Subject: [88attendees] RIPE Atlas probes at IETF 88

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:48:44 +0100

If you don't know the RIPE Atlas probes, they are small boxes that you
connect to the network and which performs active measurements
<https://atlas.probe.net/>. The great things about these probes is
that you can run your very own measurements
<https://atlas.ripe.net/doc/udm>, leading to interesting/funny papers
like
<https://labs.ripe.net/Members/stephane_bortzmeyer/all-ip-addresses-are-equal-dot-zero-addresses-are-less-equal>.

More Atlas probes are always good, specially outside of Europe, where
the majority currently works. To help the distribution of probes,
there are people ("ambassadors") at many meetings, carrying Atlas
probes to distribute. In Vancouver, I'll be one of them.

If you are interested to host an Atlas probe to help mankind and the
Internet, please:

* check that you can host a probe: you need power-over-USB and
Ethernet cabling and IP addresses (RFC 1918 are OK) and to take care
of the box (some probes have been installed by forgotten and no longer
respond, which is sad). Check also if there is sufficient coverage or
not in your country/AS
<https://atlas.ripe.net/results/maps/network-coverage/>

* send me (or another ambassador) an email so that I know how many
probes to bring in sunny Bristih Columbia

Happy networking!

---

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:54:30 +0100

Very good idea Stephane!

If there is excess demand I can bring up to 9 probes as well.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 88attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/88attendees

-- 
SY, Jen Linkova aka Furry

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:20:49 +0100

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 04:54:30PM +0100,
 Jen Linkova <[email-masked]> wrote 

> If there is excess demand I can bring up to 9 probes as well.

That will probably be needed. I already have enough demands for my
first batch of probes.

---

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:39:24 +0100

> That will probably be needed. I already have enough demands for my

Ack,  packing all 9 probes I have.

---

From: Peter Koch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 17:50:53 +0100

> If you are interested to host an Atlas probe to help mankind and the

thanks, Stephane, for raising this!

> probes to bring in sunny Bristih Columbia

we also still have some atlas v2 probes to distribute. Pls let me
know if you're interested.

-Peter

---

From: Mirjam Kuehne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 23:56:34 +0100

Thanks, Stephane! I'll also bring a box of RIPE Atlas probes to Vancouver.

Regards,
Mirjam
RIPE NCC

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:14:51 +0100

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 04:48:44PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> <https://atlas.probe.net/>. 

I'm stupid, it should be <https://atlas.ripe.net/>. Sorry.

By the way, do not write to me any longer, there are already more
requests than I have probes. Ask another ambassador, please.

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:52:46 -0400

Since Stephane's supply is already spoken for, if another ambassador can
bring one for me, that would be great.

  Bill

-- 
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:57:03 -0400

> bring one for me, that would be great.

I suppose it would be futile to suggest that this be handled in some way other than that each person who wants one broadcast their messages on the 88attendees list...

---

From: Jen Linkova <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:03:43 +0100

> I suppose it would be futile to suggest that this be handled in some way other than that each person who wants one broadcast their messages on the 88attendees list...

Totally agree, email does not scale well enough.
Shall we use IETF88 wiki to coordinate Atlas probes supply/demand?

---

From: Amy Vezza <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:08:15 -0400

I have created a page on the IETF88 Meeting Wiki for the RIPE Atlas Probes (under Miscellaneous Information):

https://www.ietf.org/registration/MeetingWiki/wiki/ripe_atlas_probes

Please use this page for coordination.