Subject: [alto] Call for participation: altonext

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:14:10 -0600

Folks: This is a reminder on protocol extension discussion
kickoff on the new altoext mailing list (list details in email
below).  There is a community of interest forming on the altoext
mailing list and feedback from people involved in the ALTO
protocol work will be surely useful and certainly welcome.

Thank you.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: ALTO extensions: new list + problem statement
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:54:49 +0100
From: Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco at telecomitalia.it>
To: alto at ietf.org <alto at ietf.org>

Hi folks,

the new altoext at ietf.org mailing list has just been created to
discuss possible extensions to the about-to-be-finished ALTO protocol.

We have also recently submitted a draft trying to summarize the
previous discussions on the subject:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marocco-alto-next

In a nutshell: the possible extensions, primarily intended to better
address the CDN/datacenter and server-to-server use cases, mainly
concern:
   + a server-to-client notification mechanism;
   + additional types of information, such as:
     o network link load (average, over some recent timeframe);
     o server load (average, over some recent timeframe);
     o availability of resources such as memory, content, installed
       applications.

The new mailing list has been created in order to get broader feedback
and to get together people with experience in different areas. If you
have an opinion on whether and why the proposed (and possibly further)
extensions will be a good or a bad idea, you can join the discussion
at: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/altoext

-- 

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)
Email: vkg@{bell-labs.com,acm.org} / [email-masked]
Web:   http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/vkg/