Subject: [ANCP] RE: Updated ANCP Framework

From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:13:57 +0200

Hi All,
 
there seem to be three main changes related to the updated ANCP
Framework that we would like to solicit further comments/discussion from
the WG. These are summarized below and currently all look likely to be
accepted.
 
1. Provisioning via ANCP of maximum number of multicast groups per port.

The proposal is to add the following text to the Framework doc (largely
in relation to the multicast use-case(s)):
* A high level ANCP functional requirement stating, "The ANCP MUST
support the configuration of the "maximum number of multicast
groups/streams" allowed to be received concurrently per Access Port."
* An access-node requirement (section 4.5.6) stating, "The Access Node
must be able to control the maximum number of multicast streams that is
allowed to be received concurrently per Access Port."
* A NAS requirement (section 4.6.6 ) stating, "The NAS must support
using ANCP to configure the Access Node with the "maximum number of
multicast streams" allowed to be received concurrently per Access Port."

2. Provisioning and updating via ANCP of ACLs.

This appears to be related more closely to the access-line configuration
use-case, but has an overlap with the multicast use-case too. The
proposal is to add:
* A set of high level ANCP functional requirements in Sec 4.1 stating
"   o  The ANCP MUST support partial updates of the White lists and
Black
      lists.
   o  The ANCP MUST support providing opening and closing a specific
      Access Port using the Access Loop Configuration use case.
   o  The ANCP MUST support configuring access control lists using the
      Port Configuration Mechanism.  For example, such a list may
      include source MAC addresses and destination MAC address in order
      to allow/deny access to/from specific destinations."
* The respective access-node and NAS requirements seem to be currently
missing/not proposed.

3. Grey Lists and default behaviour

This is primarily related to the multicast use-cases, and was raised at
the WG meeting. The proposal is to modify the access-node behaviour
ascribed to the access-node in draft-maglione for multicast join events.

* The modified behaviour sees the access-node deny-by-default multicast
join events unless explicitly allowed to on a list.
* Introduce an explicit grey-list to supplement the above
deny-by-default and allow the ANCP queries to be generated. 
* A fuller description of the proposal can be found by looking up the
"Grey List & Default Behaviour" thread on the WG mailing list.

Regards,
Woj.

_______________________________________________
ANCP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ancp

---

From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:54:45 +0200

Hi All,
 
my earlier mail below assumed that the latest "working version" of the
ANCP framework text has been posted by the editors to the WG, which I
now realize has not yet happened. As such, let me provide some more
background.
 
The revised ANCP framework will largely see an inclusion of the
multicast topics discussed at the last meeting and on the WG alias.
Three new items though have cropped up, and are being proposed for
inclusion in the merged framework. Our solicitation for inputs from the
WG is about these:
 
1. It is proposed that ANCP be also capable of setting the maximum
number of multicast flows allowed on a port
2. It is proposed that ANCP be capable of configuring and modifying ACLs
(not multicast specific) on a port
3. At the meeting and also on the list it was proposed to modify the
default behaviour regarding multicast queries described in
draft-maglione. 
 
My post below provides additional detail on each.
-Woj.

________________________________

	From: Wojciech Dec (wdec) 
	Sent: 25 September 2007 12:14
	To: [email-masked]
	Cc: OOGHE Sven
	Subject: [ANCP] RE: Updated ANCP Framework

	Hi All, 

	1. Provisioning via ANCP of maximum number of multicast groups
per port. 

	The proposal is to add the following text to the Framework doc
(largely in relation to the multicast use-case(s)): 
	* A high level ANCP functional requirement stating, "The ANCP
MUST support the configuration of the "maximum number of multicast
groups/streams" allowed to be received concurrently per Access Port."

	* An access-node requirement (section 4.5.6) stating, "The
Access Node must be able to control the maximum number of multicast
streams that is allowed to be received concurrently per Access Port."

	* A NAS requirement (section 4.6.6 ) stating, "The NAS must
support using ANCP to configure the Access Node with the "maximum number
of multicast streams" allowed to be received concurrently per Access
Port."

	This appears to be related more closely to the access-line
configuration use-case, but has an overlap with the multicast use-case
too. The proposal is to add:

	* A set of high level ANCP functional requirements in Sec 4.1
stating 
	"   o  The ANCP MUST support partial updates of the White lists
and Black 
	      lists. 
	   o  The ANCP MUST support providing opening and closing a
specific 
	      Access Port using the Access Loop Configuration use case. 
	   o  The ANCP MUST support configuring access control lists
using the 
	      Port Configuration Mechanism.  For example, such a list
may 
	      include source MAC addresses and destination MAC address
in order 
	      to allow/deny access to/from specific destinations." 
	* The respective access-node and NAS requirements seem to be
currently missing/not proposed. 

	This is primarily related to the multicast use-cases, and was
raised at the WG meeting. The proposal is to modify the access-node
behaviour ascribed to the access-node in draft-maglione for multicast
join events. 

	* The modified behaviour sees the access-node deny-by-default
multicast join events unless explicitly allowed to on a list.

	* Introduce an explicit grey-list to supplement the above
deny-by-default and allow the ANCP queries to be generated. 
	* A fuller description of the proposal can be found by looking
up the "Grey List & Default Behaviour" thread on the WG mailing list.

	Regards, 
	Woj.