Subject: [alto] Review of draft-xiang-alto-exascale-network-optimization-02

From: Haizhou Du <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:49:13 +0800

Hi Qiao and all,
I reviewed the latest exascale network optimization draft. In addition to
the review, the key design questions I want to raise discussions are (1)
How to describe DAG of workflow converter in more detail？ Could we give
some examples for different DAG? (2) We give some user API in section
7.2.1, Could we provide some JSON format for it? (3) In the query mode, we
also need some JSON string to describe it.

If you have any comments or suggestion, please share with me. Thank you so
much. In addition, please see my other comments in the following.

*Page 4*

Production ANd Distributed Analysis system (PanDA) in ATLAS and the Physics
Experiment Data Export system (PhEDEX) in CMS have been

*[HZ] ”AND” -> ”and”*

*Page 5*

[DRAFT-CC] and etc. to encode information about multiple types of resources
in science networks,

*[HZ] ”to” -> ”To”*

*Page 6*

Different sites in this network belong to different administration domain.

*[HZ] ”domain” -> ”domains”*

the orchestrating framework must be able to collect sufficient resource
information about different clusters/sites in real-time as well as over the
longer term,

*[HZ]”must”->”MUST”*

*Page 7*

Hence the orchestrating framework must be modular so that it can support
different dataset management systems and different orchestrating algorithms.

*[HZ]”must”->”MUST”*

The orchestrating framework must support the interaction between the
multi-resource orchestration module

*[HZ]”must”->”MUST”*

abstraction, multi-cost, cost calendar, etc. have been proposed to provide
fine-grained network information to applications.

*[HZ]”etc.” -> ”etc.,”*

*Page 10*

a large dataset transfer or analytic application always involve many
network elements in multiple clusters/sites and the absolute number of
involved network elements keep increasing as the scale of clusters increase.

*[HZ]”involve”->”involves” *

*Page 12*

STEP 6 The ALTO servers at each site accept the queries from the ALTO
client, collects resource information from the residing site and sends back
to the ALTO client.

*[HZ]”collects”->”collect”, “sends”->”send”*

*Page 13*

and the relative priorities may be modified by the resource orchestrator
depending on the role of users (regular users or administrators at
different levels),

*[HZ]”may”->”MAY”*

*Page 14*

The ALTO client should operate in different query modes depending on the
implementation of ALTO servers.

*[HZ]”should”->”SHOULD”*

*Page 15*

Each ALTO server must provide basic information services as specified in
[RFC7285] such as network map,

*[HZ]”must”->”MUST”*

*Page 16*

The multi-resource orchestrator should adjust the resource allocation decisions
based on the progress of ongoing requests, the utilization and dynamics of
cluster resources.

*[HZ]”should”->”SHOULD”*

If we have any mistake, please feel free to figure out.
Thanks a lot!
Best Regards,
*************************************************************
Haizhou
*************************************************************