Subject: [88attendees] transit tickets, from 84 attendees

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:54:17 -0400

John Levine wrote this up, and I used it last time:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/84attendees/current/msg00076.html
(oh, and I did it with a 7 year old last year)

From: "John R Levine" <johnl at taugh.com>
To: 84attendees at ietf.org
Date: 26 Jul 2012 18:40:55 -0400
List-id: IETF 84 attendees mailing list <84attendees.ietf.org>
Tickets are sold from vending machines, which accept credit cards, at the
train platform.  It's a proof-of-payment system.

Helpful tip for cheapskates (and those not wrangling small children):

The fare from the machine on the platform is $8.75 during the week, $7.50
after 18:30 and on weekends. The former is a two zone ticket, the latter is a
one zone ticket which is good throughout the system nights and weekends. Both
include a $5 tourist tax.

The Pharmasave on level 1 and the 7-11 on level 2 sell books of ten tickets,
$21 for ten one zone tickets or $31.50 for ten two zone tickets. You can use
a one zone ticket to travel two zones, i.e., into the city during the day, by
buying a $1.25 add-fare from the machine. Be sure to stamp your ticket in one
of the blue validator machines before boarding the train.

The $5 tourist tax does *not* apply to tickets from ticket books, because
what tourist would know to get a ticket book, eh? Tickets are transferrable,
so if several people arrive at once, you can share a ticket book.

Trips around downtown are all one zone fares, so if you plan to travel around
during the week, buy a book of one-zone tickets and get an add-fare if needed
for the trip from the airport. Remember to save a ticket for the trip back to
the airport, and if needed buy an add-fare for that trip, too.

If you return from the Vancouver City Centre station, there are supposed to
be check-in kiosks so you can get your boarding pass before taking the train.

R's,
John

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 02:11:30 +0100

> (oh, and I did it with a 7 year old last year)

Yes, but what happens if you do it with a 7 year old ticket?

(Well, the one I have from IETF84 isn’t quite 7 years old yet.)

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:24:46 -0400 (EDT)

> (oh, and I did it with a 7 year old last year)

Thanks.  If you have tickets left, they should still be good.  Translink 
is switching from paper tickets to stored value cards and their web site 
says the tickets will stop working in early 2014, so use them up now.

Someone was asking whether you have to pay the $5 airport surcharge if you 
have a one-zone paper ticket and need to upgrade it to two zones to get 
from the airport to downtown.  I poked around on the Translink web site 
and the answer is no, you just pay the usual $1.25 upgrade.  What a deal.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 20:28:55 -0500

On Oct 29, 2013, at 8:24 PM, John R Levine <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Someone was asking whether you have to pay the $5 airport surcharge if you have a one-zone paper ticket and need to upgrade it to two zones to get from the airport to downtown.  I poked around on the Translink web site and the answer is no, you just pay the usual $1.25 upgrade.  What a deal.

Do I read correctly that you don't even need the upgrade on nights and weekends? I imagine most of us will come in on the weekend, and many will depart on the following one.

Thanks!

Ben.

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 21:31:39 -0400 (EDT)

> Do I read correctly that you don't even need the upgrade on nights and 
> weekends? I imagine most of us will come in on the weekend, and many 
> will depart on the following one.

Yes.  Weekdays after 18:30 and all day weekends, a one zone ticket is good 
throughout the system.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Single-Fares.aspx

Regards,