Subject: [96attendees] Mysterious blue boxes

From: "Marco Davids (SIDN)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:25:14 +0200

Anyone knows what's in these mysterious blue baskets that are fixed with
duct tape behind the chairs here and there?

-- 
Marco

---

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:46:36 +0200

These are (NOC run) user experience probes -- they allow us to see how the
wireless is working from the user's standpoint, and so try resolve issues
before they affect users...
>From Jims negation info email:

"Additionally, as we started experimenting with in Buenos Aires, we’ve
strategically deployed a number of user experience probes throughout the
meeting space, both from NetBeez and v6Sonar. The probes are designed to
gather throughput data "as if" they were users. They run various processes
including pings, http requests, traceroutes, and DNS queries. They collect
no data about other users, personal or otherwise. If you see these, please
don’t disturb them as they’re doing important work to help us monitor and
improve the network experience here at IETF96."

-- 
I don't think the execution is relevant when it was obviously a bad idea in
the first place.
This is like putting rabid weasels in your pants, and later expressing
regret at having chosen those particular rabid weasels and that pair of
pants.
   ---maf

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 04:47:46 -0400

Heh. I'd love it if they also periodically did a latency under load
test (try flent.org's rrul_be test).

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Warren Kumari <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> 96attendees mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/96attendees
>

-- 
Dave Täht
Let's go make home routers and wifi faster! With better software!
http://blog.cerowrt.org

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 12:58:56 +0200

> These are (NOC run) user experience probes -- they allow us to see how the wireless is working from the user's standpoint, and so try resolve issues before they affect users… 

I hope they reported that the “ietf” network was suffering badly in the Potsdam I room during this morning’s (admittedly, exceptionally large) QUIC BOF.  (The Potsdam rooms will also be used for this evening’s plenary - which should be even larger.)

	Ross.

---

From: Dave Taht <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 04:07:20 -0700

As a presenter, often I would be happier if the in-room network failed
completely. Looking out at a sea of faces heads down in their laptops
is often discouraging. I think it would be an interesting experiment,
if one day, we had a special, shielded, wifi-free and celluar-free
room to have a set of meetings in.

Instead of monitoring things via a blue box in that case, it would be
useful to invite a team of doctors in to observe the variety of
network withdrawal symptoms in the audience, as well as wire up people
to measure heart rate, blood pressure, and brainwave activity.

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:11:20 +0200

> completely.

The availability of in-room WiFi provides even more of an incentive for presenters to keep their presentations engaging, on-point, and non-boring :-)

	Ross.

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:17:06 +0000

> I hope they reported that the “ietf” network was suffering badly in the
> Potsdam I room during this morning’s (admittedly, exceptionally large) QUIC
> BOF.  (The Potsdam rooms will also be used for this evening’s plenary - which
> should be even larger.)

Yes, the NOC was pretty aware of problems and tried to keep updates posted in the quic jabber room.
	/r$, jabber scribe thereof

---

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 13:20:33 +0200

Ross,
	We did get word that there were wifi issues in that room, and took steps to mitigate (if not solve) the problem, by balancing power levels. We’re certainly looking forward to tonight’s plenary and thinking through adjustments to the deployment to avoid a repeat of the problem.

	That said, we unfortunately didn’t receive any tickets about the problem. Again, I encourage everyone to either email [email-masked] or use the web interface at https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org when there are problems. If the net is so bad you can’t send mail, please let us know in the terminal room (köpenick). The sooner we know of the problems, the quicker we can react. The probes we’re deploying are still under development and are progressing, but we very much appreciate user reports!

	- Jim

> On Jul 20, 2016, at 12:58 PM, Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:59:26 +0200

> is often discouraging.

[ not directed at you personally ]

what keeps the cows in the pasture is the quality of the grass not the
height of the fence.

---

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 14:59:51 +0200

> room to have a set of meetings in.

Trying to reduce the tendency for people to seek other distraction or
preventing them from doing work that requires network during a session
will not end well.

-- 
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Chief Technologist, Center for Democracy & Technology [https://www.cdt.org]
1401 K ST NW STE 200, Washington DC 20005-3497
e: [email-masked], p: 202.407.8825, pgp: https://josephhall.org/gpg-key
Fingerprint: 3CA2 8D7B 9F6D DBD3 4B10  1607 5F86 6987 40A9 A871

---

From: Matthew Pounsett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:04:10 +0200

> room to have a set of meetings in.

As a person with operational responsibilities, there's no surer way to
prevent me from seeing a presentation at all than to turn off the network.

-- 
Matthew Pounsett
Senior DNS Engineer
 <http://www.rightside.co/>[email-masked]

www.rightside.co

---

From: Kyle Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:04:22 +0200

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> The availability of in-room WiFi provides even more of an incentive for
> presenters to keep their presentations engaging, on-point, and non-boring
> :-)
>

+1.

My experience in college was that professors who graded attendance were,
without a doubt, the worst lecturers.

Ben Orenstein of Thoughtbot spoke about just this problem at RailsConf in
2013, when he said that it's more important to be interesting than
informative: if you're not interesting, it doesn't matter how much
knowledge you have to share because no one will be listening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9JXH7JPjR4

Kyle