Subject: [alto] Fwd: WG Review: Javascript Object Signing and Encryption (jose)

From: Enrico Marocco <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:10:58 +0200

FYI -- the proposed work is relevant to ALTO, in that, if it is
approved, the redistribution mechanism for ALTO information will likely
be required to adopt the mechanism specified by the new WG (text in
draft-rescorla-jsms is probably going to the basis of such
specification). If you have any comments on the proposed charter, this
is an excellent time to let the IETF community hear them.

Enrico

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: WG Review: Javascript Object Signing and Encryption (jose)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 18:28:37 +0200
From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: IETF Announcement list <[email-masked]>

A new IETF working group has been proposed in the Security Area.  The
IESG has not made any determination as yet. The following draft charter
was submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please
send your comments to the IESG mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday,
September 6, 2011

Javascript Object Signing and Encryption (jose)
=================================================
Status: Proposed Working Group
Last updated: 2011-08-18

Chairs
    TBD

Security Area Directors:
    Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
    Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Security Area Advisor:
    Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
   General Discussion: [email-masked]
   To Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/jose>
   Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/jose/>

Description of Working Group
----------------------------

Javascript Object Notation (JSON) is a text format for the serialization
of structured data described in RFC 4627. The JSON format is often used
for serializing and transmitting structured data over a network
connection. With the increased usage of JSON in protocols in the IETF
and elsewhere, there is now a desire to offer security services such as
encryption, digital signatures, and message authentication codes (MACs)
for data that is being carried in JSON format.

Different proposals for providing such security services have already
been defined and implemented. This Working Group's task is to
standardize two security services, integrity protection (signature and
MAC) and encryption, in order to increase interoperability of security
features between protocols that use JSON.  The Working Group will base
its work on well-known message security primitives (e.g., CMS), and will
solicit input from the rest of the IETF Security Area to be sure that
the security functionality in the JSON format is correct.

This group is chartered to work on four documents:

1) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply JSON-structured
integrity protection to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data
structures.  "Integrity protection" includes public-key digital
signatures as well as symmetric-key MACs.

2) A Standards Track document specifying how to apply a JSON-structured
encryption to data, including (but not limited to) JSON data structures.

3) A Standards Track document specifying how to encode public keys as
JSON-structured objects.

4) A Standards Track document specifying mandatory-to-implement
algorithms for the other three documents.

The working group may decide to address one or more of these goals in a
single document, in which case the concrete milestones for
signing/encryption below will both be satisfied by the single document.

Goals and Milestones
--------------------

Jan 2012    Submit JSON object integrity document as a WG item.

Jan 2012    Submit JSON object encryption document as a WG item.

Jan 2012    Submit JSON key format document as a WG item.

Jan 2012    Submit JSON algorithm document as a WG item.

Jun 2012    Start Working Group Last Call on JSON object integrity
            document.

Jun 2012    Start Working Group Last Call on JSON object encryption
            document.

Jun 2012    Start Working Group Last Call on JSON key format document.

Jun 2012    Start Working Group Last Call on JSON algorithm document.

Jul 2012    Submit JSON object integrity document to IESG for
            consideration as Standards Track document.

Jul 2012    Submit JSON object encryption document to IESG for
            consideration as Standards Track document.

Jul 2012    Submit JSON key format document to IESG for consideration
            as Standards Track document.

Jul 2012    Submit JSON algorithm document to IESG for consideration
            as Standards Track document.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce