Subject: [Ace] Clock Synchronization Design Team Meeting Minutes (9th May 2016)

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 11:37:20 +0200

Hi all,

last Monday we met to kick-off the design team work on the clock
synchronization topic discussed at the last IETF meeting and announced
at http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ace/current/msg01770.html

The following persons attended the call:

 * Kepeng
 * Carsten
 * Renzo
 * myself

We spent the meeting time to discuss how to structure our work. As a
reminder, we are trying to identify what the implications are when a
device does not have a real-time clock or if it has a real-time clock
but does not use a time synchronization mechanism (such as NTP).

Renzo presented a slide deck where he summarized various protocols used
for authentication that do not rely on synchronized time to ensure
freshness.

Here is the slide deck:
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/95/slides/slides-95-ace-3.pdf

We agreed that it is necessary to explore the impact to the different
security services, such as authentication and authorization independently.

We concluded with the following action items:
 * Hannes to review the NTP specification.
 * Carsten to find examples for alternatives to clock synchronization.
 * Renzo to investigate DTLS/TLS with regards to clock synchronization
requirements.

The meeting on May 16th will be cancelled since that Monday is a holiday
in many countries.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 15:33:11 -0400

> https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/95/slides/slides-95-ace-3.pdf

The link from the last slide, corrected:

Otway Rees :
– http://www.lsv.ens-cachan.fr/Software/spore/otwayRees.html

(was missing trailing l)

I loved the diagrams.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-