Subject: [alto] I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-protocol-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:15:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : ALTO Protocol
	Author(s)       : R. Alimi, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-protocol-07.txt
	Pages           : 66
	Date            : 2011-03-14

Networking applications today already have access to a great amount
of Inter-Provider network topology information.  For example, views
of the Internet routing table are easily available at looking glass
servers and entirely practical to be downloaded by clients.  What is
missing is knowledge of the underlying network topology from the ISP
or Content Provider (henceforth referred as Provider) point of view.
In other words, what a Provider prefers in terms of traffic
optimization -- and a way to distribute it.

The ALTO Service provides information such as preferences of network
resources with the goal of modifying network resource consumption
patterns while maintaining or improving application performance.
This document describes a protocol implementing the ALTO Service.
While such service would primarily be provided by the network (i.e.,
the ISP), content providers and third parties could also operate this
service.  Applications that could use this service are those that
have a choice in connection endpoints.  Examples of such applications
are peer-to-peer (P2P) and content delivery networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-alto-protocol-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:17:57 +0000

Can we get some information about what has been changed??

This would be much appreciated!

  Martin

[email-masked]

NEC Laboratories Europe - Network Research Division
NEC Europe Limited | Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL | Registered in England 2832014 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:i-d-announce-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 11:15 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action:draft-ietf-alto-protocol-07.txt
>

---

From: Richard Alimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:20:54 -0700

Certainly.

The major change was that we added endpoint address types. There is an
additional subsection within "ALTO Types" documenting the data types.
There are changes to the messages Network Map, Endpoint Property and
Endpoint Cost Services to support this. The requirement for a network
map covering the full IP address space (Section 4.2.1) is updated for
this as well.

Minor Changes (from comments from implementers):
(1) Indicated that the protocol version number must be an integer
(2) Examples previously still used ALTO-layer status codes as integers
(though the formal protocol description was correct). This is fixed,
and they use strings now.
(3) Updated the text specifying ALTO Message Redistribution:
  - Clarified the text in requirement in 8.1.1 . There was previously
confusion about whether the ALTO Servers needed to serve identical
information at each point in time.
  - Remove extraneous text from 8.1.3.1.
(4) The signature itself for redistribution is now base64 encoded.

I think that summarizes it.  And of course, feedback is welcome!

Rich

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 2:17 AM, Martin Stiemerling
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto
>