Subject: [alto] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06.txt

From: Kai Gao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2017 22:57:17 +0800

Dear ALTO Working Group,

We have submitted a new version of the routing state abstraction draft. 
As always, your thoughts and comments are highly appreciated.

In previous versions, this draft used to be closely coupled with the 
path vector extension and the flow cost extension. From version -04, we 
have restructured the draft for better clarity. Now this draft serves as 
a supplement of the path vector draft, which targets the problem of 
compressing path vectors to reduce communication overhead and to improve 
privacy protection.

For that purpose, we have introduced an algorithm named "equivalent 
transformation". The algorithm is the core of a conference paper 
published earlier this year which contains the proof of correctness and 
some evaluation results.

The equivalent transformation algorithm requires a step to find 
redundant bandwidth constraints. Knowing that there might exist other 
solutions, this draft includes a relatively simple yet useful algorithm 
as a reference implementation.

The additional client-side information can be used to further improve 
the effiency of the redundancy check algorithm. We have modified the 
design to make the style more consistent with the base ALTO protocol 
than the newly proposed flow-based cost service.

The draft in its current state is a valuable supplement to the path 
vector extension. The algorithms in this draft can be used with the 
straw man approached described in Section 1 as a standalone 
implementation of the path vector extension, and can also work with 
other path vector implementations as a post-processing step.

Since the path vector extension is now adopted as a working group draft, 
we would like to hear opinions on further actions on this draft.

Thanks!

Regards,

Kai

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06.txt
Date: 	Mon, 03 Jul 2017 11:22:04 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Yang Yang <[email-masked]>, Chen Gu <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Y. Richard Yang 
<[email-masked]>, Xin Wang (Tony) <[email-masked]>, Qiao Xiang 
<[email-masked]>, Kai Gao <[email-masked]>, 
G.Robert Chen <[email-masked]>, G. Robert Chen 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06.txt
has been successfully submitted by Qiao Xiang and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction
Revision:	06
Title:		A Recommendation for Compressing ALTO Path Vectors
Document date:	2017-07-04
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		23
URL:            https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06.txt
Status:         https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06
Htmlized:       https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06
Diff:           https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gao-alto-routing-state-abstraction-06

Abstract:
    The path vector extension [I-D.ietf-alto-path-vector] has extended
    the original ALTO protocol [RFC7285] with the ability to represent a
    more detailed view of the network, containing not only end-to-end
    metrics but also information about shared bottlenecks.

    However, the view computed by straw man algorithms can contain
    redundant information and result in unnecessary communication
    overhead.  The situation gets even worse when certain ALTO extensions
    are enabled, for example, the incremental update extension
    [I-D.ietf-alto-incr-update-sse] which continuously pushes data
    changes to ALTO clients.  Redundant information can trigger
    unnecessary updates.

    In this document, an algorithm is described which can effectively
    reduce the redundancy in the network view while still providing the
    same information as in the original path vectors.  The algorithm is
    fully compatible with the path vector extension and has several by-
    products which can be leveraged by other extensions to achieve better
    performances.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat