Subject: [Ace] New Version Notification for draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-00.txt

From: Abhijan Bhattacharyya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 15:37:57 +0530

Dear All,
We have submitted an experimental draft proposing a cross-layer approach 
to provide both object security and channel security for pre-shared-key 
based systems. We call the proposed method 'LESS (Lightweight 
Establishment of Secure Session) on CoAP'.
This draft is prepared out of a paper on this topic that we presented in 
"Workshop on Pervasive Internet of Things and Smart Cities (PITSaC-2015)" 
in conjunction with "Advanced Information Networking and Applications 
(AINA-2015)", Gwangju, Korea, March, 2015. The draft contains the 
experimental results as well to demonstrate the benefits achieved using 
the proposed method.
Hope you find the proposed method interesting and useful. Any feedback on 
the draft is more than welcome.

The details about the draft are as below:
 
Name:                            draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap
Revision:                00
Title:                           Lightweight Establishment of Secure 
Session (LESS) on CoAP
Document date:           2015-04-17
Group:                           Individual Submission
Pages:                           15
URL:            
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-00.txt

Status:         
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap/
Htmlized:       
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-00

Abstract:
   This draft presents an experimental work proposing a lightweight
   secure session establishment scheme to mutually authenticate two
   endpoints and share the session key. It works on symmetric
   cryptosystem with pre-shared secret between the endpoints during
   provisioning. The main algorithm is proposed as a generic concept.
   This draft further describes how the generic concept can be modeled
   as simple CoAP request/response pairs. Thus the proposed scheme
   enables CoAP with inherent security which might be useful for object
   security without requiring any secure transport. Still further, this
   draft demonstrates how the scheme could be integrated with the
   record encryption mechanism of DTLS-PSK. It reuses the DTLS session
   parameter structure without any modification. Thus channel security
   for the whole application message can be provided. So the scheme is
   a cross-layer mechanism such that the session establishment is
   performed in CoAP and channel encryption is performed in the
   transport layer reusing only the record encryption mechanism of
   DTLS-PSK. The scheme uses all standard encryption libraries. The
   lightweight nature and performance improvement is demonstrated with
   some supporting comparative results.

Regards
Abhijan Bhattacharyya
Associate Consultant
Scientist, Innovation Lab, Kolkata, India
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.tcs.com
____________________________________________
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Consulting
____________________________________________
=====-----=====-----=====
Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
message and/or attachments to it may contain 
confidential or privileged information. If you are 
not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, 
review, distribution, printing or copying of the 
information contained in this e-mail message 
and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If 
you have received this communication in error, 
please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and 
immediately and permanently delete the message 
and any attachments. Thank you