Subject: [Ace] FYI: Other standardization efforts

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:30:38 +0100

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/523531/securing-the-smart-home-from-toasters-to-toilets/

Most of you have probably already heard the story of the hacked 
refrigerator, but from an ACE perspective this might be an interesting 
detail:

"In the hopes of minimizing security risks posed by all this growth, 
Rogers is developing a set of security standards that companies can 
follow when developing connected products. He declines to get specific 
about what the Internet of things standards could include, but says he 
is leaning toward relying on “the more mature standards for the 
Internet” and is using the Open Web Application Security Project’s “Top 
10” security risks list as a guide, since it details many types of risks 
that could affect all kinds of Internet-connected devices."

It might just be marketing, but if they are serious about IoT security 
standards there might be some commonalities.

/Ludwig

-- 
Ludwig Seitz, PhD
SICS Swedish ICT AB
Ideon Science Park
Building Beta 2
Scheelevägen 17
SE-223 70 Lund

Phone +46(0)70-349 92 51
http://www.sics.se

---

From: Ludwig Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:35:53 +0100

> standards there might be some commonalities.

To be more specific about the possible ACE commonalities: Follow the 
“Top 10” security risks list link and have a look at "A7 Missing 
Function Level Access Control".

/Ludwig

-- 
Ludwig Seitz, PhD
SICS Swedish ICT AB
Ideon Science Park
Building Beta 2
Scheelevägen 17
SE-223 70 Lund

Phone +46(0)70-349 92 51
http://www.sics.se