Subject: [82attendees] Who should populate the wiki? (was Re: [IAOC] Electrical plug/outlet

From: Mary Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:01:59 -0500

I think all that what I am trying to suggest is that some information
in the wiki be pre-populated - I don't think anyone's suggesting the
basic model change - I think there is push back because of the
suggestion that there are people that naturally know more about the
venue because they've been to the venue, interacted directly with the
host, etc. thus it would be good if they would  provide some of the
information before the attendees start wondering about it and doing
their own searches.  The amount of information on the host sites
varies tremendously and of course, the formats for the webpages are
all different, so finding the same information each time isn't as easy
as it might seem.

One thing that might help is to add links in the wiki pointing to the
host webpage in cases where the host information is complete.  That
will help folks to see information that is really missing or most
helpful to provide.

One gap in the current host website is with regards to ATMs.  I find
the ATM information quite useful as I prefer to get foreign currency
when I arrive versus at the airport when I am leaving.  I also do not
like to carry a lot of cash, thus I use my ATM card.  Having lost my
wallet at the beginning of the meeting in Beijing, I can tell you that
it's very stressful to go through a meeting without cash.  The only
info on the host website under the currency link is the exchange rate
and banking hours.

Mary.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Ole Jacobsen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Mary,
>
> Based on the 74 IETF meetings I have attended, let me observe that:
>
> * The secretariat does a good job of providing the basic info
>
> * The host (more recently) does a good job of providing additional
>  info
>
> * The community, via the wiki, takes care of the rest
>
> I don't think we need to change this basic model. The host stuff is
> already the result of "look at what the previous host did" and
> discussions with Ray and AMS prior to the event. We also have WEEKLY
> conference calls with the hosting team where suggestions are made for
> such things as "where to get SIM cards" for the host website. Some of
> this could indeed be pre-filled as a template, in a sense it already
> is.
>
> If something is missing/confusing, just drop a note to this list and
> chances are that either someone from the host will reply or if not we
> will find someone who can help and then someone can post the answer
> to the wiki.
>
> Ole
>
> Ole J. Jacobsen
> Editor and Publisher,  The Internet Protocol Journal
> Cisco Systems
> Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
> E-mail: [email-masked]  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
> Skype: organdemo
>

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 06:58:09 -0700

On 11/2/2011 6:01 PM, Mary Barnes wrote:
> in the wiki be pre-populated
...
> host webpage in cases where the host information is complete.
...
> One gap in the current host website is with regards to ATMs.

+1

d/
-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:18:13 -0700

Hello folks,

I agree with the suggestion from Mary as summarized by Dave.

Regards,
Charlie P.

PPS. see below...

>> One gap in the current host website is with regards to ATMs.

PS. What happens if this list remains open to posting from
     "non-members"?  Is there really a big threat of spam?
     I'm just asking because I have 5 email accounts and
     sometimes I forget which one is which for the purposes
     of posting to mailing lists like this one.

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:00:00 -0700

Hello folks,

I agree with this suggestion.

Regards,
Charlie P.