Subject: [95attendees] robbery incident

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:13:38 -0300

I am sorry that I have to report (no details yet) of a robbery of two IETF participants.

Take care as you move about in the streets. Consider taxis, moving in a bigger group, etc.

Jari

---

From: Nabeel Cocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:15:54 -0300

Where was this and at what time?

Regards,
Nabeel

> On Apr 7, 2016, at 12:13 AM, Jari Arkko <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 95attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/95attendees

---

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:22:58 -0300

Sorry, I have no further information, but I will get more tomorrow.

But in any case, general safety advice probably applies: taxis are (mostly) safer than walking; day is safer than night; many people around is safer than empty streets; going in a group is safer than alone; looking less foreign/rich is good; etc.

Jari

---

From: "Toerless Eckert (eckert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 03:48:00 +0000

1. I hope a) nobody was hurt, b) no irreplaceables where stolen c) the
police could communicate with the IETF¹ler.
2. On top of Jaris recommendations: Carry nothing irreplaceable, don¹t try
to resist, have an amount of money on you that makes the robber happy
enough so he doesn¹t want to start hurting you.
3. And for the extra serving of cynicism: The tourist guides here are
telling us BA aspires to be like a european city. Mission accomplished!

On 4/7/16, 12:22 AM, "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>But in any case, general safety advice probably applies: taxis are
>(mostly) safer than walking; day is safer than night; many people around
>is safer than empty streets; going in a group is safer than alone;
>looking less foreign/rich is good; etc.
>
>Jari
>

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 08:03:43 -0300

> I am sorry that I have to report (no details yet) of a robbery of two IETF participants.

:(

> Take care as you move about in the streets. Consider taxis, moving in a bigger group, etc.

On that note, I'm planning on going on a bird-watching walk around the
nature reserve to the east of the Hilton some time today.   If anyone
else would like to do the same, but didn't want to risk doing it alone,
please let me know.

Ray

---

From: "Huangyihong (Rachel)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 13:04:02 +0000

I'm not sure, but I've heard that's the exact place where the robbery took place. So be careful.

BR,
Rachel

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: 95attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Ray Bellis
发送时间: 2016年4月7日 19:04
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [95attendees] robbery incident

:(

On that note, I'm planning on going on a bird-watching walk around the
nature reserve to the east of the Hilton some time today.   If anyone
else would like to do the same, but didn't want to risk doing it alone, please let me know.

Ray

---

From: Diego Garcia del Rio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 14:45:06 -0300

I would avoid the nature reserve area to be honest. The entrance on the
south is close to a shanty town... so watch out. The reserve is usually
very empty so while little risk of pick-pockets, its not the ideal place to
be walking by yourself.

---

From: Ray Bellis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:07:33 -0300

On 07/04/2016 14:45, Diego Garcia del Rio wrote:
> very empty so while little risk of pick-pockets, its not the ideal place
> to be walking by yourself.

I went, accompanied by another attendee.

It was quite pleasant, and actually didn't feel dangerous at all.  There
were plenty of joggers.

It's a pretty long walk, though!

Ray

---

From: "McCall, Bede B." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 14:17:51 -0400

My experience,too (on both counts).  Nice weather today, many noontime 
joggers, a sprinkling of people with small children, etc. Looks like a 
situation where "YMMV" applies.

--Bede

---

From: Diego Garcia del Rio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:35:19 -0300

Im glad you had a good time. :)  My experience for the area was from a few
years ago where the area was less populated...