Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Inter-Domain Routing (idr)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:12:15 +0100

Please let me know if there are any issues with the text of the proposed
new charter until 2/18 COB the latest. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 12:25 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Internal WG Review: Recharter of Inter-Domain Routing (idr) 

A new charter for the Inter-Domain Routing working group (idr) in the
Routing Area of the IETF is being considered.  The draft charter is
provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.&#8232;&#8232;The IETF Secretariat

Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
--------------------------------------------------
&#8232;Last Modified: 2009-02-12

Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
Susan Hares [[email-masked]]
Yakov Rekhter [[email-masked]]

Routing Area Director(s):
Ross Callon [[email-masked]]
David Ward [[email-masked]]

Routing Area Advisor:
David Ward [[email-masked]]

Technical Advisor(s):
Randall Atkinson [[email-masked]] Sharon Chisholm
[[email-masked]]

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe idr-post
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Inter-Domain Routing Working Group is chartered to standardize and
promote the Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP-4) [RFC 1771] capable
of supporting policy based routing for TCP/IP internets.

The objective is to promote the use of BGP-4 to support IP version
4 and IP version 6. The working group will continue to work on improving
the scalability of BGP.

The current tasks of the WG are limited to:

- Revise and clarify the base BGP4 document (RFC 1771). Note that RFC
1771 no longer documents existing practice and one goal of the update is
document existing practice. Determine whether the document can be
advanced as full Standard or needs to recycle at Proposed or Draft
Standard.

- Submit updated base BGP4 MIB to accompany the revised base BGP4
document.

Once these tasks are finished (means WG consensus, WG Last Call, AD
Review, IETF Last Call, and IESG approval for publication), work will
progress on the following:

- Review and Evaluate Existing RFCs on AS Confederations and Route
Reflection. If changes are needed, create and advance revisions.

- Review and evaluate Multiprotocol BGP (RFC 2858) for advancement as
Draft Standard.

- Progress BGP Extended Communities along standards track.

- Extend BGP to support a 4-byte AS number, develop plan for
transitioning to usage of 4-byte AS numbers. Advance support for a
4-byte AS numbers along standards track.

- Produce BGP MIB v2 that includes support for AS Confederations, Route
Reflection, Communities, Multi-Protocol BGP, BGP Extended Communities,
support for 4-byte AS numbers.

- Progress along the IETF standards track a BGP-based mechanism that
allows a BGP speaker to send to its BGP peer a set of route filters that
the peer would use to constrain/filter its outbound routing updates to
the speaker. Currently defined in draft-ietf-idr-route-filter-03.txt.

- Progress along standards track an Outbound Router Filter (ORF) type
for BGP, that can be used to perform aspath based route filtering. The
ORF-type will support aspath based route filtering as well as regular
expression based matching for address groups.
Currently defined in draft-ietf-idr-aspath-orf-00.txt.

- Progress a BGP Graceful Restart mechanism along standards track.

- Progress Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message along standards
track.

- Progress AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 along standards
track.

- Progress Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 along standards track.

- Progress Flow Specification rules along standards track.

Tasks for this working group are limited to those listed above; new
items to be added to the charter must be approved by the IESG.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit to BGP Capability Advertisement to the IESG Done Submit BGP
Security Vulnerabilities Analysis to IESG as an Informational Done
Submit BGP4 MIB to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit BGP4 document
to IESG as a Draft Standard Done Submit Extended Communities draft to
IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit BGP Graceful Restart to IESG as
a Proposed Standard Done Submit revised text on Multi-Protocol BGP
(rfc2858bis) to IESG as a Draft Standard Done Submit Subcodes for BGP
Cease Notification Message to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit
4-byte AS ID to IESG as a Proposed Standard Done Submit Outbound Route
Filter, Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard Mar
2008 Submit AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 to IESG as a
Proposed Standard Mar 2008 Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a
Proposed Standard Mar 2008 Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a
Proposed Standard Mar 2008 Submit Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 to IESG
as a Proposed Standard 

&#8232;