Subject: [Adslmib] dsl2002.298 and SCM LCS MIB

From: Flemisch Felix <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 21:41:49 +0200

Hello Sabit,

Moti Morgenstern wrote on Sunday 02 March 2003 (see msg00178.html):

"For the VDSL, the DSLF decided to extract the line code specific parameters
from the basic MIB only after the members reviewed a contribution from NLC
(dsl2002.298) claiming that SCM specific parameters can be determined
according to other, generic type, parameters. The problem is that the DSLF
discovered only recently that few of those generic parameters are not
present in the MIB so configuring a SCM line is impossible without
additional parameters.
So, I suggest adding the two generic parameters Overhead (%) and Burst
Protection (ms) to the MIB, in order to allow determining the Fast Codeword
Size and FEC Size for SCM links."

But Moti is not aware of the semantics of the proposed parameters
(see msg00191.html):  "NLC ... to ... provide soon the definitions
for the two alternative parameters they mentioned (i.e.,
overhead-percentage and burst protection)".

Therefore, I would like to ask you, Sabit, to resolve asap these issues
and the following questions and request of mine (see msg00183.html):

Are you proposing to add the parameters vdslChanOverhead (UNITS "%") and
vdslChanBurstProtection (UNITS "ms") to VdslChanEntry, which shall be not
for ifType interleave(124)?  Please provide a formal DESCRIPTION and how they
are used for SCM lines.  After adding these two parameters, is it then clear
that basic configuration of SCM lines is possible, or might something else
be needed or useful?

If this is the case, and since these extensions are compatible with TR-057
and RFC 2662, I agree to add them to IETF's VDSL MIB and don't see any reason
why anybody should not agree.

Best regards,

Felix Flemisch
--------------------------------------
SIEMENS AG
Information and Communication Networks
Carrier Products Systems Engineering
Hofmannstr. 51
D-81359 Munich
Tel    +49 89 722 62175
e-Mail [email-masked]
--------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 08:55:52 -0600

> why anybody should not agree.

You guys hash this out then.  I'll get to work on the remainder of
the list I posted.

Regards,
Bob Ray

-- 

"I'm not a fan of real life. Real life's got some strange kind of
rules." -- Nick Nolte