Subject: [82attendees] Old dollar bill not recognized at airport

From: Humberto Galiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:32:08 +0800

Hi folks,

There is something that I'd like to ask for those who lives in USA:
the one hundred dollar bill of 1981 is still valid?
I'm quite surprised because I tried to exchange it at the airport, but
they refused. I almost ran out of Taiwanese money :(

So, I tried to get some information googling and I've found some
divergent information.
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17412

Anyone could help me?

Thanks in advance,

Galiza

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:42:24 +0800

Assuming it's not a forgery, yes, it's legal tender in the US. That said, larger notes are sometimes not accepted because of concerns that they may be forged notes. I would presume that the exchange you used has a policy of not accepting them for that reason.

On Nov 15, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Humberto Galiza wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> 82attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/82attendees

---

From: Humberto Galiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:04:12 +0800

Thanks for the answer Fred!

I suppose that the Citibank near from here should accept it. Anyone
here has tried to exchange currency there? Any experience share?

Cheers,

Galiza

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:05:06 +0800

> they refused. I almost ran out of Taiwanese money :(

Both times I changed money, the rejected some of the 20s.  One was a manual, 
visual process and the other was by a machine.  The manual process rejected 
bills that had any writing on them or were from earlier than 2004.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking
   bbiw.net

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:13:27 -0800

it's entirely reasonable to reject old bills on the basis of their lack of
modern anti-counterfit technology. The federal reserve on whom the
obligation is drawn is unlikely to refuse it unless they can disprove it's
authenticity.

They've declined an offer to buy your dollars nothing unreasonable about
that. 

joel
-- 
Joel Jaeggli 

Network Engineering
+1.541.513.4095
[email-masked]

---

From: Manner Jukka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 09:13:54 +0000

When I looked for cash to bring to Taiwan, Forex (a Nordic currency exchange company) had on their web site in Finland, that 100 USD bills older than 2003 are not accepted. Don't know why.

Jukka

On Nov 15, 2011, at 5:05 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> Both times I changed money, the rejected some of the 20s.  One was a manual, visual process and the other was by a machine.  The manual process rejected bills that had any writing on them or were from earlier than 2004.
> 
> d/
> 
> -- 
> 
>  Dave Crocker

---

From: Dave CROCKER <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:17:24 +0800

> here has tried to exchange currency there? Any experience share?

I posted a note about them last week:  they directed me elsewhere, saying it 
would be at least 90 minutes.

HSBC, on the other hand, was pleasant and reasonably quick.

d/

-- 

   Dave Crocker

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 01:19:08 -0800

FYI - it's still valid, however...

The exchange counter in the airport talked about the difference between 
$20 bills in different serial number ranges (A, B, C, D) - where A and B 
were not accepted, but C and D were.

Inside the US, all these MUST be accepted for debts ("legal tender"), 
e.g., if you already have a debt to be settled. However, it's entirely 
possible for a merchant to accept only dollar bills with even serial 
numbers for new purchases - i.e., it's a condition of setting up the 
debt in advance.

Even in the US there are places that won't take $100 bills for new 
purchases, but if they don't mention the exclusion when you incur the 
debt, they HAVE to take it. Same goes for large bags of pennies, FWIW.

Joe

On 11/15/2011 1:05 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
> Both times I changed money, the rejected some of the 20s. One was a
> manual, visual process and the other was by a machine. The manual
> process rejected bills that had any writing on them or were from earlier
> than 2004.
>
> d/
>

---

From: Humberto Galiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:27:28 +0800

So, anyway I suppose that in last case I can do a deposit to my
citibank account. I'm gonna try something to get rid of these dollar
bills (but before someone ask, no, I won't throw it away)  :)

Thanks to all that replied.

