Subject: [82attendees] ATMs

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 11:54:47 -0400

I saw a passing comment somewhere that ATMs were scarce in Taipei and 
one should bring cash to convert to local currency. But I also think I 
saw a reference to an ATM at the airport.

Can someone in the know expound on the availability (or lack thereof) of 
ATMs?

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:11:33 -0500

Lonely planet website indicates that ATMs are usually found in 7-Elevens:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/taiwan/practical-information/money-costs

And, if you believe wikipedia, Taiwan has the highest density of 7-elevens
per person in the world:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Taiwan

Mary.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I saw a passing comment somewhere that ATMs were scarce in Taipei and one
> should bring cash to convert to local currency. But I also think I saw a
> reference to an ATM at the airport.
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> 82attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/**listinfo/82attendees<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees>
>

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:22:56 +0100

Do all ATMs have an English UI? 

Dan

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Mary Barnes
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 6:12 PM
To: Paul Kyzivat
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [82attendees] ATMs

Lonely planet website indicates that ATMs are usually found in
7-Elevens:

And, if you believe wikipedia, Taiwan has the highest density of
7-elevens per person in the world:

Mary.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
wrote:

       Thanks,
       Paul
_______________________________________________
82attendees mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:31:14 -0500

Here's a list of banks in Taiwan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banks_in_Taiwan

So, you should be able to avoid the transaction fees (depending upon your
bank) if you can find a branch location.

For Bank of America, from the info I could find, there is a branch office
in the Taipei-101 building/center.  That looks to be about a 7 min walk
from the Hyatt.

Mary.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:18 AM, John R. Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> FlyerTalk agrees, there's no shortage of ATMs, particularly inside 7-11's,
> but those may charge you extra:
>
> http://www.flyertalk.com/**forum/asia/1063571-atms-tpe.**html<http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/1063571-atms-tpe.html>
>
> Regards,
> John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for
> Dummies",
> Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly
>

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 2 Nov 2011 14:08:29 -0400

A lot of the foreign banks are just wealth management or commercial 
representative offices, so I wouldn't count on finding an ATM even if they 
have an office.  Check out the web page for B of A's Taipei branch at
http://www.bankofamerica.com/tw/

> in the Taipei-101 building/center.  That looks to be about a 7 min walk

Huh?  Taipei 101 is across the street from the Hyatt.  It's not hard to 
find, being 500 metres high and by far the tallest building in the 
country.

But it's pretty clear that your card will work at other ATM's, albeit with 
B of A's "we overcharge you just because we can" foreign transaction fees.

For anyone with an HSBC account, they have a branch with an ATM across the 
street from the convention center.

R's,
John

---

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:38:27 -0500

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:08 PM, John R. Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.bankofamerica.com/**tw/ <http://www.bankofamerica.com/tw/>

[MB] I found that website, but didn't find any useful information. [/MB]

> find, being 500 metres high and by far the tallest building in the country.
>
[MB] That's what google maps told me.  I guess it depends upon where you
start in the Hyatt.  Certainly, that number is very much YMMV and I
honestly don't know if they consider time waiting for traffic to cross
streets. [/MB]

---

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:59:34 -0400

It appears there's some next door to the meeting:

Taipei World Trade Center Banking Service:
NO.5, Hsin-Yi Rd., Sec 5, Taipei, Taiwan, 11011, R.O.C.
1. ATM, banking, postal and other services are available at the TWTC
Hall 1 entrance (Hsinyi Rd.), the "World Trade Plaza" entrance of the
International Trade Building (Keelung Rd.).
2. Currency exchange services is available in the post offce at the TWTC
Hall 1 (near by entrance 11) during the exhibition period, the opening
hours of the post offce will be extended in coordiance with TIBE' s daily
opening hours.
3. ATMs available on both sides of the TWTC Hall 2 entrance.
4. ATMs available on both sides of the TWTC Hall 3's Songshou Rd.
entrance.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 22:54:28 +0000

I can confirm the availability of ATMs at the Taipei airport. I used one of them 3 weeks ago, that one was located just before the exit from the airport building. It had an English UI.
If you mistype your pin, you get a receipt with a 4 digit number in the 'code' field (good luck in finding out what that means). When the transaction goes through, that same field should say 'OK'.
I saw plenty of ATMs  all over the city.

- Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Paul Kyzivat
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 8:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [82attendees] ATMs

I saw a passing comment somewhere that ATMs were scarce in Taipei and one should bring cash to convert to local currency. But I also think I saw a reference to an ATM at the airport.

Can someone in the know expound on the availability (or lack thereof) of ATMs?

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:26:56 +0800

There was one ATM prior to customs/immigration and two after.  I don't 
remember whether it asked for English, but there were 8 of us who 
figured it out.

spt

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:30:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011, Sean Turner wrote:

> There was one ATM prior to customs/immigration and two after.  I 
> don't remember whether it asked for English, but there were 8 of us 
> who figured it out.

English was an option, but it also asked which card network you wanted 
to use (e.g. Plus or Cirrus).

-- Sam

---

From: Morgan Sackett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:58:50 +0800

I had to use the Cirrus option to let it access my Mastercard debit card.

-Morgan

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> remember whether it asked for English, but there were 8 of us who figured it
>> out.
>
> English was an option, but it also asked which card network you wanted to
> use (e.g. Plus or Cirrus).
>
> -- Sam
>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:18:55 +0800

If you want to wait until after customs, as you are walking towards the taxi area, there is a large garish pink ATM sign near the windows. It's a Bank of Taiwan ATM, seemed perfectly reasonable. Dispenses both NT$1000 and NT$100 bill. NT$4500 appears in my bank statement as US$149.15, plus a 1% service fee. Seems quite reasonable.

--Paul Hoffman

---

From: Thomas Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:26:57 -0500

Not sure if this was mentioned before.  There are several ATMs in Taipei 101.  

Find the INFORMATION Booth one floor above the food court.  Then walk left from the booth, take the first corridor on the left, and just before "Foli Foli" there is a set of doors behind which are 4 ATMs with different networks.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Samuel Weiler
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2011 9:31 AM
To: Sean Turner
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [82attendees] ATMs

-- Sam