Subject: [88attendees] Hiking

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:49:05 +0200

All,

What is hiking like around Vancouver in November? Wet and chilly as I
expect? Any suggestions of hiking trails given the expected weather?

Last time we went to Stawamus Chief and it was a little bit too extreme
for us. So now I'm looking for a trail with less climing and more walking.

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Xiaohong Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:51:00 +0800

> for us. So now I'm looking for a trail with less climing and more walking.

Genius! :)

-Xiaohong

>
> Thanks,
> Simon
> _______________________________________________
> 88attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/88attendees
>

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:02:18 +0200

Simon,

I was just looking at that.
http://www.vancouvertrails.com/
Good list of trails
     http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/
     http://www.vancouvertrails.com/regions/

Same question regarding the weather.

Did the Stawamus Chief last time too.

Regards, Benoit

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:06:07 +0200

On 10.10.2013 11:51, Xiaohong Deng wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Simon Perreault
> <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
Strawamus Chief was awesome. I'm sure this one will be too.

According to historical data, it is likely to be between 0 and 7C in
Vancouver. On the other hand, Whistler experienced between 150cm to
whopping 560cm in previous Novembers. Hiking on snow is fun if the snow
is not too deep. On the other hand, it requires a bit better gear, so
folks don't get cold or wet.

Whatever the choice will be, sign me up!

Tomek

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 06:25:54 -0400

> for us. So now I'm looking for a trail with less climing and more walking.

There are lots of parks closer to town, including Stanley Park, which is about a mile from the hotel.   If you just want a walk with some nice sea views and pretty trees, Stanley Park ought to fit the bill.  If you want a little climbing, there is a park right across Lion's Gate called Cypress Park, which looks very hikeable.

I have not hiked it, though, so maybe it's actually really awful and boring... :)

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:40:50 +0200

On 10.10.2013 12:25, Ted Lemon wrote:
> There are lots of parks closer to town, including Stanley Park, which
> is about a mile from the hotel.  
Yes. Beautiful place, but it's a bit like an urban park. Flat, ashpalt
walkways are very common (I haven't circled the whole park, just a
couple kilometers closest to the previous hotel). That part of the park
was an excellent place for a walk or a morning jogging. The totem poles
of first nations were really interesting. If you expect trails, complete
wilderness and no concrete or asphalt, you may be a bit disappointed,
though.

Tomek

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:56:21 +0800

Sent from my iPad

> is not too deep. On the other hand, it requires a bit better gear, so

Or skiing would be fun too as I talked to Simon. But not sure if it is too early for skiing.

> Whatever the choice will be, sign me up!

You are on the list after me. I am a step earlier. :)

---

From: Paul M <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:57:10 +0300

Stanley Park is nice but would prefer a doable 'Wilderness' terrain without
the hassle of carrying gear.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM, Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]
> wrote:

-- 
:-) Paul M

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 07:56:54 -0700

last time in vancouver I did this:
http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/capilano-pacific-trail/

for the most part its a nice long walk in the woods along interesting
gorges and terminating at a pretty cool dam and water supply:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8g97q89gNZw/UBxVJn9nzsI/AAAAAAAAFUc/Hi6jIhWoVAg/w896-h673-no/IMG_20120803_115959.jpg

not strenuous and at low elevation :)

-P

---

From: "Marc Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:02:50 -0700

Pacific Spirit Park http://goo.gl/maps/rybCF has many low effort trails -
the terrain is not challenging.  But it is an urban park, so the trails are
well groomed - although none are asphalted to my knowledge.

Marc

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Patrick McManus
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 7:57 AM
To: Simon Perreault
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [88attendees] Hiking

for the most part its a nice long walk in the woods along interesting gorges
and terminating at a pretty cool dam and water supply: 

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8g97q89gNZw/UBxVJn9nzsI/AAAAAAAAFUc/Hi6jI
hWoVAg/w896-h673-no/IMG_20120803_115959.jpg

-P

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Simon Perreault
<[email-masked]> wrote:

All,

Thanks,
Simon

---

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:04:18 +0200

Here is what a local told me about the weather conditions:

 > November is, unfortunately, the rainiest month here. You can expect
 > clouds every day with a constant drizzle. It never rains hard here,
 > just a constant annoying mist.
 >
 > Temperatures range from 0-10 degrees (Celsius).

Regards,

Ludwig

-- 
Ludwig Seitz, PhD
SICS Swedish ICT AB
Ideon Science Park
Building Beta 2
Scheelevägen 17
SE-223 70 Lund

Phone +46(0)70-349 92 51
http://www.sics.se

---

From: Tomek Mrugalski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:16:23 +0200

> http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/capilano-pacific-trail/
Is the Capilano suspension bridge part of that trail?

The photos look quite impressive:
https://www.google.com/search?q=capilano+bridge&tbm=isch

> not strenuous and at low elevation :)
Definitely looks interesting. Thanks for the pointers.

I'm wondering how muddy the trails will be in early November. Should I
bring in hiking shoes or a kayak? :)

Tomek

---

From: Patrick McManus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 12:37:53 -0700

> Is the Capilano suspension bridge part of that trail?

iirc the bridge was some kind of admission-required thing that you do
indeed pass along the way. I walked up one side of the river, across the
dam, and back on the other side.

---

From: John R Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 16:01:13 -0400 (EDT)

>> Is the Capilano suspension bridge part of that trail?

No, you definitely have to pay, and the tickets are quite pricey.  It's 
pretty cool, though, even though they don't let you jump up and down in 
the middle any more.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
"I dropped the toothpaste", said Tom, crestfallenly.

