Subject: [96attendees] schönfeld (SFX)

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:01:45 +0200

i got a good price flying Аэрофлот so went NRT-SVO-SFX.  lemme tell you,
schöfeld is way out in the boonies.  and the train to town, at least at
the hour in the evening i arrived, is once an hour.  taxi is about €45.

randy

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:18:51 +0200

Randy Bush wrote:
> way out in the boonies

Distance from Schönefeld to Berlin: 18 km

compare with
Distance from Dulles Airport to Washington DC: 42 km
Distance from Munich Airport to Munich: 28.5 km

But of course you have to go all the way from the far southeast of
Berlin to the west city where the IETF meeting is.  The trains are quite
reasonable, even if not very frequent (S-bahn every 20 minutes during
the day -- need to change on the way, Regionalbahn RE7/RB14 that goes
right to Zoologischer Garten (City West) twice an hour for about 35-40
minutes).

Tegel (TXL) is the preferred airport for flying into Berlin.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 10:28:29 +0200

> Distance from Munich Airport to Munich: 28.5 km

and the distance from dulles airport to the berlin intercontinental
about 6,800km.

> Tegel (TXL) is the preferred airport for flying into Berlin.

i sure wish you had told that to Аэрофлот before they flew me to
schönfeld.

my deep apologies for trying to tell folk how to deal if landing at
SFX.  i promise not to be so rude again.

randy

---

From: Долматов Василий Вадимович <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:05:56 +0000

Latest SU flight arrives 21:20 to SXF

RE at 22:44 seems quite suitable

dol@

> 12 июля 2016 г., в 11:01, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> написал(а):
> 
> _______________________________________________
> 96attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/96attendees

---

From: Daniel-Constantin Mierla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:21:07 +0200

> SFX.  i promise not to be so rude again.
For who cares to get a bit more historical details: Aeroflot (Russian
national airline) continued flying into SXF (which is the airport of
former DDR/East Berlin) even after the Berlin wall was down. SXF
terminals are rather small, under dimensioned, used mainly by discount
airlines. TXL is the airport of former West Berlin and the main one at
this moment, but is scheduled to be shut down once the BER/BBI
(Berlin-Brandenburg International) will be open (if ever -- was supposed
to be ready several years ago). TXL is inside the city (given that West
Berlin was an island inside the DDR), thus very convenient to travel
to/from, specially from west side of Berlin (where IETF86 takes place --
if flying in from Schengen country (no passport control) with hand bag
only, could be 30min from plane door to hotel check-in desk using public
transport, bus X9). BER/BBI is actually next to SXF, the new BER/BBI
terminal is across the landing strip of the current SXF terminal.
Supposedly, there will be a new train station at BER/BBI terminal with
more convenient connections to the city.

Anyhow, what I wanted to add as useful information for some coming first
time in Berlin: if you come in SXF and use S-Bahn (S9 or S45) or buses
for that matter, you must buy BVG or VBB (public transport company in
Berlin/Brandenburg) ticket for zones ABC (price should be like
3.30Euro). SXF is the first (or second) stop out of Berlin AB zone and I
encountered quite often BVG controllers in the trains around there --
easy to catch people (tourists) that typically buy ticket for Berlin AB.
Also, note that you have to walk outside about 4-500m from the terminal
to the S-Bahn (and train) station, there are good signs around, just
don't be surprised the station is not under the terminal as in most of
the big airports connected by train.

Then very important: just buying BVG ticket from vending machines is not
enough, you have to stamp it before getting into the train. There are
stamping devices on small poles on the platforms or next to where you
get the ticket -- some pictures to be able to identify theme:

   -
http://vintage.johnnyjet.com/photos/Germany-ITB-Travel-Conference-2010-61.JPG
   -
http://www.vbb.de/en/article/tickets-and-fares/ticket-fares/ticket-fares/5649.html

>From the moment you stamped the ticket, it is valid for two hours. You
can change from s-bahn to underground/metro, tram or bus as you wish
during these two hours.

And as a side note: the airport code is SXF, not SFX (as in subject or
content of previous messages) -- I expect it was a fast typing typo, but
just in case someone else searches for the code of the airport.

