Subject: [Acme] fulfill

From: Josh Soref <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:27:08 -0500

> A client should attempt to fulfill at most one of these challenges,

fulfill is an odd word. And "attempt" is an odd word in concert. I'm
pretty sure you're trying to say to a client "once you've fulfilled a
challenge, you do not need to fulfill any additional challenges", not
"you should only try one challenge, and if you fail, you should not
try to complete any of the others".

The "at most one" text is odd... I suppose a client could attempt to
fulfill zero challenges, but that seems pointless.

> and a server should consider any one of the challenges sufficient to make the authorization valid.

I think something like:

A server SHOULD treat the challenges portion satisfied when a client
fulfills one challenge.

That should be sufficient to tell client implementations that they
need to complete one, and that they don't need to complete more than
one. Without telling them that if they try one and fail, they
shouldn't try a different one.

FWIW, as a user, I run into this portion of the spec often. Typically
my client tries https or http. But a friendly client would be willing
to try both, stopping if the first one it tries completes, but
continuing to the second if the first fails.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 17:38:54 -0500

> On Feb 19, 2017, at 12:27 PM, Josh Soref <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

+1.  This is a significant improvement over the current text.

Russ

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:50:11 -0500

> +1.  This is a significant improvement over the current text.

SGTM.  Send a PR?

>
> Russ
> _______________________________________________
> Acme mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/acme
>

---

From: Josh Soref <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 23:31:11 -0500

> SGTM.  Send a PR?

I've tacked it into my current queue. I can't really manage dozens of
PRs for a small project.

It's bad enough that I have 3 in flight