Subject: [96attendees] DIN offices close to the meeting venue

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:57:15 +0200

Hi,

I was happy to walk by DIN building at the DIN Plaza, near the meeting 
venue.

Among others, the DIN 21 number, aka ASA 100 or now ISO 100 - is a 
sensitivity sure to produce clean images.

I wonder what are the two persons represented by statues at its entrance 
known for?

Yours,

-- 
Alexandre Petrescu,
Ingénieur Chercheur, AS,
CEA-SAC/DRT/LIST/DIASI/LSC,
[email-masked], tél 0169089223.

---

From: Oleg Hahm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:05:54 +0200

Hi Alexandre,

> I wonder what are the two persons represented by statues at its entrance

I guess you're talking about these statues:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Humboldt_W,_Beuth,_DIN_Berlin.jpg

The persons are Wilhelm von Humboldt [1], a famous German linguist and
philosopher and older brother of Alexander von Humboldt and Christian Peter
Wilhelm Beuth [2], a Prussian statesman.

Cheers,
Oleg

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_von_Humboldt
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Peter_Wilhelm_Beuth

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:06:48 +0000

Hi,

according to wikipedia the guys are Peter Wilhelm Beuth and Wilhelm von Humboldt.

Regards

Nic

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: 96attendees [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Alexandre PETRESCU
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2016 10:57
An: [email-masked]
Betreff: [96attendees] DIN offices close to the meeting venue

Hi,

I was happy to walk by DIN building at the DIN Plaza, near the meeting venue.

Among others, the DIN 21 number, aka ASA 100 or now ISO 100 - is a sensitivity sure to produce clean images.

I wonder what are the two persons represented by statues at its entrance known for?

Yours,

---

From: Alexandre PETRESCU <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:21:04 +0200

Yes but what are they known for, and why standards...

Alexandre Petrescu,
Ingénieur Chercheur, AS,

---

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:42:56 +0200

> Yes but what are they known for, and why standards...

Apart from being responsible for the organization of the prussian
educational system and being a diplomat, humbolt was highly involved in
laying down the rules of modern lingustics.

> _______________________________________________
> 96attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/96attendees
>

---

From: Oleg Hahm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:44:09 +0200

Hi!

> Yes but what are they known for, and why standards...

From Wikipedia:
"Humboldt installed a standardized system of public instruction, from basic
schools till secondary education, and founded Berlin University. He imposed a
standardization of state examinations and inspections and created a special
department within the ministry to oversee and design curricula, textbooks and
learning aids"

AFAIK Beuth was not directly involved in standardization, but technology
transfer.

Cheers,
Oleg

---

From: Martine Lenders <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 11:53:12 +0200

Hi,

> AFAIK Beuth was not directly involved in standardization, but technology

And the publishing company that publishes the DIN/ISO standards (and
daughter company of the DIN e.V.) carries his name ;-) [1].

[1] https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beuth_Verlag (sorry no english version :-/)