the fare for each station from the
place you are.  Stations are announced and displayed in English in the
train. Very good experience overall. 

Dan

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Yoav Nir

. Can anyone share any positive/negative experiences with the subway?

---

From: 王忍成 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 01:30:03 +0800

For those who want to go to Guanhua Market Area, the MRT is more convenient
and cheap. Get off at the ZhongShao-XinSheng station, which is just 3 stops
from the Taipei City Hall, and walk out from the Exit 1. The Guahua Market
Area is nearby. Although the Guanghua Market Digital Plaza is the landmark
building, most stores are separated in a border area. For the electronic
materials and equipment such as the Hantek 5200a (BTW, it costs around
NT$10k in Taiwan), the stores near the intersection of the XinSheng S. Rd.,
and the BaDe Rd., might have more opportunities to sell it.

Reen-Cheng Wang
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Marc Petit-Huguenin
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2011 10:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [82attendees] Guanghua Market Digital Plaza

I went to Guanghua Market Digital Plaza today, kind of Fry's on 5 levels.
Lot of interesting stuff, even if I did not find was I was searching (Hantek
5200a, just in case).  I recommend to go after 11:00am.  There was a nice
fresh products market behind the building, and another street behind the
market with more computer stuff.

- --
Marc Petit-Huguenin

---

From: Serge Lachapelle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 07:09:18 +0800

Using google translate, I was able to find this online internet site to
look at prices in taiwan. First impression is that the prices are the same
or a little higher than amazon.com for camera lenses.

http://ecshweb.pchome.com.tw/

/Serge

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 01:30, 王忍成 <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On

---

From: Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 15:31:49 -0800 (PST)

I think you will probably find the "stuff they don't sell at home" the 
most interesting. Last time I was in Taipei the first 32G USB drives
were just becoming available and were "hot items" in the stores around
the Digital Plaza. Have a look around, especially the smaller stores
and you could certainly find both bargains and special deals on models
that might not even be sold elsewhere. The same can of course be said
about Akihabara in Tokyo.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

---

From: Steven Bellovin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:22:53 -0500

> I think a trip there would require a bus/subway ride. Can anyone share any positive/negative experiences with the subway?
Fast, efficient, and clean -- highly recommended. 

		--Steve Bellovin, https://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Nov 2011 23:51:46 +0800

> Fast, efficient, and clean -- highly recommended.

I took it today, and it's fine.  You can buy individual tickets, but if 
you plan to use it at all regularly, get an Easycard from a machine at the 
station or from a 7-11.  The card costs NT$100 plus whatever credit it 
has, between $100 and $400 depending on where you get it.  Cards are 
refillable, and the web site says it's fully refundable if you return it 
at a Metro station in good condition.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: 王忍成 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 00:09:29 +0800

The card sells in MRT stations is the EasyCard. The NT$100 is refundable
after a period of use.
The other one sells in 7-11 is iCash with EasyCard function. The NT$100 is
not refundable.
Both cards can refill in 7-11 and MRT stations.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of John R. Levine
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 11:52 PM
To: Steven Bellovin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [82attendees] Guanghua Market Digital Plaza

>> I think a trip there would require a bus/subway ride. Can anyone share
any positive/negative experiences with the subway?
> Fast, efficient, and clean -- highly recommended.

I took it today, and it's fine.  You can buy individual tickets, but if you
plan to use it at all regularly, get an Easycard from a machine at the
station or from a 7-11.  The card costs NT$100 plus whatever credit it has,
between $100 and $400 depending on where you get it.  Cards are refillable,
and the web site says it's fully refundable if you return it at a Metro
station in good condition.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
Dummies", Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail.
http://jl.ly _______________________________________________
82attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees