Subject: [alto] A generalization of ALTO abstract path vector

From: "Y. Richard Yang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 18:54:51 -0400

Dear all,

Some of us worked on a more general foundation for the abstract path vector
design. In particular, we studied a more general problem called routing
state abstraction, and proposed a more general framework called routing
state abstraction based on declarative equivalence. We plan to write up a
draft to discuss the more general design at IETF 93. More info on the paper
is below. Any comments or feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Richard

====
Title: Routing-State Abstraction Based on Declarative Equivalence

Abstract: Providing abstract views on top of raw network state can provide
substantial benefits to both the network OS, who manages the network state,
and the network control applications, who consume the network state. In
this paper, we conduct the first study to provide control applications with
access to the routing state, which is a key component of the network state.
We design a simple, efficient algorithm to look up a route query in a flow
rule manager (FRM), which is a common data structure storing a network's
routing state. More importantly, we design a simple, novel interface based
on a principle called declarative equivalence for network control
applications to query the routing state, and the network OS uses redundancy
elimination to compute equivalent, but minimal routing state, providing the
first, novel, systematic algorithm to compute abstract, compressed routing
state. We implement our design in OpenDaylight and show substantial
performance benefits.

A link to the paper:
http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/yry/research/TechReports/GWY15.pdf

---

From: Greg Bernstein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:01:53 -0700

Looks interesting. Will review Richard. Here a link to an older writeup 
along similar lines by Young Lee and myself 
http://www.grotto-networking.com/files/BandwidthConstraintModeling.pdf.

Best Regards

Greg B.

On 6/29/2015 3:54 PM, Y. Richard Yang wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Some of us worked on a more general foundation for the abstract path 
> vector design. In particular, we studied a more general problem called 
> routing state abstraction, and proposed a more general framework 
> called routing state abstraction based on declarative equivalence. We 
> plan to write up a draft to discuss the more general design at IETF 
> 93. More info on the paper is below. Any comments or feedback will be 
> greatly appreciated!
>
> Richard
>
> ====
> Abstract: Providing abstract views on top of raw network state can 
> provide substantial benefits to both the network OS, who manages the 
> network state, and the network control applications, who consume the 
> network state. In this paper, we conduct the first study to provide 
> control applications with access to the routing state, which is a key 
> component of the network state. We design a simple, efficient 
> algorithm to look up a route query in a flow rule manager (FRM), which 
> is a common data structure storing a network's routing state. More 
> importantly, we design a simple, novel interface based on a principle 
> called declarative equivalence for network control applications to 
> query the routing state, and the network OS uses redundancy 
> elimination to compute equivalent, but minimal routing state, 
> providing the first, novel, systematic algorithm to compute abstract, 
> compressed routing state. We implement our design in OpenDaylight and 
> show substantial performance benefits.
>
> A link to the paper:
> _______________________________________________
> alto mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto

​