Cheers,

Galiza
Computer B.Sc. (UFBA)

2011/11/15 Joe Touch <[email-masked]>:
> The exchange counter in the airport talked about the difference between $20
> bills in different serial number ranges (A, B, C, D) - where A and B were
> not accepted, but C and D were.
>
> Inside the US, all these MUST be accepted for debts ("legal tender"), e.g.,
> if you already have a debt to be settled. However, it's entirely possible
> for a merchant to accept only dollar bills with even serial numbers for new
> purchases - i.e., it's a condition of setting up the debt in advance.
>
> purchases, but if they don't mention the exclusion when you incur the debt,
> they HAVE to take it. Same goes for large bags of pennies, FWIW.
>
> Joe
>
>

---

From: "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Nov 2011 18:09:19 +0800

The US has never recalled or revalued its currency, so every coin and 
bill ever issued by the US government remains legal tender.

But: most of the US currency by value is $100 bills, and most of the $100 
bills are outside the US, widely used as a store of value in countries 
where residents don't trust the local currency.  Not surprisingly, there 
are also a lot of counterfeit $100 bills in circulation, particularly of 
the older series that don't have the anti-forgery features of the new 
bills produced since 1996.  (There's a new series 2010 bill that hasn't 
been released yet because the anti-forgery features are so complex that 
they can't reliably print the bills!)

The bank is refusing your $100 because they think they think it may be 
counterfeit, or at least they're unable to persuade themselves that it's 
not.  I suspect all the banks in Taiwan have similar rules.  Joe's point 
about legal tender is irrelevant, since nobody has to accept a counterfeit 
bill.

Assuming your bill actually isn't counterfeit, perhaps one of the 
Americans at the conference would be willing to swap it for five $20s 
which are easier to negotiate here.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. http://jl.ly

---

From: Humberto Galiza <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 15:03:12 +0800

Hi there,

I tried to: exchange my money again (HSBC, Citibank, Bank of Taiwan)
and got no sucess (same argument, too old); deposit in bank account
and got no success (am I on top of a wave of bad lucky??? Probably..)

My gateway of last resort: is there anyone here that wants to swap
money with me (old dolar x new dolar)? If so, please contact me in
pvt.

Regards,

Humberto Galiza

2011/11/15 John R. Levine <[email-masked]>:
> The US has never recalled or revalued its currency, so every coin and bill
> ever issued by the US government remains legal tender.
>
> bills are outside the US, widely used as a store of value in countries where
> residents don't trust the local currency.  Not surprisingly, there are also
> a lot of counterfeit $100 bills in circulation, particularly of the older
> series that don't have the anti-forgery features of the new bills produced
> since 1996.  (There's a new series 2010 bill that hasn't been released yet
> because the anti-forgery features are so complex that they can't reliably
> print the bills!)
>
> Assuming your bill actually isn't counterfeit, perhaps one of the Americans
> at the conference would be willing to swap it for five $20s which are easier
> to negotiate here.
>
> Regards,

---

From: Nat Sakimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 08:47:37 +0800

John is right about counterfeit bill.
In addition, anybody outside of the US does not have to accept US
dollar bill even if it is a real one.
It is a legal tender in the US but is not outside.
The US law does not extend beyond its border.

Nat Sakimura

On 2011/11/15, at 18:09, "John R. Levine" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The US has never recalled or revalued its currency, so every coin and bill ever issued by the US government remains legal tender.
>
> But: most of the US currency by value is $100 bills, and most of the $100 bills are outside the US, widely used as a store of value in countries where residents don't trust the local currency.  Not surprisingly, there are also a lot of counterfeit $100 bills in circulation, particularly of the older series that don't have the anti-forgery features of the new bills produced since 1996.  (There's a new series 2010 bill that hasn't been released yet because the anti-forgery features are so complex that they can't reliably print the bills!)
>
> The bank is refusing your $100 because they think they think it may be counterfeit, or at least they're unable to persuade themselves that it's not.  I suspect all the banks in Taiwan have similar rules.  Joe's point about legal tender is irrelevant, since nobody has to accept a counterfeit bill.
>
> Assuming your bill actually isn't counterfeit, perhaps one of the Americans at the conference would be willing to swap it for five $20s which are easier to negotiate here.
>
> Regards,