Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Evaluation: draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-01.txt to Proposed Standard

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:52:02 +0200

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mipshop-rfc5268bis-01.txt

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a protocol to improve handover latency
  due to Mobile IPv6 procedures. During handover, there is a period
  during which the Mobile Node is unable to send or receive packets
  because of link switching delay and IP protocol operations.  This
  "handover latency" resulting from standard Mobile IPv6 procedures,
  namely movement detection, new Care-of Address configuration, and
  Binding Update, is often unacceptable to real-time traffic such as
  Voice over IP (VoIP).

  This documents updates the packet formats for the Handover
  Initiate (HI) and Handover Acknowledgement (HAck) messages to
  Mobility Header Type.

Working Group Summary

  This is a quick re-issue of the RFC for FMIP, based on discussion
  in the WG that resulted in the desire to change the carrier protocol
  from ICMP to MH. The change was initiated by the 3GPP2 community
  who are the primary users of this protocol. It was viewed as a
possible
  change given the current deployment situation; later this change might
  have been impossible.

Document Quality

  There are multiple implementations of the FMIPv6 protocol. There
  are also some folks wanting to deploy this protocol for fast
  PMIPv6 handovers.

Personnel

  Document shepherd: Vijay Devarapalli
  Responsible AD: Jari Arkko

RFC Editor Note

  (Insert RFC Editor Note here or remove section)

IRTF Note

  (Insert IRTF Note here or remove section)

IESG Note

  (Insert IESG Note here or remove section)

IANA Note

  (Insert IANA Note here or remove section)