Subject: [AAA-DOCTORS] FW: WG Review: Internationalized Resource Identifiers (iri)

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:14:12 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
IESG Secretary
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Review: Internationalized Resource Identifiers (iri) 

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Applications Area.
The IESG has not made any determination as yet.  The following draft
charter was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only.
Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by
January 12, 2010.

Internationalized Resource Identifiers (iri)
---------------------------------------
Last Modified: 12-12-2009

Current Status: Proposed Working Group 
 
Chair(s):
TBD

Applications Area Director(s):
Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]> Alexey Melnikov
<[email-masked]>

Applications Area Advisor:
Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
TBD

Description of Working Group:

This working group will produce
* A new version of RFC 3987: "Internationalized Resource Identifiers
(IRIs)" using draft-duerst-iri-bis as the base
* A new version of RFC 4395: "Guidelines and Registration Procedures for
New URI Schemes"

The new version of RFC 3987 may be split into separate documents, if, in
the opinion of the chair(s), it would facilitate distribution of the
workload and allow more focused reviews. For example, the following
breakdown has been suggested:

* Handling of Internationalized domain names in IRIs (BCP)
* Internationalization Considerations in IRIs (guidelines for BIDI,
character ranges to avoid, special considerations) (BCP)
* Syntax, parsing, comparison of IRIs (Standards track)

The working group starts with a relatively mature update to RFC 3987 in
preparation; the primary focus of the group is to resolve conflicting
uses, requirements and best practices for internationalized
URLs/URIs/IRIs and various other forms, among many specifications and
committees, while moving toward consistent use of IRIs among the wide
range of Internet applications that use them. In particular:

* The IRI specification(s) must (continue to) be suitable for normative
reference with Web and XML standards from W3C specifications. The group
should coordinate with the W3C working groups on HTML5, XML Core, and
Internationalization, as well as with IETF HTTPBIS WG to ensure
acceptability.
* The IRI specification(s) should be follow best practices for domain
names. The group should coordinate with the IETF IDNABIS working group
and Unicode Consortium to assure acceptability.
* Explicit review by experts on (and native speakers) of RTL languages,
of the recommendations for BIDI languages, is required.

The Working Group will examine at least one and possibly more URI/IRI
schemes to check that the new specification(s) are appropriate for
existing schemes. Schemes suggested for review include http:, pop:,
imap:, xmpp:, mailto:, and sip:.

Changes to RFC 3986 ("Uniform Resource Identifier (URI):
Generic Syntax") are explicitly out of scope of this charter, and may
only be considered with a charter update.

Goals and Milestones:

January 2010 Additional update of Internet drafts by editor(s) February
2010 Review of Internet Drafts, directions during W3C and IETF May 2010
Working group Last Call of all documents June 2010 Publish IRI documents
as RFCs (BCP, standards track, as
appropriate)