Subject: Re: [Adslmib] Queries regarding RFC 3276.

From: Bob Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 09:05:46 -0500

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 10:22, Venkata Balaji Grandhi (balajigv) wrote:
> Hi,

Good morning!  Hope I didn't take too long to reply.  I had
to verify a few things lest I lead you astray (thanks Rajesh!).
 
> 1. When should the "configInitFailure(7)" and "protocolInitFailure(8)"
> bits in "hdsl2ShdslEndpointCurrStatus" object be set?    

configInitFailure(7): When an xTU is unable to comply to the applied
  configuration.
protocolInitFailure(8): When a protocol violation or unknown/invalid
  message is detected.

<humor>

    Imagine you make a telephone call.

    The remote end answers (establishes a connection based upon a
    somewhat stable configuration), but it is a dog which has knocked
    the receiver off the hook (as it was startled by the ring).

    You could say anything you want, but the dog just looks at the
       receiver.

    "Place the receiver back on the hook."

    "Woof."

    "Get your master to the phone."

    "Woof."

    "I feed dogs like you to my lizards."

    "Woof."

</humor>
 
> 2. What is "normalLoopback(2)" and "specialLoopback(3)"  ( w.r.t.
> "hdsl2ShdslMaintLoopbackConfig")?

specialLoopback(3) is defined for HDSL2/SHDSL xTU-R only as a
Maintenance Termination Unit (MTU) loopback (see ITU-T G.997.1 Sec
9.5.5.7.20)

> And, how do local loopback(analog or digital) and remote loopback map
> on to them?

If it's not defined in g.shdsl, it doesn't.  If you have proprietary
test modes you want to implement, you'll have to define other methods of
configuring, initiating, monitoring, and terminating them.

For example, if your marketing department insists that there is some
great gaping hole in the market for a box that is capable of sending
and verifying repeated sequences of smallish prime numbers ...

> 3. How should  "hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfile" and
> "hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfile" be applied to STU-R, from STU-C,
>     since most of the elements of the profle tables cannot be
> configured on STU-R using EOC messages.

The thresholds are intended for Alarm reporting to the SNMP Manager, and
can be maintained locally if necessary (i.e. they do not have to be
configured in individual devices).

> 3. How should  "hdsl2ShdslSpanConfProfile" and
> "hdsl2ShdslEndpointAlarmConfProfile" be applied to STU-R, from STU-C,
>     since most of the elements of the profle tables cannot be
> configured on STU-R using EOC messages.

The MIB was designed to be usable by an SNMP agent on either end.  If
you cannot configure some parameter in the STU-R from the STU-C, then
you simply cannot do it.  Similarly, the STU-R may be prohibited from
configuring the STU-C.

You may avail yourself of the hooks in the EOC to perform proprietary
configuration operations (in the event that you control both ends of the
link).

-- 
Bob Ray <[email-masked]>

_______________________________________________
Adslmib mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/adslmib

---

From: "Venkata Balaji Grandhi \(balajigv\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 01:53:23 +0530

Hi Bob,

I am trying to set local loopback of  "hdsl2ShdslMaintLoopbackConfig" of
XTU-R,
from XTU-C (here I am trying to manage the units in Span from XTU-C), the
line will go
down and I will not be able to manage the XTU-R.

My question is:
Does "normalLoopback(2)" map to local loopback?
Can you please confirm.

Thanks & Regards
Balaji G V

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Ray [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 7:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: adslmib mail list; Rajesh Abbi
Subject: Re: [Adslmib] Queries regarding RFC 3276.

 

<humor>

    "Woof."

    "Woof."

    "Woof."

</humor>
 
> "hdsl2ShdslMaintLoopbackConfig")?

specialLoopback(3) is defined for HDSL2/SHDSL xTU-R only as a Maintenance
Termination Unit (MTU) loopback (see ITU-T G.997.1 Sec
9.5.5.7.20)

> And, how do local loopback(analog or digital) and remote loopback map 

If it's not defined in g.shdsl, it doesn't.  If you have proprietary test
modes you want to implement, you'll have to define other methods of
configuring, initiating, monitoring, and terminating them.

For example, if your marketing department insists that there is some great
gaping hole in the market for a box that is capable of sending and verifying
repeated sequences of smallish prime numbers ...

> configured on STU-R using EOC messages.

The thresholds are intended for Alarm reporting to the SNMP Manager, and can
be maintained locally if necessary (i.e. they do not have to be configured
in individual devices).

> configured on STU-R using EOC messages.

The MIB was designed to be usable by an SNMP agent on either end.  If you
cannot configure some parameter in the STU-R from the STU-C, then you simply
cannot do it.  Similarly, the STU-R may be prohibited from configuring the
STU-C.

-- 
Bob Ray <[email-masked]>