Subject: [alto] New draft ""ALTO Network-to-Server and Server-to-Server APIs"

From: Jan Medved <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 21:20:04 -0800

Hi,

We submitted a new draft, "ALTO Network-to-Server and Server-to-Server APIs". In the draft we discuss the need for standardized APIs between the ALTO Server and the network, and between ALTO Servers themselves.  The draft also contains proposals for each of the APIs.

The URL for the draft is: http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-medved-alto-svr-apis.

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Jan Medved

---

From: stefano previdi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:03:58 +0100

Jan,

the approach looks interesting to me. Obviously one may argue that
the Network-to-Server API already exists (and it's called OSPF, ISIS
and BGP) but probably something can be done in order to define an
abstraction level of routing databases so to optimize both
implementations and APIs (i.e.: having to maintain the full routing
stack on the alto server requires significant effort).

Now, defining a routing API expands beyond ALTO context and
requirements (e.g.: network operations also uses such APIs) and we may
have to synchronize with these other contexts. Also, the draft seems
to be limited to an initial set of requirements for now, but worth to
pursue IMO.

s.

On Mar 8, 2011, at 6:20 AM, Jan Medved wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We submitted a new draft, "ALTO Network-to-Server and Server-to- 
> Server APIs". In the draft we discuss the need for standardized APIs  
> between the ALTO Server and the network, and between ALTO Servers  
> themselves.  The draft also contains proposals for each of the APIs.
>
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto