Subject: [Ace] ACE pre-WG meeting

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 08:24:52 +0000

Hi all,

As was noted in the tutorial session this week, and previously in the
charter discussions, neither the ACE charter nor the use case &
requirements document provides sufficiently detailed problem statement to
be able to evaluate candidate security protocols.

The option to meet face to face and discuss the scope of ACE has been
aired on several occasions. In an recent offline discussion I got a
positive feedback about trying to arrange a meeting before Toronto. The
purpose of the meeting would be to discuss - and hopefully produce - a
more detailed problem statement proposal as input to the ACE work.

A good time could be end-of-May / beginning-of-June to allow for travel
arrangements and still leave enough time for editing drafts based on the
output.  

One possible location for this meeting is at the Ericsson premises in
Kista out of Stockholm, Sweden. Kista is a short ride from airports
Arlanda and Bromma.

For those interested in attending, please fill in this Doodle ASAP:

http://doodle.com/nw94ruh77fg3qvfg

Please note that this would not be an official interim meeting, as ACE is
not a WG yet.

Göran

---

From: "Dr. Corinna Schmitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 18:45:07 +0530

Dear Goeran,

that meeting is a good idea especially to schedule it before Toronto. 
Let's discuss those documents and the request needed to be addressed. I 
would be in at this meeting.

Regards from India,
Corinna

Am 2014-04-24 13:54, schrieb Göran Selander:
> _______________________________________________
> Ace mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace

---

From: Göran Selander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 07:03:58 +0000

I got some questions offline about this f2f interim meeting and how it is
supposed to work. 

Here is what I had in mind:

1. We try to fix a date for a 1-day meeting in about 5-6 weeks.

2. Before this meeting, people are invited to submit proposals of a more
detailed problem statement of ACE. With ³more detailed problem statement²
I mean for example properties of security protocols between nodes that a
solution should exhibit or support, e.g. whether symmetric and/or
asymmetric keys should be supported, whether negotiation of crypto suite
should be supported, support for intermittent connectivity, round trips,
processing or caching requirements etc.

The input could be in the form of mails to the ACE list, internet drafts,
or something in-between e.g. using some repository for documents. (There
will be at least one detailed input.)

3. We meet and discuss the different proposals and try to agree on a more
detailed problem statement, and then report back to the ACE list.

The reason for proposing a 1-day meeting is based on the assumption that
people have read the inputs and we can go directly to the things people
disagree on and hear the motivations (not necessarily coming to an
agreement). But I don¹t have a strong opinion about that.

Phone conference facilities could always be considered, but the intent
with such a f2f meeting is to give a chance to brainstorm, draw and
discuss pictures on a white board, etc.

What do you think about this?

Göran