Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-non-compound-09.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:48:27 +0100

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-non-compound-08.
txt

Technical Summary
This memo discusses benefits and issues that arise when allowing RTCP
packets to be transmitted with reduced size. The size can be reduced if
the rules on how to create compound packets outlined in RFC3550 are
removed or changed. Based on that analysis this memo defines certain
changes to the rules to allow feedback messages to be sent as
reduced-size RTCP packets under certain conditions when using the RTP
AVPF profile (RFC 4585). This document updates [RFC3550], [RFC3711] and
[RFC4585].

Working Group Summary
When the initial proposals for reduced-size RTCP reports were presented
(end of 2006), they provoked considerable concern and discussion because
they violated current RFC 3550 rules. Over the two years since,
agreement has been reached on the acceptable modifications to RFC 3550
rules and the concerns that have to be documented along with them. The
current document has strong WG consensus.

Document Quality
Colin Perkins and Randell Jesup provided oversight and insight
throughout the evolution of this document.

RFC Editor Note

  none