Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-11.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:46:53 +0100

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-proto-11.txt

Technical Summary:

The Network Time Protocol (NTP) is widely used to synchronize computer
clocks in the Internet. This document describes NTP Version 4 (NTPv4),
which is backwards compatible with NTP Version 3 (NTPv3) described in
RFC 1305, as well as previous versions of the protocol. NTPv4 includes a
modified protocol header to accommodate the Internet Protocol Version 6
address family. NTPv4 includes fundamental improvements in the
mitigation and discipline algorithms which extend the potential accuracy
to the tens of microseconds with modern workstations and fast LANs. It
includes a dynamic server discovery scheme, so that in many cases
specific server configuration is not required. It corrects certain
errors in the NTPv3 design and implementation and includes an optional
extension mechanism.

Working Group Summary:

The NTP working group has done extensive reviews of this document, and
it reflects the consensus of the working group.

Document Quality:

This document has been reviewed by several members of the
[email-masked] mailing list and by the NTP WG chairs.

RFC Editor Note

  (Insert RFC Editor Note here or remove section)

IRTF Note

  (Insert IRTF Note here or remove section)

IESG Note

  (Insert IESG Note here or remove section)

IANA Note

  (Insert IANA Note here or remove section)