Subject: [96attendees] Chairs: Jabber scribes in large meetings

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:31:01 +0200

Just a note after the QuiC meeting:

For meetings in a large rooms with multiple microphones - please appoint multiple Jabber Scribes. It’s impossible
to track multiple microphones from one seat when the meeting heats up.

RFC 7649 says:
      "If the session is large or is expected to be especially active
      (e.g., a controversial BoF), find a co-scribe who can help you by
      sitting at another microphone, taking turns relaying information,
      etc.”

Yes, this lets the scribe solve the problem - but chairs are allowed to help too :-)

Thanks,
/O

---

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 19:43:51 +0200 (CEST)

> to track multiple microphones from one seat when the meeting heats up.

I totally agree.

In a session yesterday I went to the mic to ask people to use the front 
microphone. Even after that, 80% of people went to the back microphone and 
I had to run back and forth to look at name badges.

I would like to request that the number of microphones are limited to 2-3 
for large rooms, and 1 for medium and small rooms.

Having a microphone 6 meters behind the other microphone isn't really 
helping a lot, most people have no problem transporting themselves this 
distance to go to the mic.

It might be good to have a backup mic standing somewhere in the back 
(that's what I did, in the last session this afternoon I just moved the 
rear mic to the wall so people didn't use it). In case the front mic isn't 
working, the backup mic can be moved and replace the primary mic.

I really really like that I have the ability to log into the meetecho room 
in my browser, start doing my jabber scribe work without fuss. Now we have 
a record of audio+video+presentation+names of people talking (that last 
part is done by me as jabber scribe). Excellent if the minute takers need 
to figure out who does what.

But this only works if I can actually see the name tags.

Getting people to speak their name so well that the minute taker and 
scribe can properly document it is a lot harder than making sure that 
people line up so that the jabber scribe can read the name tag.

Well, that of course means people need to wear their name tags so the 
jabber scribe can read it easily. This is surprisingly often not the case, 
either they don't wear it at all, or it's sitting on the left arm (and I'm 
on their right side), or they put some piece of paper obscuring one side 
of the badge, and that side is the side facing forward.

I hate having to have to tell people to wear their badges so I can see 
them, but I typically have to do this multiple times per session.

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]