Subject: [92all] Read if you are having issues associating to an IETF wireless network SSID

From: Chris Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 02:24:42 -0500

All,

We have had some reports of attendees having issues with the new SSID
layout and, in particular, with the secure networks and Intel Centrino
wireless cards. We've identified some reasons for these issues and here's
instructions on how to resolve each issue.

Secure networks:

 * If you've used the IETF networks in the past, please delete your
wireless config if they are not working. Windows 7, in particular, will not
allow you to associate to a secure network that used to be open, and does
not present you with an option to change the configuration. That seems a
bit backward to me, but it's what it is.

 * If you need to define the authentication and encryption type for our
secure networks, be sure to select WPA or WPA2 enterprise with 802.1X. Do
not choose 802.1X by itself--that configuration option is for wired ports,
and we do not authenticate or encrypt wired connections and it will not
work with wireless networks.

Intel Centrino wireless cards:

 * If you have an Intel Centrino wireless card, you may have issues
connecting to all IETF networks except for ietf-hotel. Upgrading your
driver to the latest from the Intel website (not Windows update) may
resolve your problem. Linux drivers for some models of these cards have
been updated (look for drivers updated since the last IETF meeting (first
week of November), but we don't know if these drivers fix this problem or
not. Please let us know if you use them what your experience was.

 * Another way to resolve this problem may be to disable WMM and the
802.11n speeds on your wireless card's configuration.

 * If you cannot get your Intel Centrino wireless card working, please
consider using a USB wireless adapter. A few of these adapters may be
available at the help desk.

Feel free to come by the help desk in the terminal room if you continue to
have issues.

Enjoy, and have a great IETF!
Chris.

-- 
Chris Elliott
[email-masked]

"What the f*ck is a sesame? It's a street...it's a way to open sh*t!"
--Mitch Hedberg

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 03:07:30 +1300

On 23/03/2015 20:24, Chris Elliott wrote:
...
> bit backward to me, but it's what it is.

Windows 7 prompted me for the login but told me to go away when I entered the
correct user name/password. I accidentally found a work-around for that, by
entering an invalid user name/password (IETF/IETF) and then trying again with
the correct ones. YMMV.

    Brian

   Brian