Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:53:14 +0100

If there are any questions, comments or concerns please let me or Ron
know before COB 2/25. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 12:29 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Routing Over Low power and
Lossy networks (roll) 

A new charter for the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks working
group (roll) in the Routing Area of the IETF is being considered.  The
draft charter is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)
==================================================

Current Status: Active Working Group

Last Modified: 2009-02-04

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/roll 

Chair(s):

JP Vasseur [[email-masked]]
David Culler [[email-masked]] 

Routing Area Director(s):

Ross Callon [[email-masked]]
David Ward [[email-masked]] 

Routing Area Advisor:
David Ward [[email-masked]] 

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/roll/

Description of Working Group:

Low power and Lossy networks (LLNs) are made up of many embedded devices
with limited power, memory, and processing resources. They are
interconnected by a variety of links, such as IEEE 802.15.4, Bluetooth,
Low Power WiFi, wired or other low power PLC (Powerline Communication)
links. LLNs are transitioning to an end-to-end IP-based solution to
avoid the problem of non-interoperable networks ?interconnected by
protocol translation gateways and proxies. 

Generally speaking, LLNs have at least five distinguishing
characteristics: 
- LLNs operate with a hard, very small bound on state.
- In most cases, LLN optimize for saving energy.
- Typical traffic patterns are not simply unicast flows (e.g. in some
cases most if not all traffic can be point to multipoint).
- In most cases, LLNs will be employed over link layers with restricted
  frame-sizes, thus a routing protocol for LLNs should be specifically
adapted for such link layers. 
- LLN routing protocols have to be very careful when trading off
efficiency for generality; many LLN nodes do not have resources to
waste.

These specific properties cause LLNs to have specific routing
requirements. 
As shown in a protocol survey existing routing protocols (in their
current
form) such as OSPF, IS-IS, AODV, and OLSR, do not meet these specific
routing requirements.

The Working Group is focused on routing issues for LLN.

There is a wide scope of application areas for LLNs, including
industrial
 
monitoring, building automation (HVAC, lighting, access ?control, fire),
connected homes, healthcare, environmental monitoring, urban sensor
networks (e.g. Smart Grid), asset tracking. The Working Group focuses on
routing solutions for a subset of these: industrial, connected home,
building and urban? sensor networks for which routing requirements have
been specified. These application-specific routing requirement documents
will be used for protocol design.

The Working Group focuses only on IPv6 routing architectural framework
for these application scenarios. The Framework will take into
consideration various aspects including high reliability in the presence
of time varying loss characteristics and connectivity while permitting
low-power operation with
 
very modest memory and CPU pressure in networks potentially comprising a
very large number (several thousands) of nodes. 

The Working Group will pay particular attention to routing security and
manageability (e.g., self routing configuration) issues. It will also
need to consider the transport characteristic the routing protocol
messages will experience. Mechanisms that protect an LLN from congestion
collapse or that establish some degree of fairness between concurrent
communication sessions are out of scope of the Working Group. It is
expected that upper-layer applications utilizing LLNs define appropriate
mechanisms.

Work Items:

- Specification of routing metrics used in path calculation. This
includes static and dynamic link/node attributes required for routing in
LLNs.

- Provide an architectural framework for routing and path selection at
  Layer 3 (Routing for LLN Architecture) that addresses such issues as
  whether LLN routing require a distributed and/or centralized path
computation
  models, whether additional hierarchy is necessary and how it is
applied.
 
  Manageability will be considered with each approach, along with
various

  trade-offs for maintaining low power operation, including the presence

  of non-trivial loss and networks with a very large number of nodes.

- Produce a routing security framework for routing in LLNs.

- Protocol work: In light of the application specific routing
requirements, the Working Group will either specify a new protocol
and/or will select an existing routing protocol (with the appropriate
extensions in cooperation with the relevant Working Group).

- Documentation of applicability statement of ROLL routing protocols.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit Routing requirements for Industrial applications to the IESG
to be considered as an Informational RFC.

Done Submit Routing requirements for Connected Home networks
applications to the IESG to be considered as an Informational RFC.

Done Submit Routing requirements for Building applications to the IESG
to be considered as an Informational RFC.

Done Submit Routing requirements for Urban networks applications to the
IESG to be considered as an Informational RFC.

July 2009 Submit Routing metrics for LLNs document to the IESG to be
considered as a Proposed Standard.

Feb 2009 Submit Protocol Survey to the IESG to be considered as an
Informational RFC.

April 2009 Submit Security Framework to the IESG to be considered as an
Informational RFC

May 2009   Submit the Routing for LLNs Architecture document to the IESG
as an Informational RFC.

July 2009  Submit first draft of ROLL routing protocol specification as
Proposed Standard.

Nov 2009   Submit first draft of the MIB module of the ROLL routing
protocol specification.

Feb 2010   Submit the ROLL routing protocol specification to the IESG as
Proposed Standard.

March 2010 Submit the MIB module of the ROLL routing protocol
specification to the IESG as Proposed Standard.

April 2010 Evaluate WG progress, recharter or close.