Subject: Re: open issues in agentX MIB

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 22:03:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

> Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:15:26 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Martin Jacobsson <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: open issues in agentX MIB
...
> Or change it to something like this:
> 
> - Provide statistics about the protocol operation to help
>   solving problems with subagents.
...

A question for implementors of AgentX's predecessor protocols (DPI, 
DPIv2, eSNMP, SMUX, c.):

Did you find such MIB objects necessary or useful?

A question for the bakeoff participants:
Would such MIB objects have helped the bakeoff go smoother?

My own experience (SMUX and several SMUX-like protocols) was that
such objects were not necessary.  Nice in some debugging situations
perhaps, but not really the sort of thing one would use in a production
configuration.  If someone REALLY wanted to instrument the heck out of
the agent/subagent dialogue, perhaps an Applmib applicability statement
would be appropriate.  ;-)

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mike Daniele <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 98 09:20:34 -0400

Hi,

>Would such MIB objects have helped the bakeoff go smoother?

No.  More detailed information (packet traces, printf-s :-) tend to be
used in bakeoffs and debugging situations.

One counter that seems like it would be useful in a production 
environment is a count of PDUs dispatched to each registered region 
(so would be in AgentXRegistrationEntry).

This would give humans an easy way to verify how the master agent
is dispatching, which could be very useful.  Issue a few SNMP get/nexts
for regions of interest, then go check what counters bumped.

Mike