Subject: [altoext] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01.txt]

From: Sabine Randriamasy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:39:07 +0200

Hi all,

We have submitted a new version of  
"draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule", that proposes an ALTO protocol 
extension to provide cost values in a "schedule" mode. In such a mode, a 
cost value is provided as a array  of time dependent values, along with 
attributes of this array including, number, size begin date of value 
time intervals. This information can be used by applications to schedule 
their operations at the most favorable time.

In this new version we have updated the section describing the Cost 
Scope capability, to clarify it and considering the feedback received 
during the last ALTO WG session. Any comments are wellcome.

Thanks,
Sabine

-------- Message original --------
Sujet : 	New Version Notification for 
draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01.txt
Date : 	Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:23:18 +0200
De : 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Pour : 	RANDRIAMASY, SABINE (SABINE) 
<[email-masked]>
Copie à : 	Schwan, Nico (Nico) <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Sabine Randriamasy and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule
Revision:	 01
Title:		 ALTO Cost Schedule
Creation date:	 2012-07-16
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 14
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01
Diff:            http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-schedule-01

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   bridge the gap between network and applications by provisioning
   network related information.  This allows applications to make
   informed decisions, for example when selecting a target host from a
   set of candidates.  The ALTO problem statement [RFC5693] considers
   typical applications as file sharing, real-time communication and
   live streaming peer-to-peer networks.  Recently other use cases
   focused on Content Distribution Networks and Data Centers have
   emerged [draft-jenkins-alto-cdn-use-cases-01].

   The present draft proposes to extend the cost information provided by
   the ALTO protocol.  The purpose is to broaden the decision
   possibilities of applications to not only decide 'where' to connect
   to, but also 'when' to connect.  This is useful to applications that
   have a degree of freedom on when to schedule data transfers, such as
   non-instantaneous data replication between data centers.  The draft
   therefore specifies a new cost mode, called the "schedule" mode.  In
   this mode the ALTO server offers cost maps that contain link ratings
   that are valid for a given timeframe (e.g. hourly) for a period of
   time (e.g. a day).  Besides the functional time-shift enhancement
   providing multi-timeframe cost values the extansion also allows the
   saving of a number of ALTO transactions and thus resources on the
   ALTO server and clients.

The IETF Secretariat

--