Enjoy Berlin,
Daniel

-- 
Daniel-Constantin Mierla - http://www.asipto.com
http://twitter.com/#!/miconda - http://www.linkedin.com/in/miconda

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:30:27 +0200

> Latest SU flight arrives 21:20 to SXF

well, last evening it landed at 21:50 :)

btw, SVO has modernized.  i do miss the classic decor in the plane.  now
SU is just another H&M airline.

randy

---

From: Jens Link <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:37:27 +0200

> can change from s-bahn to underground/metro, tram or bus as you wish

But only in on direction. So if you go from Zoo to Alexanderplatz you
can't use the ticket for the way back even if you are in the two hour
limit. 

Jens
-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Foelderichstr. 40   | 13595 Berlin, Germany           | +49-151-18721264 |
| http://blog.quux.de | jabber: [email-masked]        | ---------------  | 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Долматов Василий Вадимович <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:39:49 +0000

dol@

> 12 июля 2016 г., в 12:30, Randy Bush <[email-masked]> написал(а):
> 
still in the timeframe for RE, next options become S-bahn 23:03 with change to night bus M45

> btw, SVO has modernized.
Old terminal is still there and now known as «Terminal F».
There are new D and E which gets most of the flights now.
>  i do miss the classic decor in the plane.  
do you mean that unevenly distributed spots on the plastic? ;)

> now

---

From: Daniel-Constantin Mierla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:41:42 +0200

> can't use the ticket for the way back even if you are in the two hour
Right -- good amendment to know for the general use of BVG -- I had in
mind only the travel from SXF to IETF96 location.

Daniel

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:45:50 +0000

Hi,

It is possible to tour the new who-knows-when-and-if-it-will-ever-open
Brandenburg airport.

www.berlin-airport.de/en/ber/the-excitement-of-airports/airport-tour/index.
php

Regards,

Christer

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 12:43:01 -0700

I love Tegel. It's like arriving in a time machine in the mid 1970'es
when West Berlin had settled as "small town" island surrounded by
enemy territory. A little bit futuristic too given how built had started
in the 60th, but of course lovingly dull compared to eg: Paris Terminal 1
from the same vintage.

Hate the idea of another anonymous airport replacing Tegel.
And if i am not mistaken, unlike CDG Terminal 1 which i think is
put under historic protection, Tegel is meant to be torn down and space
reused - there was some poster i saw on the bus route that they'd 
started community outreach to build out plans for that reuse.

Cheers
    Toerlesss

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 11:21:07AM +0200, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
> > i sure wish you had told that to ???????????????? before they flew me to
> > schönfeld.
> >

-- 
---
Toerless Eckert, [email-masked]

---

From: Thomas Scheffler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 21:56:50 +0200

The Terminal building is going to survive.
It is supposed to transform into some kind of science park.

Our University has already been allocated some gates to
extend our campus. However, the poor professors sit on their
packed suitcases since 2012 and can not move in, because
the 'new' airport is not finished yet.

There is a event planned for Saturday to discuss the plans
for further use of the airport area. Feel free to visit: http://www.berlintxl.de

Thomas

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 12 Jul 2016 20:09:21 -0000

>when West Berlin had settled as "small town" island ...

Indeed, I like it too, but I think a lot of people would love even
more to be able to fly to Berlin directly from North America and Asia
without changing in Frankfurt.

>reused - ...

Berlin's historic airport was Tempelhof, with a huge canopy that
overhangs the ramp.  It shut down in 2008.  It is now a park, and its
terminal is (temporarily?) used to house refugees.

R's,
John

---

From: Matthias Waehlisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 23:38:02 +0200

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, [email-masked] wrote:

> Indeed, I like it too, 
  Tegel is highly efficient because it's decentralized.

> but I think a lot of people would love even more to be able to fly to 
> Berlin directly from North America and Asia without changing in 
> Frankfurt.
> 
  At least, New York/JFK,Newark (Air Berlin, Lufthansa, United 
Airlines), Chicago (Air Berlin), Miami (Air Berlin), and Peking (Hainan 
Airlines)

Cheers
  matthias

---

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:16:56 -0700

Ah, great to hear i was wrong. COnverted old airport
buildings can be real cool offices. As an example, go to the
old airport building in Oslo which is now an office park.

Cheeer
    Toerless

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 07:56:23 +0200

> without changing in Frankfurt.

You mean like UA 962 (to) and UA 963 (fro)?

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:07:21 +0200 (CEST)

> You mean like UA 962 (to) and UA 963 (fro)?

There is also AB7248 (JFK) and HU490 (Beijing).

But yes, compared to the intercontinental flights coming into DUS and FRA, 
this is of course very few.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]