Subject: [Add] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02.txt

From: tirumal reddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 15:49:38 +0530

Hi all,

We prepared an updated version of
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02 to
address comments from Neil. It discusses how a DNS client can authenticate
it is connecting to a DoH/DoT server hosted by a specific organization
(e.g., ISP). We now rely on I-D.pp-add-resinfo to retrieve the Policy
Assertion Token (PAT).

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,
-Tiru

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 at 11:27
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02.txt
To: Dan Wing <[email-masked]>, Mohamed Boucadair <
[email-masked]>, Tirumaleswar Reddy.K <[email-masked]>,
Michael C. Richardson <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tirumaleswar Reddy and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection
Revision:       02
Title:          DNS Server Selection: DNS Server Information with Assertion
Token
Document date:  2020-05-27
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          23
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02

Abstract:
   The document defines a mechanism that allows communication of DNS
   resolver information to DNS clients for use in server selection
   decisions.  In particular, the document defines a mechanism for a DNS
   server to communicate its filtering policy and privacy statement URL
   to DNS clients.  This information is cryptographically signed to
   attest its authenticity.  Such information is used for the selection
   of DNS resolvers.  Typically, evaluating the DNS privacy statement,
   filtering policy, and the signatory, DNS clients with minimum human
   intervention can select the DNS server that best supports the user's
   desired privacy and filtering policy.

   This assertion is useful for encrypted DNS (e.g., DNS-over-TLS and
   DNS-over-HTTPS) servers that are either public resolvers or are
   discovered in a local network.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Vittorio Bertola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2020 16:32:00 +0200 (CEST)

>     Il 28/05/2020 12:19 tirumal reddy <[email-masked]> ha scritto:
> 
> 
>     Hi all,
> 
>     We prepared an updated version of https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reddy-add-server-policy-selection-02 to address comments from Neil. It discusses how a DNS client can authenticate it is connecting to a DoH/DoT server hosted by a specific organization (e.g., ISP). We now rely on I-D.pp-add-resinfo to retrieve the Policy Assertion Token (PAT).
> 
>     Comments are welcome.
> 
Thanks for this work. I think we need feedback by client developers that would consume this information. You might need something more detailed or specific to express the server's policies; for example, machine-readable indication of authentication support, logging policies, or fine-grained description of filtering policies could be used by clients that want to standardize their analysis and presentation of server features. It's good to have an extension mechanism, but there would still be the need for agreement on what the new claims mean.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
[email-masked] mailto:[email-masked] 
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy