Subject: [Ace] ACE Status Update and Planning

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 10:28:41 +0100

Hi all,

here is a short summary of recent activities and some planning
activities. (Below there are also some questions for you.)

Let me start with a summary of what happened recently:

* A few days before Christmas 'Authorization for the Internet of Things
using OAuth 2.0' was published (which reflected the consensus from the
ACE f2f meeting in Yokohama and the discussions on the list afterwards).

Here is the link:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg01603.html

A Github repository was created at
https://github.com/LudwigSeitz/ace-oauth, which is also used to track
open issues. Here is the link to the open issues:
https://github.com/LudwigSeitz/ace-oauth/issues

* IAB Workshop on Semantic Interoperability

To get discussions between different SDOs about interoperability at the
object level going the IAB announced a workshop and I posted the
announcement to the list, see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg01609.html

The workshop page itself can be found here:
https://www.iab.org/activities/workshops/iotsi/

* CBOR Web Token

We had a discussion about the appropriate home for doing the
standardization work around the CBOR-based encoding of the JWT and we
finally concluded that the best place is the ACE working group.

Here is the draft announcement mail Mike distributed:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg01593.html

We will start a call for adoption any day.

* OMA LWM2M Tutorial

We ran a tutorial about LWM2M before Christmas and the slides&recording
was posted to the list:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg01604.html

We appreciate volunteers to give talks about other standardization
activities. Please drop us a mail if you have time and interest.

In an attempt to update the milestones we need your input for planning
purposes.

* The 'Use Case' document is in AUTH48 and will be published as an RFC
soon.

* The ACE architecture/actors document needs to be finished and I had a
chat with Carsten about the open issues. I am sure that Carsten will
post a mail to the list soon.

* The 'Authorization for the Internet of Things using OAuth 2.0'
specification needs to advance and the issues need to be close. It would
be good to get some early implementation work started. There is also a
Hackthon at the upcoming IETF meeting.

QUESTION: Are you planning to attend the upcoming IETF meeting (and the
ACE meeting in particular)? (Drop us a private mail)

QUESTION: Are you interested in participating at the hackathon at the
upcoming IETF meeting to work on ACE-related topics? (Drop us a private
mail)

QUESTION: Do you do have resources to contribute to
implementation/prototyping efforts in the next few months? (Drop us a
private mail)

There is also a workshop on OAuth security on the week before the IETF
meeting in Berlin, see announcement at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oauth/current/msg15339.html. The
IoT usage of OAuth could be discussed there if researchers and others do
their security analysis.

QUESTION: Are you planning to attend the security workshop in July?
(Drop us a private mail)

We might need to do a bit of document management with
<draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz> to split profiles into separate drafts.
This may help us to involve more persons actively in the work.

We are also thinking about how to get interoperability testing started
and organized. Of course, we will first need to reach a state where the
specification is solid enough. I have been reaching out to the OpenID
Foundation to find out whether there is a chance to re-use some of their
testing and certification infrastructure. Other ideas are also welcome!

Please let us know if you think we should be looking into other topics
as well as part of the ACE work.

Ciao
Hannes & Kepeng

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:50:08 +0100

So far, we haven't received any responses. For planning purposes it
would be good to get an answer to my questions below:

> ACE meeting in particular)? 
> 
> upcoming IETF meeting to work on ACE-related topics? 
> 
> QUESTION: Are you planning to attend the OAuth security workshop in July?
> (Drop us a private mail)
>

Ciao
Hannes & Kepeng