Subject: [Actn] New version of the Charter (v1.3)

From: "King, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 08:29:47 +0000

Hi All,

Please find a new version of the ACTN Charter:

https://sites.google.com/site/actnbof/home/charter-proposal

We are now up to version 1.3. Recent updates include:

- Clearer outline of the ACTN architecture and components
- More detailed description of the work items
- Propose that any protocol work should require a re-charter
- Various NITS and grammar updates

There has been a significant amount of discussion off list, via an informal design team. Please move all discussion online so we can share thoughts and clarifications with all IETF participants.

Br, Dan and Young.

---

From: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:02:16 +0000

Hi Dan,

Thanks for uploading the newer version (1.3) of the charter.

I just wanted to point out that we do actually propose protocol work within the scope. If I rehash the exact working in the update, it reads as follows:

The working group will work on the following items:

- Complete the architecture that describes the basic building blocks to
 enable transport network vitalization to support use cases.

- Complete the specification of operator-driven use cases to address the
 following initial items:
 o Control and operation of virtual networks for core transport Packet
 Optical Integration (POI). (e.g., MPLS-TP, OTN/WSON)
 o Control and operation of virtual networks for mobile backhaul multi-
 technology transport (e.g., MPLS-TP and MPLS/OTN)
 o Data Center Operator's interconnection with optical transport
 network infrastructure providers to support dynamic virtual circuit
 services.
 o Multi-tenant support to allow virtual network information query,
 virtual network negotiation, creation/deletion and modification.
 o Synchronization of network resources view across control of physical
 and virtual networks.
 o Dynamic service control and monitoring across all entities.

 Initial work within the working group will be limited to a single
 operator administrative domain with an exception for the Data Center
 operation use case.

- Evaluate Information models / data models to support the use cases.

- Develop requirements to support APIs/protocols, encoding languages,
 and data models including issues of security, privacy and trust
 mechanisms that provide control and abstraction across domain
 boundaries (and therefore across trust boundaries).

- Evaluate existing IETF and other protocols, encoding languages and
 data models to fulfill the requirements.

- Develop protocol extensions.

The working group will determine if new protocol or extensions to
existing protocols are necessary. If the working group determines they
are necessary, then it will develop new protocols within the working
group; on the other hand, any extensions to existing protocols would be
done with interactions with other working groups where possible.

Where the need for data models is identified, the working group will
first examine data models already developed by other working groups.

Regards,
Young

From: ACTN [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of King, Daniel
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Actn] New version of the Charter (v1.3)

Hi All,

Br, Dan and Young.

---

From: Leeyoung <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:02:16 +0000

Hi Dan,

Regards,
Young

Hi All,

Br, Dan and Young.

---

From: "King, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 13:45:12 +0000

Hi Young,

Works for me.

Br, Dan,

From: Leeyoung [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 26 September 2014 23:02
To: King, Daniel; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: New version of the Charter (v1.3)

Hi Dan,

Regards,
Young

From: ACTN [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of King, Daniel
Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:30 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
Subject: [Actn] New version of the Charter (v1.3)

Hi All,

Br, Dan and Young.