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 20:05:26 +0000

Hello folks,

You guys are going to Vancouver for work, or what :-)?

Regards,

Behcet

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John R Levine
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:01 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [88attendees] [johnlevine.com-ietf] Re: Hiking

Regards,

---

From: "Marc Erickson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 13:18:42 -0700

Tomek, you will need shoes that can handle mud and water as well as
rainwear.  Vancouver is in a temperate rain forest and it gets wetter as one
gets closer to the North Shore mountains on the north side of Vancouver
harbour - and all of the interesting hiking trails nearby are on those
mountains.  November is during our rainy season.

The Capilano Suspension Bridge is a privately owned and very massaged
tourist attraction.  For a similar bridge that is free, and without the
glitz and schlock, visit the Lynn Canyon suspension bridge which is located
in a public park.  

It is easily accessible by transit by catching the #210 from Bay 2 at
Burrard Station
(http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Documents/schedules_and_maps/stn_exch/Burra
rd.ashx
 or 
http://is.gd/Fosdrp
 - the conference hotel is above the Royal Centre on the map) and then
transferring to the #229 at Phibbs Exchange.  The drivers will assist you
with where to get off if you ask.  Keep the ticket you get from the machine
- it's good for 90 minutes of travel on the transit system after it is
issued (an additional fare may be required, depending on where you are
travelling). The transit trip planner is much better than Google's and is
here: 
http://www.translink.ca/

The fare to North Vancouver is $4 Canadian and the machines on buses only
accept coins - but we have $1 and $2 coins.  Ticket machines in Skytrain and
Seabus stations take coins, bills, credit cards, and Canadian bank debit
cards - I'm unsure if they take Visa debit cards.  If you will be using
transit a lot during your stay here, a money saving option is to buy a book
of single zone FareSaver tickets - 10 are included for $21, a 24% saving.
Cash/debit/credit can be added at a Skytrain/Seabus machine (cash only on a
bus) if your travel is over two or three zones.  There is a FareDealer
selling FareSavers in the Royal Centre underground mall that the conference
hotel is above, and other locations can be found here:
http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Where-to-buy-FareDealer.aspx
 or:
http://is.gd/LCrZ7B

A DayPass valid for travel for the entire day is available from Skytrain or
Seabus ticket machines or from FareDealers - the cost is $9.75.

When on the 210, observe as the coach travels over the Ironworkers' Memorial
Second Narrows Crossing (AKA the Second Narrows bridge).  It is so named
because it collapsed during construction in 1958 due to a miscalculation by
the bridge engineers.  19 workers died as a result and it was the largest
industrial accident in BC history.

For a different route returning from Lynn Canyon, take the #229 to the
Seabus terminal in North Vancouver - then take the Seabus (passenger and
bicycle only ferry) for a 13 minute ride to downtown Vancouver across the
busiest harbour on the west coast of the Americas. Vancouver is the largest
port in Canada 
(http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/CANADA%20PORT%20RANKING%202011.pdf),
the second largest in North America by tonnage after New York/New Jersey,
and the third largest in North America by container units after Los Angeles
and New York/New Jersey 
(http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/WORLD%20PORT%20RANKINGS%202011.pdf).

Once at Waterfront Station (the former CPR station and the terminus of the
first cross-Canada railroad), one can either take the Skytrain (at this
location it's underground) to Burrard Station (one stop), or one can walk.
It's about a ten minute walk.  If walking, go by the Marine Building at 355
Burrard, a gorgeous Art Deco building that was offered to the city as its
new city hall.  
http://goo.gl/maps/QzmvX

The city declined and built a building out in the boondocks (at that time it
was) at 12th Avenue and Cambie Street that was completed a few years later -
also during the depression.  If you go by the Marine Building during
business hours, go inside and ride the elevator to the mezzanine to view the
lobby details, the beautiful parquet woodwork in the elevators and the
details in the upper reaches of the lobby.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Tomek Mrugalski
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:16 AM
To: Patrick McManus; Simon Perreault
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [88attendees] Hiking

Tomek

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Oct 2013 01:16:02 -0000

> If you will be using

For people arriving by air, they're available at the 7-11 in the
airport.  If you use a coupon from the book, you do *not* have to pay
the $5 airport surcharge for the train, although you may have to buy
an extra zone add-fare from the machine on the platform if you travel
during a weekday into downtown.

The books are good indefinitely; I still have a a few coupons left
from last year.

R's,
John

---

From: Simon Perreault <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:12:19 +0200

> You guys are going to Vancouver for work, or what :-)?

<friday>
You mean this isn't the International Engineers' Tourism Forum?
</friday>

Simon

---

From: Xiaohong Deng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 17:44:00 +0800

发自我的 iPhone

> You mean this isn't the International Engineers' Tourism Forum?

<Happy W.E>
Yes,it is.
</Happy W.E>

Xiaohong

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 11 Oct 2013 16:00:06 -0000

>You mean this isn't the International Engineers' Tourism Forum?

If you can't design protocols while rapelling down a cliff, you're not
much of an IETFer.

R's,
John

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:21:19 -0400

> If you can't design protocols while rapelling down a cliff, you're not

People who are not afraid to bang their head against a rock facade may
be particularly well suited for participation in the IETF process.

Cheers,

Curtis

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 14:27:22 -0400

> If you can't design protocols while rapelling down a cliff, you're not

I've tried reading drafts while on an exercise bicycle.   It's difficult.   No doubt rappelling is less mentally demanding, and so it wouldn't be an issue in that situation.

---

From: Paul M <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 12:42:46 +0300

lol +1

-- 
:-) Paul M