Subject: Re: AgentX implications of rfc 1905 changes

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 19:13:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

> Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 18:22:27 -0700
> From: Lauren Heintz <[email-masked]>
> To: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: AgentX implications of rfc 1905 changes
> References: <[email-masked]>
...
> > > > It sounds to me like it would be a new
> > > > phase after the initial TestSets have been distributed, but before any
> > > > CommitSets are issued.
> 
> How would this help?  What would the new phase do for a given subagent that
> couldn't be done in the testSet (or I guess, the commitSet) phase?

That's one of the problems with the proposed new error code.  You'll
have to argue that point with the folks that are advocating the change.

> Also, in order to be able determine if a SET request is too complex or not,
> might not AgentX be required to support subagent-to-subagent communication
> in some cases?

Ditto.

...
> Lastly, if I read the above proposed text correctly (specifically the part
> that says "if it is detected"), it seems to suggest that requestTooComplex
> is something that might optionally be returned.  

Yes; that's another part of the proposal that I don't like.

>                                                  If that's the case, then
> isn't AgentX fine the way it is currently specified, and maybe the only
> change "technically" needed would be to add another of those disclaimer
> comments about which kinds of subagents AgentX supports and doesn't support?
...

That'd be ok with me, though I don't think that's what the folks
advocating this new error code have in mind.

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn           [email-masked]     http://www.bmc.com/
 Voice: +1 408 616-3100  BMC Software, Inc.           965 Stewart Drive
 Fax:   +1 408 616-3101  Sunnyvale, California 94086  USA
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Any relationship between my opinions and BMC's is probably coincidental.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------