Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: Charter Update for Geopriv WG

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 12:22:58 +0200

Please let me know if you have any comments or concerns. 

Thanks and Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Cullen Jennings
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 3:44 AM
To: IESG IESG
Cc: Richard Barnes
Subject: Charter Update for Geopriv WG

bcc to iesg-secretary

Can you please put this Charter on the agenda for the next IESG call.   
It should go in the "4.1.1 Proposed for IETF Review" section.

----------------------------

The IETF has recognized that many applications are emerging that require
geographic and civic location information about resources and entities,
and that the representation and transmission of that information has
significant privacy and security implications. We have created a suite
of protocols that allow such applications to represent and transmit such
location objects and to allow users to express policies on how these
representations are exposed and used. The IETF has also begun working on
creating applications that use these capabilities, for emergency
services, general real-time communication, and other usages.

The GEOPRIV working group is chartered to continue to develop and refine
representations of location in Internet protocols, and to analyze the
authorization, integrity, and privacy requirements that must be met when
these representations of location are created, stored, and used. The
group will create and refine mechanisms for the transmission of these
representations that address the requirements that have been identified.

The working group will work with other IETF working groups and other
standards development organizations that are building applications that
use location information to ensure that the requirements are well
understood and met, and that no additional security or privacy issues
related to location are left unaddressed as these location information
is incorporated into other protocols.

It remains a goal of the GEOPRIV working group to deliver specifications
of broad applicability that will become mandatory to implement for IETF
protocols that are location aware.

This working group will not develop location-determining technology.  
However, the IETF acknowledges that information used in the location-
determination process will in some cases need to be carried over the
Internet. Where necessary, this working group will develop protocols or
protocol extensions to encode location-determination data structures
defined elsewhere. This working group will not develop technologies to
directly address any particular regulatory requirements (e.g. 9-1-1).
The group will continue to coordinate with any other IETF entities that
are working on those problems to ensure the technologies created here
meet the needs of those entities, and that the authorization, integrity,
and privacy requirements on the mechanisms provided by these
technologies continue to be met.

Goals and Milestones

Done Discuss initial geopriv scenarios and application requirements i-
d's Done Discuss initial geographic location privacy and security
requirements i-d.
Done Initial i-d on geographic information protocol design, including
privacy
     and security techniques.
Done Review charter and initial i-ds with AD, and have IESG consider
     rechartering if necessary.
Done Submit geopriv scenarios and application requirements to IESG for
     publication as Informational RFCs
Done Submit security/privacy requirements I-D to IESG for publication as
     Informational RFC.
Done Submit PIDF-LO basic geopriv object draft as a PS Done Initial
Common Rules base object draft Done Initial Common Rules GEOPRIV object
draft Done Submit DHCP Civil draft as a PS
Done     Resubmit Conveying Location Objects in RADIUS and Diameter to  
the IESG
         for publication as PS
Done     Submit Additional Civic PIDF-LO types (updating 4119) to the  
IESG for
         publication as PS
Done     Submit minimal HTTP based protocol satisfying baseline  
requirements
         specified in the Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem
         Statement and Requirements to the IESG for publication as PS
Done     Submit PIDF-LO Usage Clarifications and Recommendations  
(updating
         4119) to the IESG for publication as PS
Done     Submit Layer 7 Location Conveyance Protocol Problem Statement  
and
         Requirements to the IESG for publication as Informational
Done     Submit recommendations for representing civic addresses in  
PIDF-LO
         to the IESG for publication as BCP

Done     Submit Recommendations for Retransmission in SIP Location  
Conveyance
         to the IESG for publication as Informational

Done     Submit Requirements for Location by Reference Protocols to  
the IESG
         for publication as Informational

Done Submit a LIS Discovery Mechanism to the IESG for publication as a
PS

Jun 2009 Resubmit Geolocation Policy to the IESG for publication as PS

Sep 2009 Submit an draft for DHCP geodetic location to the IESG for
                publication as PS to obsolete 3825

Sep 2009 Submit an Architecture for Location and Location Privacy
         to the IESG for publication as Informational

Dec 2009 Submit a URI scheme for directly expressing geodetic location
to the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit a DHCP Option for a Location Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI)
         to the IESG for publication as PS

Dec 2009 Submit a Document Format for Filtering and Reporting PIDF-LO
Location
         Notifications to the IESG for publication as PS