Subject: [Ace] IETF#100 Presentations

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:48:25 +0200

Hi all,

at the last few IETF meetings we had plenty of presentations based on
new document submissions. Our security AD, Kathleen, raised concerns
that many of the presented documents had not seen prior mailing list
discussion.

Hence, the approach for the next IETF meeting will be different: only
documents discussed on the list will be placed on the agenda.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Michael StJohns <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 13:13:49 -0400

> documents discussed on the list will be placed on the agenda.

Um... what?    This begs the question of how much discussion qualifies....

I don't have a dog in the fight (currently), but this is pretty much the 
wrong way to handle this.   (And AFAICT is different than the norm for 
every other WG).

Instead 1) reserve time for things that are currently active WG items 
first, then 2) allow anyone with an idea to reserve time with some small 
preference given to ideas that have been introduced to the list whether 
they've been discussed or not.

WG F2F sessions have traditionally been where new ideas are introduced - 
and the reason is that getting high bandwidth feedback on an idea which 
may or may not be a good one tends to save painful interactions on the 
mailing list.  Those interactions include the dead silence ones where 
the author has no idea whether the silence means the idea is bad or just 
not applicable to the list readers problem set and the 100+ email chains 
where the author and the list try to figure out what each other means 
about each and every nuance of the draft.

Mike

ps - for next meeting, I assume you're talking meeting 101 not Singapore 
given that there is only about 6 weeks left until then?
>
> Ciao
> Hannes
>
> _______________________________________________
> Ace mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ace