Subject: Post-IETF AgentX MIB Issues update.

From: Lauren Heintz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:05:53 -0700

FYI:

The following is a list of current issues and their current
"strawman" resolutions as I believe I understand things to
have been determined at the Chicago IETF.

Related issues have been grouped (in parentheses) to
simplify matters from here on out.  The issue numbers
correspond to the issues I discussed at the IETF AgentX
WG session and which I had posted on the mail-list just
before the IETF.

Lauren

------------------------------------------------------------
NEED CONSENSUS:

Issues 8 (3,7): AgentX error counters need to be defined (unless
goal 4 in Section 2 of RFC2257 is instead removed).  Not clear
yet whether error counters should be wholly contained in a new
table, or each of the current tables would contain a few new
columns to represent important error counters that pertain to
the associated connection, session, or registration.

Issue 18: Should the agentxConnectionTable be removed and
pertinent information instead be included in the agentxSessionTable?

        Rationale for removal: The table is overkill -- especially
        for implementations that open few sessions on a single
        connection.  The address and domain info could be added to
        the session table.  Although this info would be redundant
        for each session entry using the same connection, it is
        anticipated that most implementations would use only one
        session per connection.

Issue 19: Should agentxSessionAdminStatus be of type RowStatus?

        Rationale for using RowStatus: The current possible
        values for agentxSessionAdminStatus are "up(1)" and "down(2)",
        which in essence determine if the associated entry (and
        the logical session which it defines) is active or should
        be removed.  The purpose of RowStatus, on the other hand,
        is to "manage the creation and deletion of conceptual rows."
        (first sentence of RowStatus description in RFC 1903).

------------------------------------------------------------
CONSENSUS FORMED:  Resolution for the following issues seem
to have reached a consensus (as indicated).

Issue 1: TDomain and TAddres TC definitions will be provided
somewhere other than the AgentX MIB, so will be removed.

Issue 2: agentxSessionIndex should be the same as h.SessionID.
However, this may depend on how RFC2257 is finalized.

Issue 4: agentxRegEnd will be replaced by agentxRegRangeSubid and
agentxRegUpperBound so the entry will unambiguously reflect the
protocol elements.

Issues 5 (6): Table indicing will reflect inter-table relationships.
If an error table is added, it will be indexed by agentxSessionIndex.
If the connection table is deleted, agentxConnIndex will be deleted
from all other tables as an index.

Issue 9: DEFVALs for all read-only row objects will be removed.

Issue 10: The last sentence in the agentxSessionEntry description
will be removed.  Issue 19 could render this issue obsolete!

Issue 11: The UTF8String TC will be removed and its references
will be replaced by snmpAdminString.

Issue 12: Comment regarding sysObjectID will be removed from
the description of the agentxSessionObjectID.

Issue 13 (15, 16): Each table will be consistent and have an
associated "time of last change" scalar but not a "number of
entries" scalar.

Issue 14: agentxConnTransportAddr description will be updated
to reflect possibility of NULL values for some types of
transports.  Issue 18 could render this issue obsolete!

Issue 17: The comment "... or sysOrTable?" under the
agentxSessionObjectID definition will be removed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lauren Heintz                 BMC Software, Inc. (Formerly PEER Networks) 
Voice: +1 408 616-3169        Silicon Valley Division 
Fax:   +1 408 616-3339        965 Stewart Drive 
Email: [email-masked]  Sunnyvale, California 94086 USA 
------------------------------------------------------------------------