Subject: Re: AgentX MIB issue 6

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 22:29:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - 

|From: [email-masked] (T. Max Devlin)
|To: [email-masked]
|Subject: Re: AgentX MIB issue 6
|Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 05:27:23 GMT
|References: <[email-masked]>
...
|For a "gestalt" opinion, if you don't mind, using h.SessionID as a
|local-context identifier might be extremely beneficial from the protocol side,
|it proves problematic from the modeling side.  I realize we have only so many
|cycles to do a job, but instrumentation MUST be built in from the ground up if
|it is ever going to be reliable.

I fail to see what the modeling problem would be.  The idea that
h.SessionID be unique across all connections is rather like saying that
an X.25 LCN would have to be unique across all links, or that house
numbers must be unique across all streets.

|The value of the use of multiple indexes for the table would be compromised by
|allowing h.SessionID, by reference the session identifier in the natural
|hierarchy, to be non-unique in a "global" sense.
...

I don't see how local (rather than global) uniqueness of h.SessionID
makes the index tuple any less suitable, since it's the other element of
the tuple that limits the scope of uniqueness anyway.

 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           Email: [email-masked]      http://www.bmc.com     
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy, I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 -----------------------------------------------------------------------